Sabres Re-Sign Sean Malone 1 year 750k

Brawndo

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

KAs favorite number.

Just kidding.  This is a good guy to keep around.  I’m curious what his AHL salary is on the contract but it looks like details aren’t out yet.

I think it's a one-way deal.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Why would Malone be the 4C as Yerdon suggests? Isn't Girgensons more likely to centre that line?

Not sure Girgs would be better at center than Malone.

Malone earned a call up last year, but got hurt (again).  He is a smart Nichols kid 😎.  I can easily seeing him earn a shot at the 4th line center gig in camp.  

Maybe he can pull a Derek Grant who became a full time NHLer 27 and has had 3 12+ goal season and last season with Anaheim at 31 put up career highs with 15g and 29pts.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

52 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Isn't Malone one of those AHL vet types who earns the same in the A as he would in the NHL?

It’s possible that the AHL salary is the same as the NHL.  Some proven AHL veterans get that, but it’s not universal.  It could be anything really.

For example, a good AHL player might get a deal with an NHL salary of $750k and an AHL salary of $350k.

I like Sean Malone.  He’s a great Amerk and good glue guy.  He’s really more of a offense first kinda player.  He’s was average to below average in his own zone. I think because he’s not real flashy, people tend to think he’s a two way forward or defensive player.  He’s not. 

• Like (+1) 2

Looks like a solid signing for a local kid who is a good AHL player and a fringe NHL bottom 6 player.  Every organization needs guys like this, so he's a good fit for the Sabres in this role.

If the information above is accurate, it's a 2-way deal with a $200,000 AHL salary.  Making $200K at age 27 is a pretty good gig if you can get it, particularly where the job gives you time during your workday to work out and stay in great physical shape, and you get to play a sport that (presuambly) you love to play.  There are other "fringe benefits" to being a member of a local college or pro sports team....And, if things really work out in your favor, you could make up to $750K.  Not bad.

• Like (+1) 1

Good signing. Good player. He could be brought up with his Amerks wingers en masse (Quinn and JJP) and take Eakin's place to start the season. He could also pass through waivers and still be a stud Amerk.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think it's a one-way deal.

Not sure Girgs would be better at center than Malone.

Girgs has always seemingly been more effective when on the wing, be it with Eichel, Angry Larry, or Eakin. (Except maybe with Moulson/Stewart and Ennis for a bit way back when.)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.