Plenty of teams need to shed salary before season start

ddaryl

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So lets assume for arguments sake that somebody good shakes loose from a team making a bigger deal and or trying to get to the cap ceiling.  Which player in the Sabres lineup do you want to dump to add that player?

On defense Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson and newly signed Lyubushkin are written in stone.  Are you dumping Bryson or Jokiharju? 

At forward, are you replacing the team's best defensive forward (Asplund) or the most physical forward to accommodate an acquisition? Or do you think one of the rookies needs to be sent down?  Other that these 4 guys I don't think anyone else is vulnerable.  

Lyubushkin or Bryson I'd be good with not playing if an improvement is possible.

Asplund I want to keep around because of his role. He appears to be the BEST on this team at doing what he does.  As far as everyone else, No one is really safe of the young guys if they underperform.  Let them all fight for playing time.  

Of course, ANYONE the Sabres aquire, I wouldn't be interested in much unless they are a long term piece.  I don't want any of the young guys to be held up by a 30+ year old Vet who is marginally better than one of the younger guys.

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m just curious who people want to vote off the island.  I’m also curious which cap casualties would actually upgrade the Sabres?  

But it’s not a “vote someone off the island” occurrence.  If you have an opportunity to improve…. say #2 RW or #2 RD….. and it won’t hamstring the cap, and it makes sense for the next few seasons, and it improves the team overall, you make the move. 

We haven’t smelled playoffs in 11+ seasons and yet we haven’t progressed beyond the “ there is no room on this team for a 50 goal scorer” mentality.

Edited by Weave

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So lets assume for arguments sake that somebody good shakes loose from a team making a bigger deal and or trying to get to the cap ceiling.  Which player in the Sabres lineup do you want to dump to add that player?

On defense Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson and newly signed Lyubushkin are written in stone.  Are you dumping Bryson or Jokiharju? 

At forward, are you replacing the team's best defensive forward (Asplund) or the most physical forward to accommodate an acquisition? Or do you think one of the rookies needs to be sent down?  Other that these 4 guys I don't think anyone else is vulnerable.  

What are you talking about on defense?  Your written in stone names are only 4.  We need 7 or 8 factoring injuries, etc.  If we acquire another D, why do Bryson and Joki have to be dumped?  I prefer not to see Fitz playing a lot of NHL minutes personally.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The day I worry about if my new acquisition will block Bryson or Joker is the day I should stop caring about hockey altogether. I would send JJP down and not think twice if we added a guy. Oh no, JJP starts his NHL career at 21 instead of 20... the horror. Oh no, Bryson has to go to the press box until the first injury occurs... whatever will I do. If there's an opportunity to add someone in the 20-24 year range that improves the team, do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

On defense: Pilut or Fitzgerald gets waived/moved, Bryson becomes the 7th D.

At forward: Bjork gets waived, Hinostroza can be the 13th forward some games, maybe Peterka starts the season in the AHL, wouldn’t be long before someone gets hurt anyway.

I think it’s far from impossible to make space on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The day I worry about if my new acquisition will block Bryson or Joker is the day I should stop caring about hockey altogether. I would send JJP down and not think twice if we added a guy. Oh no, JJP starts his NHL career at 21 instead of 20... the horror. Oh no, Bryson has to go to the press box until the first injury occurs... whatever will I do. If there's an opportunity to add someone in the 20-24 year range that improves the team, do it. 

I don't disagree, but I doubt KA does.  I think in his mind he has committed to Bryson, Jokiharju and JJP this season.  

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

I don’t want Erod either, I don’t think he makes this Sabres team any better. Plus, he would want to be paid according to his one good season.

Not that he's anywhere near the same class, but I think ERod is probably going to end up on a team that loses out on Kadri.

He;s just waiting for that domino to fall.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not that he's anywhere near the same class, but I think ERod is probably going to end up on a team that loses out on Kadri.

Well, considering the team that gets Kadri will likely be trying to shed salary rather than add ...  😉

E-Rod is actually a nice bottom 6 player that can slot higher in a pinch.  Kind of the offensive-ish version of Hecht.  Really curious if somebody will be dumb enough to give him a contract that fully accounts for his Crosby tied production.  Guessing that nobody is and that's why he's still available.  But, if he ends up w/ a ridiculous deal, he'll definitely have been somebody's consolation prize for losing out on Kadri.

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

That could be true. He's probably looking for term/security too and I imagine most teams look at him and think one good year on a Crosby team doesn't warrant term. 

He will likely get lost in the shuffle and have to settle for a lot less. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

So with Florida over the cap, do they have the ability to match an offer if someone goes after Spencer Knight? 

Knight is under contract for one more season so he isn’t eligible to sign an offer sheet, but yes, a team can match an offer sheet on an RFA even if they are over the cap.

11 hours ago, French Collection said:

According to Cap Friendly 9 of 32 teams are over the cap limit. Three more teams are within range without a full lineup.

Of those 9 teams, as things stand today, only Edmonton and Florida look like they will have to move someone out.  Unless they get bargain deals on Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, the Oilers can't sign both and would need to move out one or maybe Warren Foegele.  The Panthers likely need to move out Hornqvist.   Of course, if any make further trades or take a run at Kadri that would change things.  

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Knight is under contract for one more season so he isn’t eligible to sign an offer sheet, but yes, a team can match an offer sheet on an RFA even if they are over the cap.

Ahhh.  I thought he was this year.  I doubt he’d want to leave Florida anyways. 

Just now, Mr. Allen said:

Ahhh.  I thought he was this year.  I doubt he’d want to leave Florida anyways. 

I doubt it too, Florida seems like a really good spot for him.  Great team in front of him, great goalie to learn from for a couple more years and take pressure off him.  In 2-3 years, when Florida feels that Knight is definitely ready to carry a starters load, they are going to need to move on from Bob.  That’s going to be expensive for them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.