Rd 2, Pick #41: Topias Leinonen (G)

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Why would any 18 year old sign with the team that drafts them if they can just go to college for 2 years and then sign with whomever they want? The structure of these contracts is weird. 

That's not how it works.

Edited by LGR4GM

45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

100% agree. they could have taken him in the 3rd, this is a reach. I very reachy reach. They might have got him in round 4 to be honest.

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't like it at all honestly. This was a major reach, dude should have gone 70 something. Well don't have to think about him again until 2027.

Don't care.  They have exactly 1 possible future NHL goalie in the system right now.  Any other use of the pick is only a 25% shot anyway.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's not how it works.

https://hockeyanswered.com/how-the-nhl-entry-draft-works-a-complete-guide/

This is where I got my limited info from. Don't they have 2 years to sign a pro contract or they go back into the draft if they are under 20 or become UFAs if they are over? I'm not pretending to be informed. I'm just confused by the NHL draft system, which I just started trying to understand.

Edited by ndirish1978

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Goalies take forever to develop and usually are nhl ready around age 24 or so. 6-7 years this kid is gonna bounce around 

He'll take time to develop.  He may or may not bounce around.  He probably won't.  Goalies do take time to develop, which is why it's criminal that the Sabres have only one prospect under contract, and he's as NHL-ready as he's going to be, so that means he's not really a prospect anymore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.