Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But most of that has already been used up.  Per Puckpedia they have $8.7mm in cap space after moving Stone to BF-LTIR.

Yes, and it’s such an astronomical number.  Is this 4D chess or insanely bad luck?

They had to use 750k of Stone’s 9.5MM on a backup goalie.  Like another poster said, I can see Patrick Kane going there as a rental. They’ve got to try something. Vegas has zero twenty goal scorers (the Sabres have five!)  

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Yes, and it’s such an astronomical number.  Is this 4D chess or insanely bad luck?

They had to use 750k of Stone’s 9.5MM on a backup goalie.  Like another poster said, I can see Patrick Kane going there as a rental. They’ve got to try something. Vegas has zero twenty goal scorers (the Sabres have five!)  

Wait... no way? Vegas has 0?

Oooo Reaction GIF

Edited by LGR4GM
meme
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It clears Stone's prorated salary, allowing them to bring in new players with commensurate prorated salaries.  The math is the same no matter how it's phrased.  It's easier to just say "over 9M in cap" because then we can look at who they're bringing in, with, e.g., $3.6M and $5M cap hits, and see that it works.

Cute.

What about Trotz?  Or Cooper?  Or any other coach who doesn't have to be obnoxious to succeed?

Fair enough. Tortorella is a bit much, but idk why we can't agree that there are multiple ways to succeed. If he doesn't win in Philly it will be because the team isn't good enough. Not specifically because he is the way he is. Meaning, when he's fired eventually, it won't be a situation where a different, warmer, fuzzier coach comes in and immediately kicks ass with the same group of players.

Tbh, I think he fits the ethos of that city, and what they want out of their hockey team, pretty well. He doesn't take any crap and he doesn't particularly care what you think about it.

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Wait... no way? Vegas has 0?

Eichel and Stone have both missed 13 games and have 17 goals.  Smith hasn't missed any and has 19.  Marchesault and Carrier have both missed 6 games and have 17 and 15 respectively.  Yes, Carrier has 15 goals in 50 games.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Eichel and Stone have both missed 13 games and have 17 goals.  Smith hasn't missed any and has 19.  Marchesault and Carrier have both missed 6 games and have 17 and 15 respectively.  Yes, Carrier has 15 goals in 50 games.

Best ability is availability. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

They aren’t putting Stone on IR to scheme the system.

So, bad luck, not 4D chess

- - -  

I love the connotation of “Vegas needs to try SOMETHING! zero 20 goal scorers! We have 5!!!”

remind me again where Vegas sits in their conference. One can approach this site with the utmost pro Sabres bias and it still makes me chuckle haha. It’s endearing. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Of course they are.  And they should.  The system is exploitable and good teams exploit it.  Cf. Tampa, or even (on a much smaller level) my idea in the Clague thread.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Of course they are.  And they should.  The system is exploitable and good teams exploit it.  Cf. Tampa, or even (on a much smaller level) my idea in the Clague thread.

So you think he’s healthy enough to play 

that they took him out of the lineup last year, to scheme, missed the playoffs, and are setting out with the same game plan again 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Based upon my examination, his medical records, and his family history, yes.

Come on, are you serious?  You don't think teams play around with LTIR?

Are you pulling my leg? 

Stone is good to go, he’d normally be suiting up, but is agreeing to sit out the remaining 25% of the season while the team is fighting for positioning, even though they missed while doing that last year. Stone is just good with *wink wink nudge nudge* “take a seat for now”, just the least interested guy in competitiveness and helping his team 

Edited by Thorny

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So, bad luck, not 4D chess

- - -  

I love the connotation of “Vegas needs to try SOMETHING! zero 20 goal scorers! We have 5!!!”

remind me again where Vegas sits in their conference. One can approach this site with the utmost pro Sabres bias and it still makes me chuckle haha. It’s endearing. 

Wow alright.

The Eastern Conference is a bloodbath. The Knights point total (first in the Western Conference) placed in the East would earn them a wild card. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole

Just now, Thorny said:

Stone is good to go, he’d normally be suiting up, but is agreeing to sit out the remaining 25% of the season while the team is fighting for positioning, even though they missed while doing that last year. Stone is just good with *wink wink nudge nudge* “take a seat for now”, just the least interested guy in competitiveness and helping his team 

No, not what I'm saying.  But there is no salary cap in the playoffs and we've seen teams pull this for three or four successive seasons now.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No, not what I'm saying.  But there is no salary cap in the playoffs and we've seen teams pull this for three or four successive seasons now.

They take advantage of the system because they need to. If Stone was healthy enough to play, he’d play. Im not saying they aren’t taking advantage of the system that allows them to, im saying they aren’t stupid enough to choose willfully putting a player (THEIR BEST PLAYER) on IR who doesn’t need to be over the scenario where he remains in the lineup 

Just now, Thorny said:

My phone doesn’t load the .webp format, sorry, have mentioned this to B. Nill before who posts those constantly. If you act it out in charades I’ll try and guess 

No worries, it just says what I said in my previous post but with those pawn shop dudes offering “the best I can do is a wildcard” for Vegas’s 72 points. 

Interesting move... not like Ottawa needs cap space, or to free up roster spots, or is up against the contract limits.

Moreover, Zaitsev had a 10 team NTC.  Guess Chicago wasn't on the list.

Capfriendly shows 5 D active (including Zaitsev) for the Sens.. are both D on IR could come back and they'd still only be at 21 on the roster.

I've got to be missing something.

22 minutes ago, LTS said:

Interesting move... not like Ottawa needs cap space, or to free up roster spots, or is up against the contract limits.

Moreover, Zaitsev had a 10 team NTC.  Guess Chicago wasn't on the list.

Capfriendly shows 5 D active (including Zaitsev) for the Sens.. are both D on IR could come back and they'd still only be at 21 on the roster.

I've got to be missing something.

Chychrun coming?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.