Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

You need to look at and make an effort to understand the overall, macro situation. Why do you think we used to see multiple cups in a row dynasties, and now teams can’t even win 2 in a row? It is *inarguable* statistically that it was easier to be a dominant team then, then it is now. The numbers indisputably bear that out - the playing field has levelled. Montreal isn’t lapping the field anymore like the New York Yankees used to because they are investing more than everyone else. It is harder to string consistency and greatness together 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

You are arguing parity hasn’t increased over time? You would be incorrect factually

It's a variable but not one-to-one. There really isn't perfect parity. Otherwise teams would be all at .500. 

Yet, even if there were significant parity over time, whether it's parity of 6 teams or 32 teams it's the same variable. Which is my point. There's no way to argue that the level of competition is significantly more difficult. 

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

It's a variable but not one-to-one. There really isn't perfect parity. Otherwise teams would be all at .500. 

Yet, even if there were significant parity over time, whether it's parity of 6 teams or 32 teams it's the same variable. Which is my point. There's no way to argue that the level of competition is significantly more difficult. 

There was factually less parity. It was factually easier to be a dominant team based on the construction and make up of the league during the Habs hey day

is it just a COINCIDENCE those dynasties existed and are now a thing of distant legend? We will never see another Habs or Yankees run again, ever. Because it’s impossible: that’s demonstrably an unequal comparison playing field. 

The Habs just *happened* through luck and genius to be able to put together a run no team will ever come close to again? Just unheard of managerial aptitude? And then the oilers and islanders put together runs of 4 in a row and 4 in 5 years in the next decade just coincidentally? The era favoured and facilitated dominance, there was less parity

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

The Rags picking up somebody from Vancouver too?

That move doesn't make sense on 1st glance.

From The Post…

WASHINGTON — It is all falling into place off the ice for the Rangers, who on Saturday took the required preliminary steps to clear enough cap space to accommodate the acquisition of Patrick Kane by waiving Jake Leschyshyn and trading Vitali Kravtsov to Vancouver for spare parts.

The savings through those two maneuvers should allow the Blueshirts to add Kane to the roster before their game Wednesday at Philadelphia, per CapFriendly, though they will have to do without Kane on Sunday when the Kings visit the Garden for an early evening start.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I don't want to get into a look back "what if" skirmish here but how many more points do you think the Sabres would have had if Ullmark was our primary goalie? My guess would be 8-10 points. Would the "what if" salary and extra term cost have been worth it? I say yes. KA has made a lot of good decisions. In my opinion this was not one of them. 

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't want to get into a look back "what if" skirmish here but how many more points do you think the Sabres would have had if Ullmark was our primary goalie? My guess would be 8-10 points. Would the "what if" salary and extra term cost have been worth it? I say yes. KA has made a lot of good decisions. In my opinion this was not one of them. 

I think KA knows it as well. The “extra year” and the “not blocking a prospect” were just spin after Linus bolted. Analytics experts would scoff that he wouldn’t make up 8 points but even 4 at this point puts them solidly in the playoffs with a puncher’s chance.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I fell in love with him when he did one of those embedded deals and went to the Anchor Bar. He pointed to a celebrity pic on the wall and said it was "Old Jack Eichel." And it was. So funny. Would have been the perfect goalie dude for this group IMHO.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I fell in love with him when he did one of those embedded deals and went to the Anchor Bar. He pointed to a celebrity pic on the wall and said it was "Old Jack Eichel." And it was. So funny. Would have been the perfect goalie dude for this group IMHO.

Especially considering all the other pieces that Adams has stockpiled for the future, having the  goaltending solidified for no cost other than his cap hit with no need to get rid of any of those pieces to soidify goaltending, is so frustrating.

That negotiation was far and away Adams biggest blunder to date.

• Agree 2

Kravtsov and Gurianov in consecutive days.

I have heard NHL GMs are increasingly targeting disappointing former high picks in trades over actual picks - partly for better sense of their floor, mostly for a quicker return on investment.

Personally, I’m calling it the Tage effect.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.