Who Is A Better at Hockey: Victor Olofsson or Samson Reinhart?

bob_sauve28

7 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Gotta score goals to win. They are both scorers, so seems like a fair way to judge them. What is Samson better at face offs or something? 

I'd go with Reinhart is better at almost all the facets of the game other than scoring goals.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Gotta score goals to win. They are both scorers, so seems like a fair way to judge them. What is Samson better at face offs or something? 

Passing, the cycle, board play, zone exits, defense, staying healthy, consistency, and his shot is on par even if it isn't as laser focused as Olofsson. You don't have a career 13.6sh% and 5 straight seasons of 20+ goals because your shot is mediocre. Hockey IQ also goes to Reinhart. 

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I'd go with Reinhart is better at almost all the facets of the game other than scoring goals.

I might even include scoring goals. Olofsson's shot from the circle is awesome but Reinhart seems to have the ability to score in more varied ways. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

IMHO it's not as crazy as it seems at first glance.

Reino was a good young player who spent his first 6 NHL years in a highly dysfunctional environment.  Like most young players, he was pretty inconsistent during his 1st 3 seasons.  His productivity took a major jump in his 4th season, Howie's 2nd and last season here, and he maintained that productivity for 2 more seasons under Krueger before stepping it up again this season on a loaded Florida team.  He'll end up this year with about 30 goals and 80 points, and 3rd among forwards in ice time on the Panthers, who are tied for 1st in the entire NHL.  That is a very good season.

As a Sabres fan, my main criticisms of Reino's game were that (i) he may or may not have been part of the problem here, but he wasn't part of the solution, (ii) he generally disappeared for lengthy stretches of each season, and those stretches coincided with the periods in which the season slipped away from the team and (iii) slow skating.  Still, he has developed over time into a very good NHL forward and I'd guess that both KA and most here would prefer he was still on the team.

This is VO's 3rd NHL season, and his first in a non-Covid, non-Krueger environment.  He was highly productive as a rookie, with 20 goals and 42 pts in 54 games, before slipping to 13-19-32 in 56 games in his 2nd year.  He's since bounced back with a fine 3rd year -- 20 goals and 44 pts in 68 games so far -- despite being out or substantially impaired for a large chunk of it with a wrist injury.  He's improved each year, he can score it and pass it, he's a very good skater and he seems like a good team guy.  If he stays healthy, I kinda expect him to score 30+ next year.

Reino is more durable, more solidly built, more adaptable, better on the boards and probably has better hockey IQ.  VO is faster, perhaps more skilled and perhaps a better team guy.  It's not impossible that VO's productivity will be more or less equivalent with Reino's as VO's career progresses if VO stays healthy and if VO's teammates improve to the level of Reino's current teammates.

Right now I think at least 30 NHL GMs take Reino, and rightly so.  In a few years though it might be less lopsided.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Both guys are 26 and Samson is the better player, but stats wise there is some room for debate.

Here is some food for thought

Olofsson g/gp .29; pts/gp .66

Reinhart g/gp .30; pts/gp .70

Sam is now a pt a game player and has 527 NHL games under his belt compared to 184 to Olofsson, but to Vic’s credit he has done a very good job here and should be re-signed. I like that even at 26 his game continues to develop.  Not bad for a 7th rd pick.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart and it's not close

Reinhart is a much more complete player. VO is only a sniper, but a potential 20-30 goal scorer for the next 5 years. Probably would have easily had 25 goals had he not been injured for a good part of the year, even after he came back to play it took several weeks for him to regain his shot.  

VO probably is a max 55-60 point player, but he has had some nice passes lately to set teammates up, so he has a little more than only a sniper but he is definitely a defensive liability still.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Both guys are 26 and Samson is the better player, but stats wise there is some room for debate.

Here is some food for thought

Olofsson g/gp .29; pts/gp .66

Reinhart g/gp .30; pts/gp .70

I think Reinhart has more points potential but VO is a better pure goal scorer.  His shot on the PP is lethal...reminds me a little of Kotalik in that regards, sans the shootout wizardry

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Reinhart is a much more complete player. VO is only a sniper, but a potential 20-30 goal scorer for the next 5 years. Probably would have easily had 25 goals had he not been injured for a good part of the year, even after he came back to play it took several weeks for him to regain his shot.  

VO probably is a max 55-60 point player, but he has had some nice passes lately to set teammates up, so he has a little more than only a sniper but he is definitely a defensive liability still.

I think Reinhart has more points potential but VO is a better pure goal scorer.  His shot on the PP is lethal...reminds me a little of Kotalik in that regards, sans the shootout wizardry

Just 25? Did he not go a really long stretch--when injured--of not having a goal? He went Nov, Dec and Jan without a goal and still has almost 20. I would guess he would have scored north of 35 goals if not injured. 

And I hope no one took this comparison as a shot at Sam. It was not. 

9 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Just 25? Did he not go a really long stretch--when injured--of not having a goal? He went Nov, Dec and Jan without a goal and still has almost 20. I would guess he would have scored north of 35 goals if not injured. 

And I hope no one took this comparison as a shot at Sam. It was not. 

He has 20 now after scoring 2 the other night.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.