Sabres since beginning of March

jsb

My opinions and facts: They have played nearly a quarter of a season in that span to be able to make a valid opinion.

1. The Sabres are 10-6-3 in that time span, a pace of 99 points in 82 games
  2. They have played 16 games against playoff teams and 3 against teams, Vancouver, Chicago and Winnipeg that likely won't (Vegas still a maybe)
  3. Their play has improved not only because of improved if not great GK but also because of improved health of the team as a whole
  4. They now have 4 lines that don't get caved in on a regular basis and can put up points
  5. Skinner has 10 goals & 17 points, Olofsson has 11 goals & 15 points, Thompson has 10 goals & 18 points, Casey M. has 13 points, Okposo has 11 points, Tuch has 11 points to lead the team and the 3 guys above pacing for 40 goals in that stretch
  6. The emergence of Samuelsson to give the team a legitimate 3rd D man
  7. The emergence of Dahlin as a legitimate 1st pairing D
  8. What appears to be a real culture shift in a positive direction
  9. The confidence level of the young guys, Krebs, Cozens, Samuelsson and Mittelstadt all appearing to be going thru the roof
  10. Hinostroza, Asplund and Girgensons all adding depth to the forward ranks in speed and defensive awareness

Other things to be positive of: Power and Quinn's arrival on the team next year and possibly JJP & UPL. A ton of Cap Space to be able to make some veteran additions to the team as deemed necessary such as at RHD and GK plus maybe a scoring winger. 4 picks in the top 40 in the upcoming draft with the possibility of having a top 8 and #16. Granato's system being ingrained in the team to start next year. Throw away the chemically induced hopium because real hope is here and on the horizon for this team.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, jsb said:

My opinions and facts: They have played nearly a quarter of a season in that span to be able to make a valid opinion.

1. The Sabres are 10-6-3 in that time span, a pace of 99 points in 82 games
  2. They have played 16 games against playoff teams and 3 against teams, Vancouver, Chicago and Winnipeg that likely won't (Vegas still a maybe)
  3. Their play has improved not only because of improved if not great GK but also because of improved health of the team as a whole
  4. They now have 4 lines that don't get caved in on a regular basis and can put up points
  5. Skinner has 10 goals & 17 points, Olofsson has 11 goals & 15 points, Thompson has 10 goals & 18 points, Casey M. has 13 points, Okposo has 11 points, Tuch has 11 points to lead the team and the 3 guys above pacing for 40 goals in that stretch
  6. The emergence of Samuelsson to give the team a legitimate 3rd D man
  7. The emergence of Dahlin as a legitimate 1st pairing D
  8. What appears to be a real culture shift in a positive direction
  9. The confidence level of the young guys, Krebs, Cozens, Samuelsson and Mittelstadt all appearing to be going thru the roof
  10. Hinostroza, Asplund and Girgensons all adding depth to the forward ranks in speed and defensive awareness

Other things to be positive of: Power and Quinn's arrival on the team next year and possibly JJP & UPL. A ton of Cap Space to be able to make some veteran additions to the team as deemed necessary such as at RHD and GK plus maybe a scoring winger. 4 picks in the top 40 in the upcoming draft with the possibility of having a top 8 and #16. Granato's system being ingrained in the team to start next year. Throw away the chemically induced hopium because real hope is here and on the horizon for this team.

This current road trip shows they are getting better but still a ways from being able to play against the elite teams. But that's fine. They are doing a lot with a roster mostly made up of JAG's

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This current road trip shows they are getting better but still a ways from being able to play against the elite teams. But that's fine. They are doing a lot with a roster mostly made up of JAG's

Curious.  I would say they are doing it with a roster of up and coming young players (Dahlin, Samuelsson, Joker, Tage, Mitts, Krebs, Cozens). 

Just now, Pimlach said:

Curious.  I would say they are doing it with a roster of up and coming young players (Dahlin, Samuelsson, Joker, Tage, Mitts, Krebs, Cozens). 

I'm talking more about Eakin, Butcher, Hayden and Bjork. Though now that I think about it, they aren't playing much lately., Asplund is elevating himself from JAG  status and may stick. Will Bryson, Miler and Fitz be around?

Ya, I don't think you can really say that's a "roster of Jags" any more. Maybe a D man here and there but that's pretty much next year's roster too. One or two changes is all I expect. I wouldn't get too excited though, we had a solid late season run last year too. They need to play much better team D to compete and need more depth.

Having said that, they should have better depth next year and hopefully improvements at key positions so I expect them to be better next year than this. 

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Will Bryson, Miler and Fitz be around?

I say Yes, No, Yes.  Bryson has shown himself to be very versatile, skates well and while he doesn't "drive" a pairing, is a complementary piece even with Dahlin on the first paring.  He's a good piece to have.  Miller?  I don't see him has part of the future and not necessarily the guy I want educating young Owen.  Fitzgerald?  He's still learning but I like when he brings his sandpaper.  I think he is needed not so much for his hockey skill but for his grit.  Also, Miller is Miller.  He's maxed out.  Bryson and Fitzgerald are still growing as players and have upside.

8 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

We are bringing up 3 players at the start of next year Quinn, Power, UPL.

Going to have to see what happens to or UFAs to see witch three currently on the roster won't be back.

Caggiula and Bjork I'm done with.  Eakin can go and I hope he does but I could see where he is brought back.  I think we can easily fill his spot.  Butcher is done and I hope Miller is too but he's the one JAG D I could see Adams hanging on to (similar situation to Eakin).

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Caggiula and Bjork I'm done with.  Eakin can go and I hope he does but I could see where he is brought back.  I think we can easily fill his spot.  Butcher is done and I hope Miller is too but he's the one JAG D I could see Adams hanging on to (similar situation to Eakin).

Hinostroza  is a UFA also, if they sign him there is less of a chance of signing Eakin.

Bjork is on the team for another season, his contract expires next year. 

Miller may be a glue guy and is a great depth guy. He's 29 and in his prime, I doubt he wants to be a 7/8 guy and will shop the league for his best options. 

Caggiula was a 1 year depth signing. I can see Eakin being that guy next season.

Butcher will be shopping the league.

I see KA getting an end of career d-man as depth player for all the young guys in a cap dump deal.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm talking more about Eakin, Butcher, Hayden and Bjork. Though now that I think about it, they aren't playing much lately., Asplund is elevating himself from JAG  status and may stick. Will Bryson, Miler and Fitz be around?

The majority of the JAGs are scratched.   The first four you mentioned may never play again for the Sabres. Miller needs to go as well. 

Asplund, Bryson, Fitz will be fighting for jobs next season. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, I don't think you can really say that's a "roster of Jags" any more. Maybe a D man here and there but that's pretty much next year's roster too. One or two changes is all I expect. I wouldn't get too excited though, we had a solid late season run last year too. They need to play much better team D to compete and need more depth.

Having said that, they should have better depth next year and hopefully improvements at key positions so I expect them to be better next year than this. 

I think it depends, we'll lose RHD Colin Miller, If Hinostroza doesn't re-sign (I hope he does), Cody Eakin (Fingers crossed we don't re-sign him),  Craig Anderson (I hope we sign a better goalie), RHD Mark Pysyk and will we re-sign Victor Olofsson? 

I think at the very least we'll pickup a starting goaltender, a 4th line C, 2x starting RHD in free agency.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

You guys are going to lose your ***** when it happens, but I can almost guarantee Drake Caggiula will be signed as one of our spare forwards next year.

Caggiula and Hinostroza are very good, particularly at their prices.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Caggiula and Hinostroza are very good, particularly at their prices.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

You guys are going to lose your ***** when it happens, but I can almost guarantee Drake Caggiula will be signed as one of our spare forwards next year.

I sincerely doubt it.  We have 14 forwards already under contract or control.  If we add an upgrade of Eakin, that would be 15 forwards.  I think we retain Vinnie long before Caggiula returns.  I also think Bjork gets waived or traded.

Here is how it breaks down:

1) Vets under contract (4) - Skinner, Okposo, Girgensons & Tuch

2) Young core under contract (4) - Cozens, Thompson, Mitts, and Krebs

3) Rookies under contract (2) - Quinn & JJP

4) Depth forwards under contract (2) - Asplund & Bjork

5) RFA’s (2) - Olofsson &  Murray

That’s the 14.  Even if Murray and Bjork are sent down, that leaves 12 forwards.  Who would you rather re-sign Caggiula or Hinostroza?  

I also believe KA is going to invest in an upgrade for Eakin.  If I had to put odds on Caggiula returning it would be less then 20%.

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

They need Eakin as the designated face off guy.

3 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

They need Eakin as the designated face off guy.

No, they need TNT and Mitts to train and practice face offs heavily from now until next October. I’m sure they have been, I just hope over the summer there is a emphasis on them for those two.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I sincerely doubt it.  We have 14 forwards already under contract or control.  If we add an upgrade of Eakin, that would be 15 forwards.  I think we retain Vinnie long before Caggiula returns.  I also think Bjork gets waived or traded.

Here is how it breaks down:

1) Vets under contract (4) - Skinner, Okposo, Girgensons & Tuch

2) Young core under contract (4) - Cozens, Thompson, Mitts, and Krebs

3) Rookies under contract (2) - Quinn & JJP

4) Depth forwards under contract (2) - Asplund & Bjork

5) RFA’s (2) - Olofsson &  Murray

That’s the 14.  Even if Murray and Bjork are sent down, that leaves 12 forwards.  Who would you rather re-sign Caggiula or Hinostroza?  

I also believe KA is going to invest in an upgrade for Eakin.  If I had to put odds on Caggiula returning it would be less then 20%.

Or you could look at it like this:

• Hinostroza 
  • Eakin
  • Caggiula
  • Hayden
  • Ruotsalainen
  • jankowski

All represent expiring contracts that got significant time in the NHL this year. Adams is going to fill those contract slots.

Again, you are much too focused on the NHL starters. NHL GMs also want depth, preferably depth capable have playing in the NHL. Adams has the cap and he has the contract slot space. He doesn’t have a big group of prospects moving into the system.

Hopefully some of those slots are used on upgrades, but they all won’t be. Some will be used on depth.

Granato loves Caggiula; he’s mentioned it multiple times. Caggiula is an Adams type player - no excuses, fast, competitive, good teammate. Caggiula wants to be here. Caggiula is a pesky, fast worker who has played 270 NHL games and scored 1 point for every 3rd game. You could do a heckuva lot worse as a 15th forward.

I disagree with your math.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hinostroza 

Eakin

Caggiula

Hayden

Ruotsalainen

jankowski

All represent expiring contracts that got significant time in the NHL this year. Adams is going to fill those contract slots.

Again, you are much too focused on the NHL starters. NHL GMs want depth, preferably depth capable have playing in the NHL. Adams has the cap and he has the contract slot space. He doesn’t have a big group of prospects moving into the system.

Hopefully some of those slots are used on upgrades, but they all won’t be. Some will be used on depth.

Granato loves Caggiula; he’s mentioned it multiple times. Caggiula is an Adams type player - no excuses, fast, competitive, good teammate. Caggiula wants to be here. Caggiula is a pesky, fast worker who has played 270 NHL games and scored 1 point for every 3rd game. You could do a heckuva lot worse as a 15th forward.

Most of those expiring slots have already been filled.  Their names are Krebs, Tuch, Quinn and JJP.

You aren’t going to carry 15 forwards.  That leaves a roster with only 6 D and 2 G.  I sincerely doubt we open with no spare D.  

I do agree that Rochester needs warm bodies, especially on defense.  If KA signs Caggiula as a vet for Rochester. Great.  However he is no longer good enough to play on the Sabres full-time.  He and Bjork should have fun back in the A. 

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Most of those expiring slots have already been filled.  Their names are Krebs, Tuch, Quinn and JJP.

You aren’t going to carry 15 forwards.  That leaves a roster with only 6 D and 2 G.  I sincerely doubt we open with no spare D.  

I do agree that Rochester needs warm bodies, especially on defense.  If KA signs Caggiula as a vet for Rochester. Great.  However he is no longer good enough to play on the Sabres full-time.  He and Bjork should have fun back in the A. 

Last time I checked Krebs, Tuch, Quinn and JJ already have contracts.

No you aren’t going to carry 15 forwards on the NHL roster. Yes, assuming good health someone might have to get waived.

You’re nearly there. He wouldn’t be signing him “for Rochester” he’d be signing him for the 15-60 games he’s going to be needed in Buffalo.

The Sabres dressed 22 forwards this year. 18 of them played at least 18 games.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

• Hinostroza 
  • Eakin
  • Caggiula
  • Hayden
  • Ruotsalainen
  • jankowski

Again, you are much too focused on the NHL starters. NHL GMs also want depth, preferably depth capable have playing in the NHL. Adams has the cap and he has the contract slot space. He doesn’t have a big group of prospects moving into the system.

Hope his neck heals enough for that to continue.

I'm not sure how this thread went from a reason to be optimistic about the team and then became the Caggiula thread but here goes. According to CapFriendly we are committed to 41.9M in salary so far for the 22/23 season. This includes Skinner, Okposo, Tuch, Mitts, Girgensons, Bjork, Thompson, Cozens, Krebs, Asplund, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Samuelsson, Power, Fitzgerald and the last year of Cody Hodgson's buyout. 

That's 10 forwards and 5 defensemen. We have Bryson and Olofsson to be added as RFAs. We have Eeeeking, Hinostroza, Hayden, Miller, Pysyk, Anderson, Tokarski, Caggiula and Subban as UFAs. Olofsson being the only one that can be expected to get around 4M+, take your pick on who else might be back and at what price and you get possibly 10M out of that to be generous with Bryson, Hinostroza and Anderson with raises. You add just under 2-3M for Quinn, UPL and JJP. You are still around 7-8M under the Cap floor for next year and if you add the 2 RFAs, 3 at most UFAs and 3 rookies, you're at 23 players under contract. A trade for salary plus an UFA is a must just to get to the salary floor. 

I just don't see Caggiula in the mix unless you're sure you can pass him thru waivers to get to Rochester (which is probable after this injury plagued season) is a sure thing no one will pick him up, but will he go for it or try somewhere else and is he really worth it?? 

3 hours ago, jsb said:

I'm not sure how this thread went from a reason to be optimistic about the team and then became the Caggiula thread but here goes. According to CapFriendly we are committed to 41.9M in salary so far for the 22/23 season. This includes Skinner, Okposo, Tuch, Mitts, Girgensons, Bjork, Thompson, Cozens, Krebs, Asplund, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Samuelsson, Power, Fitzgerald and the last year of Cody Hodgson's buyout. 

That's 10 forwards and 5 defensemen. We have Bryson and Olofsson to be added as RFAs. We have Eeeeking, Hinostroza, Hayden, Miller, Pysyk, Anderson, Tokarski, Caggiula and Subban as UFAs. Olofsson being the only one that can be expected to get around 4M+, take your pick on who else might be back and at what price and you get possibly 10M out of that to be generous with Bryson, Hinostroza and Anderson with raises. You add just under 2-3M for Quinn, UPL and JJP. You are still around 7-8M under the Cap floor for next year and if you add the 2 RFAs, 3 at most UFAs and 3 rookies, you're at 23 players under contract. A trade for salary plus an UFA is a must just to get to the salary floor. 

I just don't see Caggiula in the mix unless you're sure you can pass him thru waivers to get to Rochester (which is probable after this injury plagued season) is a sure thing no one will pick him up, but will he go for it or try somewhere else and is he really worth it?? 

I expect Caggiula would clear waivers.  I personally would keep him for a call-up.  If they send Peterka to Rochester, it is because he does not need to be exposed to waivers.  After the first injury in Buffalo, he'd be up basically for good anyway.  I expect Asplund and Hinostroza to be 4th liners and get regular ice time.  All 4 of these guys will get 60+ games anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.