Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Matt Savoie on a run of 24 goals and 54 points in 33 games since Dec. 1.

In his past 12 games he has 13 goals and 11 assists.

I think those concerns about him not taking a step are being answered.

I’m so excited about Savoie.  I wouldn’t trade any of last years first round picks unless it’s for a young stud D.

To have C depth for the first time in like 10 years I’m not trading that unless it’s for a deal that knocks my socks off.  Dahlin, Power and Muel are great and should be in top 3 for years.  Bottom 3 d can be had for less than top prospects.  Even if we do seem to be heavy with good forward prospects. 

Edited by Derrico
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I've been following his games. He's really been maturing and coming on. So has Savoie. 

Lots of talent potential in those two. 

Agreed. And let’s not sleep on Östlund, either. 2022 draft could prove to be one of the best in our history.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

At some point KA has to consider flipping a forward prospect or two for a quality young D or D prospect.

He should have flipped his proven 20 goal winger who is sitting on 23 goals currently. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, pi2000 said:

At some point KA has to consider flipping a forward prospect or two for a quality young D or D prospect.

Honestly, the type of D they need.  More Samuelsson or Stillman than Power or Joki, can be had in any round of the draft or inexpensive in free agency.  They have their studs.  They just need to fill in complementary pieces. Ryan Johnson could be one.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

can be had in any round of the draft or inexpensive in free agency.

I agree with much of your statement, especially if you're talking about a partner for Power.  However, the drafting of D beyond the second round has rarely produced an impact player for the Sabres.

Here is a list of the list of D drafted outside the 2nd rd to play 100 plus games in the NHL in the last 30 years

Bryson - 159 games so far - 4th rd (99th overall in 2017)

Borgen - 112 games (4 for the Sabres) - 4th rd (92nd overall in 2015)

McNabb - 638 games (37 for the Sabres - 3rd rd (66th overall in 2009)

Biega - 243 games (0 w Buffalo) - 5th rd (142nd overall in 2006)

Butler - 407 games (155 w Buffalo) - 4th rd (96th overall in 2005)

Sekera - 842 games (339 w Buffalo) - 3rd rd (71st overall in 2004)

Hejda - 627 games (0 w the Sabres) - 4th rd (106th overall in 2003)

Paetsch - 167 games (157 w Buffalo) - 7th rd (202nd overall in 2003)

Wideman - 815 games (0 w the Sabres) - 8th rd (241st overall in 2002)

Campbell - 1082 games (391 w Buffalo) - 6th rd (156th overall in 1997)

Hnidy - 550 games (0 w Buffalo) - 7th rd (173rd overall in 1994)

Not exactly a long list and really only 2 impact players for the Sabres.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

Honestly, the type of D they need.  More Samuelsson or Stillman than Power or Joki, can be had in any round of the draft or inexpensive in free agency.  They have their studs.  They just need to fill in complementary pieces. Ryan Johnson could be one.  

Yes.   They need to add 1 more Dman to the mix  they will be in a good spot if Stillman is the #7

Whomever they add needs size and is good at D first but also has enough offensive ability to move up and play top 4 mins if Dahlin / Power miss a game or two 

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree with much of your statement, especially if you're talking about a partner for Power.  However, the drafting of 2 beyond the second round has rarely produced an impact player for the Sabres.

Here is a list of the list of D drafted outside the 2nd rd to play 100 plus games in the NHL in the last

they may feel they already have Power’s partner in Joki.  
Im hoping they use their first for a Dman BUT I bet they will take a forward.  Someone who they have a high first round grade will fall to them.  much like kulich did last season

Hoping they end up with 2 defencemen out of the draft’s top 50, which will completely change the complexion of our prospect pool.

Picture adding Lian Bichsel (18th last year) and Tristan Luneau (53rd) to Johnson, Lindgren, Komarov and Novikov; suddenly the pipeline has options.

The interesting thing is, this draft is so forward heavy that the best defencemen (Reinbacher and Pellikka according to McKenzie) are ranked down around where we could be picking.

That might be fortuitous, but it might also mean they go higher than they’re ranked due to teams wanting defencemen, forcing us to go forward with our top pick.

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

they may feel they already have Power’s partner in Joki.  
Im hoping they use their first for a Dman BUT I bet they will take a forward.  Someone who they have a high first round grade will fall to them.  much like kulich did last season

Even if the Sabres draft a defenseman early on in the draft it is unlikely that the player will be on the roster for at least another two years. If the Sabres add a defenseman in the offseason, odds are that it will be a Lyubushkin third-pairing caliber of player who will bulk up the lower pairing group. There's nothing wrong with that approach. As it stands Power is thriving while paired with Joki. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Even if the Sabres draft a defenseman early on in the draft it is unlikely that the player will be on the roster for at least another two years. If the Sabres add a defenseman in the offseason, odds are that it will be a Lyubushkin third-pairing caliber of player who will bulk up the lower pairing group. There's nothing wrong with that approach. As it stands Power is thriving while paired with Joki. 

Depends on whether that D-man comes via trade or FA.  If they go the FA route again, it likely is another Lyubushkin level player.  If they make a trade, would expect to see more of a true 4 coming back.

But really espect to see them bring their top 8 back from right now plus Johnson and another vet with them all duking it out for the 8 that make the opening day roster.  And Johnson almost definitely starts the year in Ra-cha-cha.  It'll be interesting to see if Clague or Bryson is the guy joining him there.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is correct. Unless we draft defensemen in the 1st round coming up, drafting isn’t going to fix our D problem. I would rather pick up real players. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.