GDT: Those dastardly Flyers V The Good Guys (7pm MSG) @ KBC

steveoath

2 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

You talking our man ‘Numbnuts’!?

No...

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

1 hour ago, Nitro60 said:

Admit it.  This is you.  Undercover Sabre victory dancer.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Skinny Santa passed away last year... RIP.  As far as I know, Colonel Mustard and Professor Plum are still alive and well.

33 minutes ago, NAF said:

Didn't get a chance to watch -- how was Power?

Mostly unnoticeable or nicely noticeable.  Good game.  Playing a little more offensively and was on the ice at the end to shut down the Flyers.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He’s probably glad he missed it.

There were a few defensive plays where Dahlin or Power simply took the puck away from a Flyer behind the Buffalo net and moved the puck out of the zone and I had a flashback of Risto trying and failing that kind of thing all the time when he played for us.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

Hope we’re mature enough that it doesn’t bite us on the ass tomorrow, but we played the first like we thought it would be easy and the the 3rd like we wanted to give it away; we won despite playing just one period the way we’re capable of.

I guess it’s a milestone when we aren’t the team on the wrong end of that equation. Philly is bad.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Another entertaining win. When they went down two goals early I wasn't worried (that's a good feeling for a change). We now have a legit team that can score goals across all our lines. Just fix the goaltending for next season please. Power is going to be great. I really believe that he will come into his own quicker than Dahlin did. Power made a couple of rookie mistakes but overall he is playing solid hockey in just his third game of his career.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

Another entertaining win. When they went down two goals early I wasn't worried (that's a good feeling for a change). We now have a legit team that can score goals across all our lines. Just fix the goaltending for next season please. Power is going to be great. I really believe that he will come into his own quicker than Dahlin did. Power made a couple of rookie mistakes but overall he is playing solid hockey in just his third game of his career.

That would be a big mistake imo going into the off-season thinking we just need a goalie. Still need a solid RHD, Starting Goalie, upgrade over Hinostroza, are we re-signing Olofsson? I'd also hope they find an upgrade over Middelstadt. They need to spend 22M to get to the cap floor so some upgrades will be in order and much needed.

35 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

That would be a big mistake imo going into the off-season thinking we just need a goalie. Still need a solid RHD, Starting Goalie, upgrade over Hinostroza, are we re-signing Olofsson? I'd also hope they find an upgrade over Middelstadt. They need to spend 22M to get to the cap floor so some upgrades will be in order and much needed.

Yes I agree we definitely need to tweak the lines a little. I was just pointing out the most glaring position that needs fixing. The point I was trying to make is we are doing a lot better in the goal scoring department this year compared to the last several years. I'm willing to give Mitts one more season. Dahlin just since the all star break finally got his game figured out. Mitts wasn't drafted till the year after Dahlin. Mitts makes some really good passes and comes up with the puck along the wall pretty well. He just needs to start scoring more.

Edited by sabresouth

Mitts has 15 points in 22 games since March 1, which also coincides with when he seemed to get past his injury in terms of the eye test. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the team started playing better around the same time. I don’t think he quite trusts his shot yet, but he’s got a good wrister.

He may only end up as a Derek Plante level player, but on this team he has been the critical mass that seems to have jumpstarted us from being a 2-line team to a 4-line team.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Mitts has 15 points in 22 games since March 1, which also coincides with when he seemed to get past his injury in terms of the eye test. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the team started playing better around the same time. I don’t think he quite trusts his shot yet, but he’s got a good wrister.

He may only end up as a Derek Plante level player, but on this team he has been the critical mass that seems to have jumpstarted us from being a 2-line team to a 4-line team.

A plethora of things happened leading into March to get this team looking better. Mitts and others getting healthy was a big part. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

2 hours ago, sabresouth said:

Yes I agree we definitely need to tweak the lines a little. I was just pointing out the most glaring position that needs fixing. The point I was trying to make is we are doing a lot better in the goal scoring department this year compared to the last several years. I'm willing to give Mitts one more season. Dahlin just since the all star break finally got his game figured out. Mitts wasn't drafted till the year after Dahlin. Mitts makes some really good passes and comes up with the puck along the wall pretty well. He just needs to start scoring more.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Mittelstadt is looking pretty good as dudacek points out. I see 0 reason to try and move on from him. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Earning his contract, and more than just on the scoresheet.

You make a good point, actually two points. Is he worth his $9 M per year contract? For the Sabres, definitely yes. For this team with its current payroll structure his contract cost, at least for now and the near future, doesn't hamper addressing other personnel decisions. He certainly contributes offensively by scoring goals but also surprisingly (pleasantly so) by his passing. In addition, as you note, his competitiveness and feisty play provides a spark to the team. In yesterday's game, his aggressive play resulted in attracting penalties. The bottom line is that the production and intangibles he provides are well worth his bountiful contract. We certainly weren't saying this during his exiling in the Krueger era.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Stop dumping on our Lord and Savior Mittlestadt

Not that long ago I would have never imagined saying that Mittlestadt is one of our better two-way players. He is now. He really works hard on the defensive side of the game. He's one of our best battlers on the wall. As @LGR4GMpoints out put some proficient scorers on his line and his offensive production and flair will be more on display. Compared to what he was a couple to few years ago he has transformed himself into playing a tougher all-around game. For some players the maturation process takes a little longer. Tage and Mitts are the embodiment of that. And coaching matters!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

The best decision this organization made this year was the hiring of Don Granato. The two players who would second that opinion are Skinner and Dahlin. He unchained them and set them free to exploit their natural talents. 

I've got to throw in Tage Thompson at least as a honorary mention.  Completely bypassed all my expectations for his career this season.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.