Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

On 2/18/2023 at 1:44 PM, dudacek said:

17. Nikita V. Novikov (Buffalo) 59 2/2/4 -1

In Novikov's defense (heh), he's a stay-at-home D-man who uses his stick and massive frame to break up plays. The fact he's played more games this year in the KHL than anyone on that list and is pushing 11 minutes TOI (vs 7 minutes last season) per game and is getting "real" PK time (he has played a few PP shifts too but not 'meaningful') means his real value is higher than people realize. Also, just a reminder, the KHL carries 8 dressed D-men a night, so 11 minutes TOI is 3rd pair. He's been bumped up to the second pair recently too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Love to see them sign Johnson as there really are no meaningful D prospects even close to ready and the cupboard is relatively bare. Hopefully, KA takes a good hard look at the graduating NCAA crew and targets so Dmen and Fs with size. Too many smallish and similar style Fs in the funnel for my liking. We need to diversify and grab some size and toughness as it doesn't exist. No disrespect to the Euros but need to also fill the funnel with some of these US based college kids

5 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

Love to see them sign Johnson as there really are no meaningful D prospects even close to ready and the cupboard is relatively bare. Hopefully, KA takes a good hard look at the graduating NCAA crew and targets some Dmen and Fs with size. 

He might get 1 NCAA guy if he goes after them. 

Just so we’re clear, this isn’t Johnson “news” any more than Lance’s Tweet about him was last week. It will be news when he announces he’s signed, or that he won’t be signing.

(And for the record, my position - for years - has been “he’s given us no reason to believe yet that he isn’t going to sign.”)

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

In Novikov's defense (heh), he's a stay-at-home D-man who uses his stick and massive frame to break up plays. The fact he's played more games this year in the KHL than anyone on that list and is pushing 11 minutes TOI (vs 7 minutes last season) per game and is getting "real" PK time (he has played a few PP shifts too but not 'meaningful') means his real value is higher than people realize. Also, just a reminder, the KHL carries 8 dressed D-men a night, so 11 minutes TOI is 3rd pair. He's been bumped up to the second pair recently too.

Agree completely. The numbers don’t look impressive in and of themselves, but in context you have to be very happy with where he is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

That was a great read on Savoie.

His coach basically said he is the best player on the best team in the league and is contributing in every area of the game. Loved his comments about Hockey Canada.

And Savoie sounds like another guy who is happy to be here.

Pumped about his chances. Big fan of Östlund and Kulich, but Savoie is still my #2 prospect after Levi.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

His coach basically said he is the best player on the best team in the league and is contributing in every area of the game. Love comments about Hockey Canada.

Pumped about his chances. Big fan of Östlund and Kulich, but Savoie is still my #2 prospect after Levi.

I love the part about Patrick using him to take away the other team’s best player. Between that and the PK usage sounds like he is rounding out his game. He is strong at the faceoff dot as well. He will always be an explosive offensive talent. Rounding out the rest of his game will make him even more valuable.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

His coach basically said he is the best player on the best team in the league and is contributing in every area of the game. Love comments about Hockey Canada.

Such a strange feeling to actually have an NHL quality organization to root for.  They have more than 12 NHL quality forwards and even at this time 2 prospects that could / might also be NHL ready.

They have 5 legit NHLers and 2-3 more 7-8 D with some more prospects not in the AHL.

They have a few NHL goalies, though very possibly no true #1 but also have one fo the 5 best prospects not in the NHL.

And then they have several high ceiling prospects that are 2-3 years down the road.  Not likely they all hit, but even getting say 3 of them to hit and the holes that develop on this team can be filled.

It actually doesn't suck to be a Sabres fan at this moment.  What a nice breath of fresh air.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Such a strange feeling to actually have an NHL quality organization to root for.  They have more than 12 NHL quality forwards and even at this time 2 prospects that could / might also be NHL ready.

They have 5 legit NHLers and 2-3 more 7-8 D with some more prospects not in the AHL.

They have a few NHL goalies, though very possibly no true #1 but also have one fo the 5 best prospects not in the NHL.

And then they have several high ceiling prospects that are 2-3 years down the road.  Not likely they all hit, but even getting say 3 of them to hit and the holes that develop on this team can be filled.

It actually doesn't suck to be a Sabres fan at this moment.  What a nice breath of fresh air.

If some of these guys pan out the Sabres could literally roll out 4 lines with scoring ability. If guys like Cozens, Krebs, Kulich, Östlund and Savoie play a 200’ game and have scoring instincts that could be scary.

They won’t be able to keep them all but there seems to be some keepers for sure.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

We also have 4 picks slated for the first two rounds in this draft (one first, three second rounders) which will add to the above.

One of Adams biggest challenges in the upcoming future will be identifying prospects who he doesn't think with cut it and use them as trade material before other teams catch on. There's no way everyone pans out, but there's also not enough space for even a portion of them, so decisions will have to be made.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Novikov was drafted in 2021, so he's finishing his 2nd season post-draft -- so does that make him AHL-eligible next year?  Is he under a KHL contract?

He's 6'3", 207 lbs and turns 20 in July.  That sounds like a defenseman I'd like to see in Rochester next season.

His KHL contract runs through 24-25 as it was renewed last season; however, the NHL also said all working agreements with the KHL were officially cancelled/void at some point in early March of last year following the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. Theoretically, this means he is free to come over whenever. Conversely, it also means AHL players under contract are free to fly home and take KHL contracts (theoretically). That being said, not a single NHL team has attempted to test the waters by bringing over a player under KHL team control and no NA player has fled for Russia while under contract.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

We also have 4 picks slated for the first two rounds in this draft (one first, three second rounders) which will add to the above.

One of Adams biggest challenges in the upcoming future will be identifying prospects who he doesn't think with cut it and use them as trade material before other teams catch on. There's no way everyone pans out, but there's also not enough space for even a portion of them, so decisions will have to be made.

The flip side of that is he needs to decide which of current roster can be moved for greater value and opening up spaces for some of this developing talent and keeping under the salary cap.

Not a big issue yet, but will be one by next off-season and possibly at that next trade deadline before it.

5 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

His KHL contract runs through 24-25 as it was renewed last season; however, the NHL also said all working agreements with the KHL were officially cancelled/void at some point in early March of last year following the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. Theoretically, this means he is free to come over whenever. Conversely, it also means AHL players under contract are free to fly home and take KHL contracts (theoretically). That being said, not a single NHL team has attempted to test the waters by bringing over a player under KHL team control and no NA player has fled for Russia while under contract.

Probably a wise policy as when those agreements get reinstated, the original contracts will likely go back to being enforcable.

Can't see Adams getting the ST benefit at the risk of losing a player when he's more into his prime.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I love the part about Patrick using him to take away the other team’s best player. Between that and the PK usage sounds like he is rounding out his game. He is strong at the faceoff dot as well. He will always be an explosive offensive talent. Rounding out the rest of his game will make him even more valuable.

I won’t be surprised to learn that KA and Co. instructed Jeep to do just that; focus on and help Savoie develop those other aspects of his game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Drafting them or trying to sign NCAA UFAs? 

I don't think it impacts the draft much at all and NCAA UFA's are always hard to recruit and most are mediocre. 

Signing. 

And agree that  NCAA UFAs don't pan out beyond bottom of roster gus very often.  There's usually a reason they made it to UFA status and it isn't typically because they are trying to get a business starte while playing hockey and going to school.

And not meaning to have put you on the spot.  Wanted to understand your original comment better.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Great question.  I look at how the forward group is constructed and I see a greater need for Kulich’s skill set vs Savoie.  I view Kulich as a Jack of All Trades who can fill any role the Sabres need played.  Savoie may have more upside offensively, but I really view him as Skinner 2.0. I also believe that Kulich is the closest to NHL ready of the 3 1sts from last year.  Depending on what happens in Europe, both Savoie and Östlund may not be eligible for even AHL duty next season.  I expect Kulich to push for an NHL job as early as next season

I could not agree more. Granted, I've been pretty high up on Kulich for a while now. What is most remarkable to me is he's still going to be 18 when the regular season ends. His birthday isn't until April. Even though he was only two draft years later, he's closer to three years younger than Quinn and not two.

Relevant post from September where I was saying I fully expected him in the AHL when people were suggesting he belongs in Europe or the Q. 

And then me saying the same thing you said above just 3 weeks ago.

On 1/30/2023 at 1:29 PM, RochesterExpat said:

Kulich plays like a talented third liner and I see a door open for him to take a role there in Buffalo next season. Obviously if you can trade him for an upgrade, I'd be listening, but I think he's the one Buffalo should be protecting the most because of how we are organizationally built as of right now heading into next season.

Under the currently constructed roster, I can see where he would slot in eventually as an upgrade because he's a complete player. Taking the classic VO-is-a-one-dimensional-player stereotype for comparison:

This is VO in a different sweater:

Except, unlike VO, he's better at reading plays while cycling and positioning himself to support the forecheck. Obviously this got a goal which is why we have the clip, but you see him clearly making the best available move up the boards at the start and then moving himself to center. The point man then dumps the puck toward the net to Murray who is now low in man-coverage while the Sens have three high. Kulich then cycles through the open seam to support as he realizes the defense is collapsing on the puck. He manages to find a little bit of space and it happens to be perfectly where the puck lands. Regardless, you see him driving to the net and not just hanging in the perimeter waiting for something happen--the VO specialty.

Do I think he would outscore VO's current 35 goal/49 point pace in his first season? No. Not at all. That's crazy. But I don't see him being at VO's 5x5 on-ice goal % of 41.9 either. He's a more complete player. Do I think he's a better player than VO? No--at least not while he's 18.

Point is, I see him as an upgrade to the middle-six and capable of playing multiple roles well. Kulich is a special player although I honestly don't see him as a top line player in Buffalo at any point.  I really believe he will be an excellent middle-six Swiss Army Knife player through his career.  Of all the prospects in our system, I'm most confident in Kulich playing multiple seasons in the NHL. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I won’t be surprised to learn that KA and Co. instructed Jeep to do just that; focus on and help Savoie develop those other aspects of his game. 

That part he said about the Sabres development coaches being around the Ice constantly — more than any other team he can think of ever - was pretty revelatory about how the Sabres are doing business.

I think back to how the Sabres gutted their hockey department, decimating the scouting staff.

The hockey department is back up to a similar complement to where it was prior to the purge, but a lot of the scouts were replaced by analytics guys and development coaches.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.