Devon Levi Watch 2022-2023

ddaryl

19 hours ago, Eleven said:

There is no way that a 2023 NCAA team is beating the 1983 NHL All Star team at the same ages they were when they were All-Stars.  It's just too silly to argue.

I actually disagree.  The game is so much faster now.  Some of that is equipment and rule changes, and some of it is player training and skills.

If you took NHL all stars right out of 1983 with 1983 equipment and mindset, I feel very confident that a good NCAA team from 2023 would blow them away.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I actually disagree.  The game is so much faster now.  Some of that is equipment and rule changes, and some of it is player training and skills.

If you took NHL all stars right out of 1983 with 1983 equipment and mindset, I feel very confident that a good NCAA team from 2023 would blow them away.

Give them 2023 equipment and they still lose. Again, the 1983 goalie is going to be destroyed but modern shooting while the 2023 goalie, let's call him Levi is going to be significantly better. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I can tell some weren't around in the 80's hockey if you think those players will allow any of these  fast fancy type skaters  past by them you haven't watched .

They would get brutally concussed and smashed every shift 

Tell me you don't understand how fast and good modern skaters are compared to the 1980s. The NCAA guys would get concussed and unless the 83 guys are just hooking and grabbing everyone, they would be toast. 

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Yes  an all star team with the #1, 3,6 and 14 ranked all time scorers in NHL history would “get destroyed” by a college team led by Logan f@cking Cooley is absolute Comedy Gold. 😂

They would. Again, ppl like you and allllll the others in here don't want to look at the objective differences in how the game of hockey has changed from 1983 to 2023. The training, the skills, the tactics. Goalie alone would put the college kids over the top, go watch goalies in 1983, a college team with their pre-shot movement would score regularly and often. There is also this false belief that everyone back then was somehow tougher, IE stronger and they weren't. Denis Savard was 5'10" and 175lbs. Matt Savoie is 5'9" and already 179lbs. 

Goalies and defenders have become much better and that is why certain era's like the 80's will probably continue to have leading all time scorers. I can think of numerous Gretzky highlights where he just goes around a defender like it is nothing and take a little wrister that the standing goalie doesn't react to. Again, I am not saying he isn't the greatest, I am saying the game has changed. 

This all gooooooes back to comment comparing a 1983 goalie to today and if I took whatever the best goalie of 1983 was, gave him all the modern equipment and put him in net, dude is getting lit up like a chirstmas tree and clarke griswolds house. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tell me you don't understand how fast and good modern skaters are compared to the 1980s. The NCAA guys would get concussed and unless the 83 guys are just hooking and grabbing everyone, they would be toast. 

I understand how good the skating is but that wouldn't work in the  trap style game they all get smashed in open hits .

Just now, Buffalonill said:

I understand how good the skating is but that wouldn't work in the  trap style game they all get smashed in open hits .

You are playing by modern rules and the trap doesn't work. 

Again though think about what Devin Levi is as a goalie and compare him to that 1983 goalie, Levi would run circles around them. 

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You are playing by modern rules and the trap doesn't work. 

Again though think about what Devin Levi is as a goalie and compare him to that 1983 goalie, Levi would run circles around them. 

I like levi  But he wouldn't be able to handle the All Star power of that roster The 80s team was absolutely ridiculous  Has so many legends on it

Good debate here.

By the eye test, I think the kids win easily... But with this logic string, I pause for thought...

Still today, an aging Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin are two of the best players in the NHL. When they were in their young primes, aging veterans like Jagr, Thornton, and Iginla right there with them.

Then when you look at those same aging veterans in their young primes, there were aging veterans that were right there with them (or even better- Lemieux, Sakic, Forsberg, etc). The cycle continues back to 1983.

The game has no doubt evolved, and so do players and equipment, but I think by my logic, the difference is closer than the eye test would lead us to believe... Especially(!) if we're comparing NCAA players to NHL players.

• Like (+1) 2

Gretzky may have had the highest hockey IQ ever. Some of those ‘83 all stars are pretty sharp too.

They would be taken by surprise in one game and be overwhelmed with the speed and skill. Goaltending would be a difference maker as well.

Over a longer period of time the Stars would find a way. They rose to the top of their profession due to hard work and determination. Give them the new equipment, some video to review and some time to practice/train and they will quickly improve.

The NCAA team is already playing at their peak.

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Gretzky may have had the highest hockey IQ ever. Some of those ‘83 all stars are pretty sharp too.

They would be taken by surprise in one game and be overwhelmed with the speed and skill. Goaltending would be a difference maker as well.

Over a longer period of time the Stars would find a way. They rose to the top of their profession due to hard work and determination. Give them the new equipment, some video to review and some time to practice/train and they will quickly improve.

This isn't accurate. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

They would. Again, ppl like you and allllll the others in here don't want to look at the objective differences in how the game of hockey has changed from 1983 to 2023. The training, the skills, the tactics. Goalie alone would put the college kids over the top, go watch goalies in 1983, a college team with their pre-shot movement would score regularly and often. There is also this false belief that everyone back then was somehow tougher, IE stronger and they weren't. Denis Savard was 5'10" and 175lbs. Matt Savoie is 5'9" and already 179lbs. 

Goalies and defenders have become much better and that is why certain era's like the 80's will probably continue to have leading all time scorers. I can think of numerous Gretzky highlights where he just goes around a defender like it is nothing and take a little wrister that the standing goalie doesn't react to. Again, I am not saying he isn't the greatest, I am saying the game has changed. 

This all gooooooes back to comment comparing a 1983 goalie to today and if I took whatever the best goalie of 1983 was, gave him all the modern equipment and put him in net, dude is getting lit up like a chirstmas tree and clarke griswolds house. 

“People like you” Jesus Christ you are an egotistical bastard.😀 I have watched all the eras of hockey from the early 80s up until today. Yes the game has evolved but your statement is still ridiculous.

Give me 1983 Grant Fuhr in today’s equipment over most of the NHL goalies today let alone College goalies like Minneota’s. The butterfly style has changed goaltending but is it better? There are tons of awful goals given up in today’s game. The best players of any era would be great today. 

Honest question: do you think the game today is the best hockey has ever been?

If you want to make the argument that an all star team from today would beat the 83 all stars then I can get into that discussion but not a college team where half the players will never sniff the NHL and only a couple will have significant pro careers. It’s just silly.

Denis Savard was great in the early 80s but he would phenomenal in today’s game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Give them 2023 equipment and they still lose. Again, the 1983 goalie is going to be destroyed but modern shooting while the 2023 goalie, let's call him Levi is going to be significantly better. 

Give them 1983 equipment & the college kids don't come close to competing.

Particularly, the goaltending would be very suspect.  As stated earlier, there was a reason there were almost 0 butterfly goalies in that era.  It wasn't because they were too dumb to use that style, it's because their bodies (particularly their knees and hips) wouldn't survive the abuse they'd suffer going into the butterfly w/ the leg pads of the day. 

And the Golden Golfers don't have a Devon Levi on their squad.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This isn't accurate. 

My point is that the old guys have more upside adjusting to the 2023 rules, equipment, strategy and style of play.

The NCAA guys are already up to speed on those fronts. The only growth left is getting a bit stronger and adjusting their games.

In a limited period of time I find there is a lot more upside in HOF talents learning new things with new tools than college level guys playing a new type of opponent.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

To the bolded, yeah, if you took those top players from the 80s, gave them a few months to train and adjust with modern equipment, training methods, and hockey tactics, they would improve a huge amount.  At that point they would probably be better than a good NCAA team.

Except for the goalie, that could be the real difference maker.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

“People like you” Jesus Christ you are an egotistical bastard.😀 I have watched all the eras of hockey from the early 80s up until today. Yes the game has evolved but your statement is still ridiculous.

Give me 1983 Grant Fuhr in today’s equipment over most of the NHL goalies today let alone College goalies like Minneota’s. The butterfly style has changed goaltending but is it better? There are tons of awful goals given up in today’s game. The best players of any era would be great today. 

Honest question: do you think the game today is the best hockey has ever been?

If you want to make the argument that an all star team from today would beat the 83 all stars then I can get into that discussion but not a college team where half the players will never sniff the NHL and only a couple will have significant pro careers. It’s just silly.

Denis Savard was great in the early 80s but he would phenomenal in today’s game.

Grant Fuhr career sv% is .887% but yea... sure if I time traveled him to 2023 he would be better than Devon Levi... right ahuh. You are living in the nostalgic past instead of looking at the truth without your nostalgic glasses on. The best players on any era would not be great today and saying something like this shows the lack of understanding of not only modern training but also the skill level of modern NHL players. 

The All Star team from 2023 would skate circles around the 1983 all stars, I am not even sure the 1983 all stars would score. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

My point is that the old guys have more upside adjusting to the 2023 rules, equipment, strategy and style of play.

The NCAA guys are already up to speed on those fronts. The only growth left is getting a bit stronger and adjusting their games.

In a limited period of time I find there is a lot more upside in HOF talents learning new things with new tools than college level guys playing a new type of opponent.

But again we are changing the parameters. If I time traveled 1983 all stars to 2023 and gave them 2 days of practice in modern equipment and put them out against a college team, they would lose. 

This isn't the same as saying the worst NHL team would get crushed by the best NCAA team today. That wouldn't happen. The level of competition today is above what was faced then not because back then wasn't good or fun or skilled but because the game has grown.