Rd 2, Pick #41: Topias Leinonen (G)

LGR4GM

I got no problem with the Sabres taking the #1 goalie in this draft.  Good grief they have 11 picks this year and extra picks again next year.

Goalies take a long time to develop so pick up some of the best while you have the picks.  I wouldn't mind next years "best" too.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

Keep taking goalies in the second round forever, as far as I'm concerned.  Can't have too many, because if there are too many, they fetch first-round picks in return.

I was just going to post something like that.  Good prospects are good prospects and can always be used for trades.

I don't want to see the Sabres goalie pipeline empty again.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The hit rate on 2nd round picks is pretty low.  The Sabres have lots of picks.  They Sabres need young goalies in the pipeline.  This guy was rated one of the top goalies in the draft (albeit a weak draft for goalies).  Given the amount of time goalies take to develop, it is likely several years before this guy is competing for a job in Buffalo.  His selection shouldn't have a whole lot of bearing on Portillo or Levi, who will likely be ready to play in the AHL next season and compete for a backup spot in Buffalo.  I have no issue with the pick.

That said, the Sabres still need to acquire a veteran #1 goalie for this season.  This draft pick has no bearing on that need.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's kind of scary

How?  Maybe the Sabres scouts have something that the others don't.  Maybe the others know something that the Sabres scouts don't.  It's a SECOND round pick.  How scary could it be?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

That would be great.  I hope he becomes a star.  

So do I...but a goalie pick after Round 1 isn't a waste of a pick, ever.  Especially with this team that has no prospects in net.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So do I...but a goalie pick after Round 1 isn't a waste of a pick, ever.  Especially with this team that has no prospects in net.

My biggest gripe isn't with the player, but the feeling that there was better value at 41 with an RHD which we lack in the system.  The Sabres  haven't invested a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a RHD since Risto in 2013.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My biggest gripe isn't with the player, but the feeling that there was better value at 41 with an RHD which we lack in the system.  The Sabres  haven't invested a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a RHD since Risto in 2013.

Again.  The youngest goalie prospect in the system is 23--if you even consider him to be a prospect.  I don't, for reasons explained elsewhere.  (Summary:  UPL is either NHL-ready or not at this point.)

They can trade for RHD prospects.

Edited by Eleven

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's ironic that you have an issue with this pick. If we failed to get him or Brennan this draft you'd be losing your mind.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's ironic that you're have an issue with this pick. If we failed to get him or Brennan this draft you'd be losing your mind.

Not at all.  Tobias was the top goalie (and only goalie) on my draft board.  I had him at 81. (My consensus board had him at 86)   Like I said, I don't have a problem with the player, just where he was taken.  Brennan, who many thought was the best goalie, went in the 4th round to NJ at pick 102.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not at all.  Tobias was the top goalie (and only goalie) on my draft board.  I had him at 86.  Like I said, I don't have a problem with the player, just where he was taken.  Brennan, who many thought was the best goalie, went in the 4th round to NJ at pick 102.   

The Kraken were taking a goalie in round 2 and they (the Sabres staff) no doubt wanted the pick of the liter.  I can understand that.

Potillo and Levi are nothing to the Sabres until they sign ELCs.

• Agree 2

I hate this pick. I'm not against drafting a goalie. Matter of fact I'm all for a goalie every year, but Kokko would have been fine or even gambling on a guy like Dyck in a later round but this just tells me the plan is slow and long and we didn't try for a goalie now. Any of those goalie deals would have been okay imo, Yzerman knocked it out of the park on Husso, why didn't we do that???

The thing that really annoys me is Warren was right there for the taking and we passed. We will regret this big time unless this goalie is spectacular. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

100% agree. they could have taken him in the 3rd, this is a reach. I very reachy reach. They might have got him in round 4 to be honest.

Seeing as the second goalie went a few picks later???

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.