Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

To be fair, Adams has known for months his defense core isn't good enough. 

The core not being good enough?  Disagree.  They have a Norris finalist and Samuelsson and Power as well.  The core is fine.

That the overall unit needs to be better, yes, he has known that for some time.  But again, he has values that his scouts and analytics group has put on possible trade targets and he's been very up front that he isn't going to overpay to help the ST at the expense of LT success.  Am frustrated with it too.  But don't want to see him become Tim Murray this week because of 2 ST injuries nor even become Botterill for a week.  (They both were very bad GMs.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The core not being good enough?  Disagree.  They have a Norris finalist and Samuelsson and Power as well.  The core is fine.

That the overall unit needs to be better, yes, he has known that for some time.  But again, he has values that his scouts and analytics group has put on possible trade targets and he's been very up front that he isn't going to overpay to help the ST at the expense of LT success.  Am frustrated with it too.  But don't want to see him become Tim Murray this week because of 2 ST injuries nor even become Botterill for a week.  (They both were very bad GMs.)

You're just arguing semantics. The defense isn't good enough and has no depth. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You're just arguing semantics. The defense isn't good enough and has no depth. 

Still expect him to bring in a legit 3rd pairing guy for a 3rd or a 4th.  Maybe now that Dahlin might be having limited availability he'll bring in a 2nd one as well.  We'll know within the next 5 days.

Edited by Taro T

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Still expect him to bring in a legit 3rd pairing guy for a 3rd or a 4th.  Maybe now that Dahlin might be having limited availability hell bring in a 2nd one as well.  We'll know within the next 5 days.

The longer you wait the more the price goes up - see Scandella affect.  

He has enough 2nd round picks and B level prospects to make a move to add veteran defensive help without hurting the long term plan - he needs to show the players and the fans that he is "all in" on this playoff push.   Next year anything can happen.  They are knocking on the door right now.  

Poker GIF by AllIn

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He has enough 2nd round picks and B level prospects to make a move to add veteran defensive help without hurting the long term plan - he needs to show the players and the fans that he is "all in" on this playoff push.   Next year anything can happen.  They are knocking on the door right now.  

Poker GIF by AllIn

The market this year says otherwise; according to reports there are far more D on the market than teams looking for them.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Poker GIF by AllIn

Possibly.  Of course Marek and Friedman were saying last night that a lot of GMs believe there is a "glut er surplus" of available D-men that will move at the deadline.  If so, the price will go down if anything at the deadline as the sellers find they aren't getting their price.

Just now, Taro T said:

Possibly.  Of course Marek and Friedman were saying last night that a lot of GMs believe there is a "glut er surplus" of available D-men that will move at the deadline.  If so, the price will go down if anything at the deadline as the sellers find they aren't getting their price.

We shall see.  

• Agree 1

It’s a tricky one. Our F unit is very good, we aren’t fooling ourselves when we say we have a real shot at the playoffs, in fact id say mathematically it’s more ours to lose right now than any other 1 team in the WC mix. We’ve seen how much of a benefit culture has been, can’t help but think a playoff berth potentially aids greatly on that front, both players AND fan base. And beyond that, I’m a fan first: the only thing that matters to me is becoming a playoff mainstay once again, playoffs are Dream, for me, I’d love to bring in a F through trade that helps us get there: and as mentioned, finding a piece that can salvage ONE injury is certainly a reasonable expectation. 

But I did say playoff mainstay. I whole heartedly also agree w/the idea we don’t want to deplete our system to cash out on this one chance. Adams is right to say that. 

But he did say he’s still open to something, no? I think it probably makes the most sense to take him at his word, why not: I can’t imagine he could possibly think dealing a couple lower level or medium prospects or picks would torpedo the future he’s referring to: we just don’t need them all. 

Id say it’s more likely we do not see a notable F addition but I think it’s possible 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Poker GIF by AllIn

There are 2 sides to the 'he needs to show the PLAYERS he is all in".  Over the years I have heard the opposite to that....some former players have said that is you got to where you were through 2/3rds of the season with the guys in the room, some of the player DON'T want an 'outsider' coming in, that not making a move can show that you have confidence in the guys who are there.

I'm thinking if a team is decimated with injuries hand you have 2-3 AHL call ups on your backend, the current players will want the GM to make a move. However, if a move is made becasue you just think the current team is not 'good enough', some current players (even the ones that ARE good enough) may be less inclined to be for that.

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

There are 2 sides to the 'he needs to show the PLAYERS he is all in".  Over the years I have heard the opposite to that....some former players have said that is you got to where you were through 2/3rds of the season with the guys in the room, some of the player DON'T want an 'outsider' coming in, that not making a move can show that you have confidence in the guys who are there.

I'm thinking if a team is decimated with injuries hand you have 2-3 AHL call ups on your backend, the current players will want the GM to make a move. However, if a move is made becasue you just think the current team is not 'good enough', some current players (even the ones that ARE good enough) may be less inclined to be for that.

The players are not in charge.  They have to improve on Bryson and Clague, no matter how popular these guys are.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Not sure if Yost is referring to earlier, or more recently.....

Timo Meier is reportedly asking for an extension in the $9s and I really hope Buffalo isn't foolish enough to trade and sign him for that. The salary cap going up isn't guaranteed considering the Bally Sports bankruptcy and the just-announced Warner Bros dropping all the AT&T RSNs effective 3/31. Revenues are going to take a hit.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Have Washington leave Jensen behind, we'll take good care of him. 

I wish 😞

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

The players are not in charge.  They have to improve on Bryson and Clague, no matter how popular these guys are.  

I never said the players were in charge. The post I responded to said they had to show the players he was 'all in'  If you are saying the players aren't in charge, that actually supports what I am saying in that there is ZERO need to show the players he is 'all in' to begin with.  

Can't argue both sides and maintain any credibility to that argument.

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I never said the players were in charge. The post I responded to said they had to show the players he was 'all in'  If you are saying the players aren't in charge, that actually supports what I am saying in that there is ZERO need to show the players he is 'all in' to begin with.  

Can't argue both sides and maintain any credibility to that argument.

Enough double talk.   I am arguing one side.  It’s Adams  job to improve the team. They are in the playoff run.  They are short defenseman.   He needs to be all in.  You are worried about the players feelings, and I said Adams is in charge, not the players.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Enough double talk.   I am arguing one side.  It’s Adams  job to improve the team. They are in the playoff run.  They are short defenseman.   He needs to be all in.  You are worried the players feelings, and I said Adams is in charge, not the players.  

Welcome to the dark side.  

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Welcome to the dark side.  

The conversation is there in black and white for all to see.  I have not changed my position.  My point is that Adams has got to add some help on defense. Dahlin is hurting, who knows how many other guys are nursing injuries?   We absolutely need better than Clague/Bryson at 6/7 and if someone else gets hurt we have no NHL player option at 8.   

This guys is telling me there are 2 sides and some players don't want outside help.  My point is clear, the players are not in charge, this not a democracy.  The organization cannot function that way.   Then he says I am arguing both sides. 

I am on one side, the side that says commit some resources to help this team right now by adding another NHL defenseman to the roster. 

This should be crystal clear.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.