Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

You don’t really know they benefited. You just assume they did. Players get better as their minds and bodies mature. 

I’m mostly with you on the AHL issue, but I feel you’re missing a crucial element here: the AHL isn’t crucial to development, but reps are beneficial to growth, particularly game reps.

Players minds and bodies mature when they are tested through competition far more than just through time.

Playing first line minutes against the highest level of competition they’ve ever faced in games that matter is more beneficial than working out in the gym or watching from the stands.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m mostly with you on the AHL issue, but I feel you’re missing a crucial element here: the AHL isn’t crucial to development, but reps are beneficial to growth, particularly game reps.

Players minds and bodies mature when they are tested through competition far more than just through time.

Playing first line minutes against the highest level of competition they’ve ever faced in games that matter is more beneficial than working out in the gym or watching from the stands.

Even Quinn gained further development as the result of last season's playoff run. He'd probably be the first to tell you it gave him motivation for this season and learning further what adjustments his game needed when he was the main focus of the opposition's attention shift-in and -out.

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Peterka was great in the playoffs last year.  Quinn was spent by the time they rolled around.  If the playoffs truly carried over then shouldn't they have had more comparable seasons or even have had Peterka with the better season?  

And in the 2 game look sees the 2 got last year, Peterka looked better than Quinn also IMHO.

They both developed last year and both were ready for the NHL this year.  And both will be better next year for having had this season.  Am not disparaging either.  But, don't believe the AHL playoffs were what made or broke this season's play for either.   Unless you want to argue that without the playoff run Peterka wouldn't have started in Buffalo this year.  Doubt that's the case.

It's cool they got to play in the playoffs, but it didn't make or break their seasons last year.  UPL breaking right before the playoffs last year didn't torpedo his year this year nor would having been in them altered his track this year either IMHO.

If only people learn and progress at a predictable and linear rate.  They don't, there are always ups and downs, and starts and stops - and for athletes there are injuries and fatigue to manage on top of the learning.  

I am not so concerned about how they did in the AHL regular season versus the playoffs.  I am just advocating for the time in the AHL.  Adams knew from the start that neither were ready so they both played key roles in Rochester.  Adams brought in JAGs, not veteran "blockers", to hold down the fort until they were ready.  

Quinn started slower than JJP this season, but he quickly caught up and passed him (IMO) as the season went on.   As we saw yesterday, against a top team filled with veterans, and in a playoff type of game, they both were stapled to the bench in the 3rd period.  Both finished -2 and both played about 10 minutes total.   Next year that probably wont happen.   

None of the die hard fans here are calling them busts.  Can the same be said for Mitts who was thrust into a 2C role after the ROR trade when he was not even close to being ready?   Between rushing Mitts, and his obvious lack of physical strength at the time, many here called him a bust and called for him being traded right up until these last few months.  

My point is that the AHL season for Quinn and Peterka was important and beneficial.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If only people learn and progress at a predictable and linear rate.  They don't, there are always ups and downs, and starts and stops - and for athletes there are injuries and fatigue to manage on top of the learning.  

I am not so concerned about how they did in the AHL regular season versus the playoffs.  I am just advocating for the time in the AHL.  Adams knew from the start that neither were ready so they both played key roles in Rochester.  Adams brought in JAGs, not veteran "blockers", to hold down the fort until they were ready.  

Quinn started slower than JJP this season, but he quickly caught up and passed him (IMO) as the season went on.   As we saw yesterday, against a top team filled with veterans, and in a playoff type of game, they both were stapled to the bench in the 3rd period.  Both finished -2 and both played about 10 minutes total.   Next year that probably wont happen.   

None of the die hard fans here are calling them busts.  Can the same be said for Mitts who was thrust into a 2C role after the ROR trade when he was not even close to being ready?   Between rushing Mitts, and his obvious lack of physical strength at the time, many here called him a bust and called for him being traded right up until these last few months.  

My point is that the AHL season for Quinn and Peterka was important and beneficial.   

2 things.  

1 - didn't say the AHL wasn't beneficial for Frick and Frack.  Said that the AHL playoffs were inconsequential and that the play in them didn't carry over to this season.

2 - you are talking to one of the very few that never called Mittelstadt a bust nor ever gave up on him.

And, suppose a 3rd thing.  You seem to be confusing my position with that of TW's.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

2 things.  

1 - didn't say the AHL wasn't beneficial for Frick and Frack.  Said that the AHL playoffs were inconsequential and that the play in them didn't carry over to this season.

2 - you are talking to one of the very few that never called Mittelstadt a bust nor ever gave up on him.

And, suppose a 3rd thing.  You seem to be confusing my position with that of TW's.

Yes.   Your are correct.   I am basing a lot of this on the @tom webstercomments in this response to you.  I could care less about the AHL playoff thing as well.   My point is most prospects need the AHL. 

And you have been one of the most fair and patient with Mitts.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

Sabres Prospects season ending rankings.  Bloom and Portillo traded.  Power, JJP, UPL and Quinn have graduated.  Biro, Murray, Weissbach have aged out.

1. Devon Levi - After seeing him in the NHL, the kid is the real deal.  Back to back Ritcher Awards is a major accomplishment.  I'd say that puts him on a level with Miller, Hellebuyck and Oettinger as top college goalie prospects and see how well they turned out.

2. Savoie - 9 pts in 4 playoffs games so far.  95 pts in 62 games.  Dominate 2nd half of the season. Will almost certainly be in Buffalo next fall

3. Kulich - 45 pts in 60 AHL games at 18.  Likely back in Rochester next season, but should be top call up next year. 

4. Östlund -  26 pts in 37 games. Very solid for a 19 year old.  Out-performed Ohgren and Lekkerimaki.  4 pts in 4 playoffs games so far.  Likely back in Sweden next year if team is promoted back to the SHL.

5. Rosen - Solid first NA season with 35 pts in 63 AHL games.  Back to the A to get stronger next year

6. Johnson - Minn lost in Frozen Four.  Will our top D prospect finally sign? AHL/NHL next season

7. Rousek - 2 pts in one and only NHL game.  55 pts in 68 AHL games.  Can see him fighting for a slot in the bottom six next year.

There is a gap here for guys that need more development time.

8. Neuchev - 12 pts in 57 games in the KHL.  Solid production at 19. Hopefully he joins the Amerks in the fall.

9. Nadeau - 46 pts in 34 games in the Q.  8 pts in 5 playoff games.  20 year old in the A next year.

10. Novikov - Stay at home D has played 94 games for the KHL's Dynamo at 18 & 19 over the last 2 seasons. Hopefully in the A next year

11. Poltapov - 10 pts in 56 KHL games.

12. Kisakov - 8 pts in 46 AHL games.  Needs to step it up next season.

13. Lindgren - 34 pts in 63 WHL.  Better 2nd half and 8 pts in 5 playoff games.  Sadly, back to the WHL next season.

14. Komarov - Big D added O to his game this year with 39 pts in 62 Q games. Russian maybe eligible for the A next year.

15. Marjala - 51 pts in 32 U20 games and 9 pts in 15 SM-Liiga games in Finland.  Could be a prospect on the rise

16. Kozak - 10 pts in 55 AHL games.  Needs to provide more O to make the next level, but toughness not a issue.

17. Leinonen - Top goalie prospect for now.  .860 Save% in 2 Finnish leagues is not exactly impressive.

18. Cedarqvist - 16 pts in 52 A games.  Solid first NA season.  Already 22.

19. Jandric - 24 year old offensive D, put up 33 pts in 39 games for UND.  We'll have to see how he does in the A next season.

20. Richard - Solid season in the USHL.  Now off to college

Others: Huglen, Sardarian, Costantini, Karlsson, Berndtsson, Sjodin, Barnekow, Lyckasen, Konecny.  I doubt anyone on this list gets a contract, except maybe Huglen and Sardarian.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sabres Prospects season ending rankings.  Bloom and Portillo traded.  Power, JJP, UPL and Quinn have graduated.  Biro, Murray, Weissbach have aged out.

1. Devon Levi - Seeing him in the NHL.  The kid is the real deal.  Back to back Ritcher Awards is a major accomplishment.  I'd say that puts him on a level with Miller, Hellebuyck and Oettinger as top college goalie prospects and see how well they turned out.

2. Savoie - 9 pts in 4 playoffs games so far.  95 pts in 62 games.  Dominate 2nd half of the season. Will almost certainly be in Buffalo next fall

3. Kulich - 45 pts in 60 AHL games at 18.  Likely back in Rochester next season, but should be top call up next year. 

4. Östlund -  26 pts in 37 games. Very solid for a 19 year old.  Out-performed Ohgren and Lekkerimaki.  4 pts in 4 playoffs games so far.  Likely back in Sweden next year if team is promoted back to the SHL.

5. Rosen - Solid first NA season with 35 pts in 63 AHL games.  Back to the A to get stronger next year

6. Johnson - Minn lost in Frozen Four.  Will our top D prospect finally sign? AHL/NHL next season

7. Rousek - 2 pts in one and only NHL game.  55 pts in 68 AHL games.  Can see him fighting for a slot in the bottom six next year.

8. Neuchev - 12 pts in 57 games in the KHL.  Solid production at 19. Hopefully he joins the Amerks in the fall.

9. Nadeau - 46 pts in 34 games in the Q.  8 pts in 5 playoff games.  20 year old in the A next year.

10. Novikov - Stay at home D has played 94 games for the KHL's Dynamo at 18 & 19 over the last 2 seasons. Hopefully in the A next year

13. Lindgren - 34 pts in 63 WHL.  Better 2nd half and 8 pts in 5 playoff games.  Sadly, back to the WHL next season.

14. Komarov - Big D added O to his game this year with 39 pts in 62 Q games. Russian maybe eligible for the A next year.

15. Marjala - 51 pts in 32 U20 games and 9 pts in 15 SM-Liiga games in Finland.  Could be a prospect on the rise

16. Kozak - 10 pts in 55 AHL games.  Needs to provide more O to make the next level, but toughness not a issue.

17. Leinonen - Top goalie prospect for now.  .860 Save% in 2 Finnish leagues is not exactly impressive.

19. Jandric - 24 year old offensive D, put up 33 pts in 39 games for UND.  We'll have to see how he does in the A next season.

Others: Huglen, Sardarian, Costantini, Karlsson, Berndtsson, Sjodin, Barnekow, Lyckasen, Konecny.  I doubt anyone on this list gets a contract, except maybe Huglen and Sardarian.  

Good work. I predict Richard makes a big jump next year. Kid has natural ability and size.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1. Devon Levi - Seeing him in the NHL.  The kid is the real deal.  Back to back Ritcher Awards is a major accomplishment.  I'd say that puts him on a level with Miller, Hellebuyck and Oettinger as top college goalie prospects and see how well they turned out.

Sardarian has nice hands freshman... but skinny could use 40 lbs... decent speed will see

On 4/8/2023 at 12:00 PM, tom webster said:

Because I don’t believe there is any benefit to playing in the AHL and teams are starting to realize the same thing for their elite talent. I’ve been pretty consistent in that regard just like I think playing in the AHL playoffs has little to no value for most prospects.

This is funny because it’s the exact opposite approach of the Sabres. They get their elite prospects in the AHL as soon as possible, and overcook them, if anything. 

Edited by Amerks8796

12 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

This is funny because it’s the exact opposite approach of the Sabres. They get their elite prospects in the AHL as soon as possible, and overcook them, if anything. 

I disagree, they could have left Quinn and JJP in the AHL another year, or could have sent them down when they were struggling. Instead, they went on record as saying they were better off up with the Sabres, even if they had to sit out some games.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I disagree, they could have left Quinn and JJP in the AHL another year, or could have sent them down when they were struggling. Instead, they went on record as saying they were better off up with the Sabres, even if they had to sit out some games.

Quinn and Peterka were some of the most dominant players of their age group in the AHL in a long time. There was no reason to keep them in Rochester. They both could’ve gone up sooner last season. 

They brought Kisakov, Rosen and Kulich into the AHL sooner than teams have typically have done. They could have easily had Kozak go back to the WHL. And it sounds like they want Novikov, Östlund, and Neuchev in Rochester next year. And you can be sure, if he was eligible, Savoie would’ve been there this year. 

It’s very obvious they value the AHL as the best place to put their prospects. And why not? It’s the best, and closet in style league to the NHL in the world. They have a hand picked coaching staff. It’s right down the road. There’s no better place for their prospects unless rules or contracts prevent it. 

Edited by Amerks8796

1 minute ago, Amerks8796 said:

Quinn and Peterka were some of the most dominant players of their age group in the AHL in a long time. There was no reason to keep them in Rochester. They both could’ve gone up sooner last season. 

They brought Kisakov, Rosen and Kulich into the AHL sooner than teams have typically have done. And it sounds like they want Novikov, Östlund, and Neuchev in Rochester next year. And you can be sure, if he was eligible, Savoie would’ve been there this year. 

It’s very obvious they value the AHL as the best place to put their prospects. And why not? It’s the best, and closet in style league to the NHL in the world. They have a hand picked coaching staff. It’s right down the road. There’s no better place for their prospects unless rules or contracts prevent it. 

I understand the argument but believe it’s just a function of the current system. Until someone discovers a parallel universe there really is no way of knowing if development is a function of playing in the AHL or just growing up.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I understand the argument but believe it’s just a function of the current system. Until someone discovers a parallel universe there really is no way of knowing if development is a function of playing in the AHL or just growing up.

You can argue that, but I think it is easier for Sabres to evaluate a players strength and weaknesses and help correct or improve them faster with their team of coaches to get them to play the way they want them to... will see if it works but I get the mind set

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

You can argue that, but I think it is easier for Sabres to evaluate a players strength and weaknesses and help correct or improve them faster with their team of coaches to get them to play the way they want them to... will see if it works but I get the mind set

I agree with all of that but for an elite prospect, wouldn’t all that be just as likely with an expanded roster where the bottom twelve practiced at home with all the same resources and played an NHL game once a week. Teams have more data available to them than ever before. The smart teams evolve ahead of the curve.

On 4/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, tom webster said:

I agree with all of that but for an elite prospect, wouldn’t all that be just as likely with an expanded roster where the bottom twelve practiced at home with all the same resources and played an NHL game once a week. Teams have more data available to them than ever before. The smart teams evolve ahead of the curve.

If only there were a way that these young players could all practice together and get really meaningful minutes in a bunch of games that wouldn't cost the Sabres points in standings for playing kids before they are actually ready. Oh wait...

WHL 2nd round starts Friday. Savoie and the ICE vs. Moose Jaw. Lindgren and Red Deer vs. Saskatoon (the slayers of Bedard). Bedard finishes the playoffs as the points leader with 20 in 7 games. The next closest scorers on non-Bedard-lines have 10 points. I am hopeful for a Savoie v. Seattle showdown in the final so I can see the kid vs. another elite WHL squad.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, tom webster said:

In addition to mental and physical maturity, I do believe that many players also continue to develop their hockey skills in the A and in the NHL.  How else do you explain guys like Brandon Hagel?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

ICE beat Moose Jaw 5-3 in game one of second round.

Savoie with 1g, 2a

Now has 12 points in 5 playoff games.

Benson is back but playing in a different line.

1st star of the game.

Nadeau gets 1G in a win.

Komarov +2 in a win.

Lindgren +1 in a win.

These are all wins in game 1 of the second round.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.