Devon Levi Watch 2022-2023

ddaryl

After a slow start to his season, his recent play has him 4th in Sv% at .930 only .002 behind the leader.

A strong finish combined with NU making the payoffs puts him in the Hobey Baker conversation IMHO.

He had better numbers last year and won the Mike Richter (Best Goalie) while another goalie won the Hobey Baker. This seemed like a consolation prize to Levi, he was the best goalie and had a better season than the Hobey Baker winner, who was a senior.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

We shall see.

He almost definitely will be on the Sabres roster this year after NU's season is done.  If he actually gets into any games, he might surprise in a good way.  In the off-season, he's been facing NHLers since his midterms.

He won't need nearly as much time in Ra-cha-cha as most are expecting.  Could see him taking the Sabres crease by Christmas unless UPL or Comrie take their games to another level.

Yeah to ensure he signs, they'll have him on the Sabres roster.  And if they play themselves out of the playoffs, I'm betting he gets a start.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Anderson is disposable unless this team is making a playoff push, and I don't think it is.

They aren't going to discard him like Kleenex. He might retire early. But the whole reason he's here is to serve as a goaltending player/coach.

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

After watching him last night, he may better than all our goalies right now.  

Against college talent. Remember that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They aren't going to discard him like Kleenex. He might retire early. But the whole reason he's here is to serve as a goaltending player/coach.

College talent yes, but his setup, quickness and smart play is NHL quality.  Frankly better than UPL

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They're also not going to keep him if there's no reason to, and I'm sure he knows that.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

College talent yes, but his setup, quickness and smart play is NHL quality.  Frankly better than UPL

Okay. Slam dunk.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

They're also not going to keep him if there's no reason to, and I'm sure he knows that.

I think its part of Kevyn Adams' desire to treat his players with some respect. He's not going to dump him unceremoniously just because the shiny new toy arrived.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think its part of Kevyn Adams' desire to treat his players with some respect. He's not going to dump him unceremoniously just because the shiny new toy arrived.

I think Anderson is mature enough to understand that he isn't being dumped unceremoniously for a shiny new toy.  If he isn't, then the idea that he is here to lead youngsters is BS and he can go away anyway.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And in the summers he's gone up against NHL talent that raves about him.  Remember that.  😉

It's not like he's a typical college kid.  REALLY want to see him get in an actual game or 2 this year so we can see where he's at w/ the combination of being in full season game shape & the holy cow, this is the NHL adrenaline rush hitting.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And in the summers he's gone up against NHL talent that raves about him.  Remember that.  😉

It's not like he's a typical college kid.  REALLY want to see him get in an actual game or 2 this year so we can see where he's at w/ the combination of being in full season game shape & the holy cow, this is the NHL adrenaline rush hitting.

I just think our expectations of Levi will not match reality. I'm sure he will be great. I just don't want to see him rushed into the NHL because he dominated in college.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I just think our expectations of Levi will not match reality. I'm sure he will be great. I just don't want to see him rushed into the NHL because he dominated in college.

Don't want to see him rushed just because he dominated college either.

But would much rather see him get an opportunity to show where he's at & if he's ready, then let him play rather than automatically assigning him to Ra-cha-cha or even lesser places just because 7th round goalies don't play in the NHL at age 21 or 22.

How many years of Hasek's prime were wasted in the AHL & behind guys that weren't as good as him at the NHL level because they had the credentials and he was extremely unorthodox.  (Nothing could've been done to get him over the pond sooner, but he was the top goalie 5 times in the 3rd best league in world.  And he needed Fuhr being out to finally get a legit chance.)  In no way is Levi being called a Hasek here.  But am pointing out that sometimes guys that aren't prototypical have to wait too friggin' long to get their shot.  Find out where he's at ASAP & then keep refining projections based on where he really is at and err on giving him a chance too soon.  He seems to have a very good head on his shoulders, getting a chance too soon won't ruin him anymore than getting shellacked by Detroit ruined Miller.

And he's been REALLY impressive in the handful of games this kid watched.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't want to see him rushed just because he dominated college either.

But would much rather see him get an opportunity to show where he's at & if he's ready, then let him play rather than automatically assigning him to Ra-cha-cha or even lesser places just because 7th round goalies don't play in the NHL at age 21 or 22.

How many years of Hasek's prime were wasted in the AHL & behind guys that weren't as good as him at the NHL level because they had the credentials and he was extremely unorthodox.  (Nothing could've been done to get him over the pond sooner, but he was the top goalie 5 times in the 3rd best league in world.  And he needed Fuhr being out to finally get a legit chance.)  In no way is Levi being called a Hasek here.  But am pointing out that sometimes guys that aren't prototypical have to wait too friggin' long to get their shot.  Find out where he's at ASAP & then keep refining projections based on where he really is at and err on giving him a chance too soon.  He seems to have a very good head on his shoulders, getting a chance too soon won't ruin him anymore than getting shellacked by Detroit ruined Miller.

And he's been REALLY impressive in the handful of games this kid watched.

I know how we roll. If Levi gets blown out in an NHL game, likely more from the crap defense we 'll probably play in front of him, he will be labelled a bust. We do it to everybody who isn't perfect.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I know how we roll. If Levi gets blown out in an NHL game, likely more from the crap defense we 'll probably play in front of him, he will be labelled a bust. We do it to everybody who isn't perfect.

No offense, but wgaf about what the people on this board think of him?

As long as Granato, Adams, & Bales understand the situation, he & we will be fine.  And there's no reason to expect THEY won't get it.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This just happened to UPL on Saturday.  Did anyone credible call him a bust?

• Like (+1) 1

Sure there will be bumps.

But Devon Levi will be better than you are willing to let yourself believe, sooner than you are willing to let yourself believe, for longer than you are willing to let yourself believe.

He is as inevitable as a Bogosian injury, a chin-high Zhitnik slapshot or Rob Ray butchering the English language.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1