2022 UFAs, Who do Sabres have a chance at

North Buffalo

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

From a UFA goaltender perspective, there’s not much left. 

(Assuming Campbell & Keumper aren’t coming to Buffalo) 

Eric Comrie

Thomas Greiss

Martin Jones 

Jaroslav Halak 

David Rittich 

So Comrie, I guess?

Comrie could be worth a shot, In tandem with Anderson. He’s watched Hellebuyck up close and should have learned a few things.

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

From a UFA goaltender perspective, there’s not much left. 

(Assuming Campbell & Keumper aren’t coming to Buffalo) 

Eric Comrie

Thomas Greiss

Martin Jones 

Jaroslav Halak 

David Rittich 

So Comrie, I guess?

There are several different avenues including FA but you left off Brayden Holtby & Mikko Koskinen. 

We could also go the RFA route and try to steal Varlamov from the Capitals or Oettinger from the Stars but then we have to think they'd retaliate when guys like Dahlin, Power and others contracts become available.

Also on the trade front you have John Gibson, Jonathan Quick, James Reimer or Hill from San Jose. Gibson seems unlikely because of years left on contract but Quick or Reimer would be solid stop gaps imo.

6 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

There are several different avenues including FA but you left off Brayden Holtby & Mikko Koskinen. 

We could also go the RFA route and try to steal Varlamov from the Capitals or Oettinger from the Stars but then we have to think they'd retaliate when guys like Dahlin, Power and others contracts become available.

Also on the trade front you have John Gibson, Jonathan Quick, James Reimer or Hill from San Jose. Gibson seems unlikely because of years left on contract but Quick or Reimer would be solid stop gaps imo.

Holtby has a major injury and Mikko signed in Europe. 

From the Athletic regarding Copp:

Two league sources said Chris Drury hasn’t given up on trying to make it work with Andrew Copp, who is still determined to get full value out of this trip to free agency — he’s seeking a similar deal in length and dollar amount to Zach Hyman, who signed a seven-year deal worth $5.5 million per with the Oilers last summer.

That’s pretty pricey. 

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I loved when UFA day was always on Canada Day.

When in the blazes does it start this year?

July 13th at noon, which is also when I believe the prospect camp starts which seems like a weird date for it to start. You'd think GMKA would want to focus his attention one each of those separately. Maybe it's an indication we won't be doing much in Free agency.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

July 13th at noon, which is also when I believe the prospect camp starts which seems like a weird date for it to start. You'd think GMKA would want to focus his attention one each of those separately. Maybe it's an indication we won't be doing much in Free agency.

Quite sure he can handle it. Technology is a wonderful thing😁

21 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Holtby's injured & according to Frank Seravalli his career may be over. Varlamov is on the Islanders signed for another year. There was some thought that Lamoriello would move him because it'd take $5 mil off their cap sheet, but looks like he's staying. Jake Oettinger is negotiating a new deal with the Stars.

I'm beyond desperate for at least an average NHL goalie here. I'd pay a premium with term if it meant having a good one come here.

Prospect pipeline timeline be damned.

21 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I know goalie is the main talk but do we re-sign Hinistroza? Or is Quinn taking his spot? Or a FA? I still think we need 2 RHD vets, who can we convince with an overpay to come mentor Power and help in the bottom pair? I know we’ll find out Wednesday.

How about Jan Rutta?  Tampa is out of money and still wants to sign Palat.  They want to re-sign Rutta too but may not have the money.  He would bring a lot of experience including playoffs.  Even overpaying for him wouldn't be too much if they could talk him into being the mentor for the whole Sabres D.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cheektorado said:

How about Jan Rutta?  Tampa is out of money and still wants to sign Palat.  They want to re-sign Rutta too but may not have the money.  He would bring a lot of experience including playoffs.  Even overpaying for him wouldn't be too much if they could talk him into being the mentor for the whole Sabres D.

I've been talking about Rutta for months.  I think he has to be near the top of KA's wish list.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've been talking about Rutta for months.  I think he has to be near the top of KA's wish list.

Great.  I haven't been on the board much and was scouring the RHD FAs and he just jumps out as a possible great fit.

Do you think 2 years $4M total would be reasonable for both parties?

Edited by Cheektorado

1 minute ago, Cheektorado said:

Great.  I haven't been on the board much and was scouring the RHD FAs and he just jumps out as a possible great fit.

Do you think 2 years $4M would be reasonable for both parties?

Great question.  He was paid 1.7 last year in real $ and took less money than he might have gotten elsewhere to stay in TB.  However, this is his opportunity to cash in and that might be how you get him here.  I don't think he is a $4 mill player.  With no RHD's really in the pipeline, I might offer him a 3rd year and slightly less money say, 3 years @ 3.5 per season.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Great question.  He was paid 1.7 last year in real $ and took less money than he might have gotten elsewhere to stay in TB.  However, this is his opportunity to cash in and that might be how you get him here.  I don't think he is a $4 mill player.  With no RHD's really in the pipeline, I might offer him a 3rd year and slightly less money say, 3 years @ 3.5 per season.

I edited 4 for the 2 years but you are right about playing for Tampa for less.  It would be OK for your terms.  Sabres have the money this year and next so I would do that.  

2 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

I edited 4 for the 2 years but you are right about playing for Tampa for less.  It would be OK for your terms.  Sabres have the money this year and next so I would do that.  

You could even structure the deal to give him $4 in real dollars next season with 3.25 the final two year or 3.5 then 3.0.  With the decreasing real $ it might make him tradable in year 3 if necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Thanks.

Good point about prospect camp, but maybe that is more for the coaching staff.

I hope that KA has a portable fax machine that runs on battrey power ...

2 hours ago, Cheektorado said:

Rita would be awesome but I read TB is working hard to re-sign him, not even sure how it’s possible.

Needs heading into Wednesday’s free agent signing period.

1) Starting goaltender - Available UFAs - Kuemper, Campbell. Others - Comrie, Jones, Rittich, Greiss

2) Top 4/6 RHD - Available UFAs - Klingberg, Manson.  Others Rutta, Stralman, Gudbranson, Subban

3) Depth D - such as Pysyk

4) 3rd or 4th line center - Copp?

KA’s likely approach;  in a word cautious. Avoid long-term deals if possible and preserve as many current assets as possible.  Weaponize our cap space to get quality assets cheap from trade. The team is still about 12.5 under the cap floor with only VO’s new contract as a major internal expense.

Given KA’s approach, we can scratch all the big $ UFAs off the list.  I also think Stralman, Gudbranson and Subban sign value deals with contenders to try to win a Cup like Bogo did.

If he goes with FAs, I think the best result would be Comrie (3 years @ $ 2.25 per season) and Rutta (3 years at $3.5 per season). Maybe he surprises with a one year big $ deal for Stralman such as 1 year $6 mill deal.

I think the trade market is the most likely place KA shops to get the players he needs.  The bold approach would be to make an offer sheet for Oettinger and acquire Marino from Pitt.  The value approach might be getting Petry and Allen from Montreal for a 2nd and Portillo with salary retention on Petry’s deal.  The cheap approach would be getting Reimer or Hill from SJ or even Talbot from Minn or Allen from Mon and then settling for a return of Pysyk on defense.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.