Rd 1, Pick 9: Matthew Savoie (C)

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Most important thing for Savoie will be to grow back that mustache.  It would be a true crime to deprive the world of something so beautiful.

Agreed. It’s a stunning thing to behold. I also feel if he also grew a mullet, he could fill the void Eakin is going to leave on the roster. 

Edited by kas23

12 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

So Savoie is Briere 

Cozens is Drury

Just get those contracts locked up before UFA hits😛

Thank God Cozens is infinitely more likable than Drury. 

and BTW (everyone not you), it’s pronounced Druh-ree. Not ***** Dreeeewwry that everyone says now because of RJs goal calls.  

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Jack eichel? myers? ..

Can't tell me with a straight face you didn't get goosebumps with these two.

I liked Myers (and in fact own his jersey), but he was nowhere near Mad Max on the electricity voltage meter.

As for Jack -- yes, there were a number of thrilling moments, but other than a few brief sections of a few seasons, the Sabres' overwhelming suckitude made it hard for me to get really excited.  How awesome can a nice goal really be when you're 30 points out of the playoffs again?

Max, OTOH, was a threat to do something wild anytime he got the puck, and the team was worth watching for most of his tenure.  I'm kinda optimistic that the same will be true of Savoie.

YMMV, of course.

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think this guy is going to be more fun to watch than any Sabre since Afinogenov.

After reading through some of his older stuff, he was labelled as a pretty special player all the way back to when he was 13.  

He put up 71 points in 31 games as a 14 year old against kids older than him at a prep league school.

He then applies for exceptional status to join the WHL at the age of 15 and is denied by Hockey Canada because they feel he’s too small and don’t want to risk his health. 

He still cuts a deal with Winnipeg (who drafted him first overall in WHL entry draft) and the WHL basically supersede Hockey Canada decision and they allow him to play 22 games.  He puts up 7 assists as a 15 year old against many guys 19 in whl.  He splits time with the same prep school and puts up 52 points in 22 games. 

His age 16 year is messed up by covid.  WHL season canceled. He ends up scoring 38 points in 34 games playing for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of ushl.

His age 17/18 season is last year and the WHL returns from covid.  He plays for Winnipeg putting up 35 goals and 55 assists for 95 points in 65 games.  That’s good for 7th in the league.  Only next years draft phenom Connor Bedard put up more points at a younger age.  Everyone else in the top 12 is 1-3 years older than him. 

If you are someone who thinks you need big guys come playoff time then I can see your hesitation.  But if you don’t think size is a huge factor then boy there is a lot to be excited about here. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I liked Myers (and in fact own his jersey), but he was nowhere near Mad Max on the electricity voltage meter.

As for Jack -- yes, there were a number of thrilling moments, but other than a few brief sections of a few seasons, the Sabres' overwhelming suckitude made it hard for me to get really excited.  How awesome can a nice goal really be when you're 30 points out of the playoffs again?

Max, OTOH, was a threat to do something wild anytime he got the puck, and the team was worth watching for most of his tenure.  I'm kinda optimistic that the same will be true of Savoie.

YMMV, of course.

Yeah I came off as a jackass  Maybe I should've just said I don't like the guy lol

Sorry 

On 7/8/2022 at 8:23 AM, Eleven said:

Ever notice that they never compare a draftee to just an average NHLer, yet for most of them, that's their ceiling?

Wait, the draft doesn’t average 3 Nik Lidstroms and 4 Patrice Bergerons per year? 

23 hours ago, Curt said:

Most important thing for Savoie will be to grow back that mustache.  It would be a true crime to deprive the world of something so beautiful.

Kinda looks like The Batman without it, though 

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think this guy is going to be more fun to watch than any Sabre since Afinogenov.

I liked Max a lot but there was another guy here since who stood out a lot more, at a lot higher of a level, when he was on his game.

But that’s old news now. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I liked Max a lot but there was another guy here since who stood out a lot more, at a lot higher of a level, when he was on his game.

But that’s old news now. 

Was he fun though?  Do you remember any fun?

Savoie is going to deliver the joie with savoire faire!  Mais oui!

(Most of the joie will be because the Sabres will be a good team loaded with scoring, but still.  I think this kid will be much more likeable than Eichel was.)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Was he fun though?  Do you remember any fun?

Savoie is going to deliver the joie with savoire faire!  Mais oui!

(Most of the joie will be because the Sabres will be a good team loaded with scoring, but still.  I think this kid will be much more likeable than Eichel was.)

I mean, ya. Most people felt that way too once upon a time, before the end and the period leading up to it. He was easily the most rawly talented player besides Hasek I ever witnessed in a Sabres uniform, personally. The plays he would pull off, yes, I had fun. 

As far as “likeable” goes, don’t even need to go there tbh 

We’ll certainly all have MORE fun with a winning roster than anything. The last true consistently fun stretch was probably what, the run to end ‘11? That’s 11 years ago 😂

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/7/2022 at 7:40 PM, Derrico said:

Interesting Geekie interviewed and he goes one pick later

I'm so unimpressed by Geekie in almost every sense, and then I listened to his draft interview, and I just smiled and thanked the hockey god's that he was off the board at 11.