Adams: no downside if Portillo & Johnson go back to college for another year

Buffalonill

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You may be right that both players may decide to go elsewhere. I just believe that once the Sabres got Levi in a trade it made it less likely that he would come here. 

If Portillo really does not want to compete with Levi then I don't want him.  I don't want a player looking to slip into the lineup based on draft position status.   

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If Portillo really does not want to compete with Levi then I don't want him.  I don't want a player looking to slip into the lineup based on draft position status.   

Excellent point.

If he doesn’t want to challenge Levi for the net in Rochester and then Buffalo, I have doubts about his competitiveness. Even if he doesn’t win that battle, he may open some eyes and make himself wanted as a #1 in another organization.

Prove to the team that drafted you that you are working hard to make that team and help them move forward.

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Portillo is going to survey the teams and make a decision after the college season that he feels is in his best interest. He's abiding by the system that is in place and making it work for him. I have no problem with whatever decision he decides to make. 

• dislike 1

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

Portillo is going to survey the teams and make a decision after the college season that he feels is in his best interest. He's abiding by the system that is in place and making it work for him. I have no problem with whatever decision he decides to make. 

You don’t have a problem with losing the 67th pick in the 2019 draft?  Or in the case of Johnson,  losing the 31st player taken in tha same draft?  I do.  It’s no way to build a team.  

I would like to see that NCAA loophole eliminated.  It’s not fair.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You don’t have a problem with losing the 67th pick in the 2019 draft?  Or in the case of Johnson,  losing the 31st player taken in tha same draft?  I do.  It’s no way to build a team.  

I would like to see that NCAA loophole eliminated.  It’s it fair.  

Pimlach, I'm right there with you, but you're talking past JohnC.  JohnC is saying that Portillo is using the system to his benefit, the best he can, and doesn't blame him.  I can't blame Portillo, either.

That the system is bad, as you point out, is a different matter.

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with your point.  But from what I've read Portillo has never said that he won't sign with the Sabres and certainly not because he is afraid of Levi as the favorite prospect.  I would think that our current situation in goal is much less intimidating than when we had an established veteran in net like Hasek or Miller.  We also don't see goalies playing 70 games anymore so there's room for 2 good goalies.  Maybe Comrie will impress but we'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I would like to see that NCAA loophole eliminated.  It’s it fair.  

I don't like losing any drafted players just as I don't like losing players who are entering their free agent year and refuse to sign. Under the current system you can end up losing players while on the other hand you can also be a beneficiary of signing a free agent college player who doesn't want to remain with the team that originally signed him. Player movement is part of all pro sports. You may not like it but it's part of the system that you have to deal with and adjust to. 

• 1 month later...

Portillo is currently sitting at a .905 save percentage. Johnson is third in scoring on the U of Minn D-core. 

I'm thinking at this point, either will be just as valuable (if not moreso) as compensatory picks rather than as players in the Sabres org (though my understanding of the compensatory pick process isn't exactly clear).

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Portillo is currently sitting at a .905 save percentage. Johnson is third in scoring on the U of Minn D-core. 

I'm thinking at this point, either will be just as valuable (if not moreso) as compensatory picks rather than as players in the Sabres org (though my understanding of the compensatory pick process isn't exactly clear).

You know the sabrespace motto by now:  We can an never have enough goalies in the system 😛

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Compensatory Picks: If a team does not sign their first-round pick within two years, they will be awarded a compensatory pick in the Draft immediately following. The pick will be in the 2nd round, equal to the selection number of the unsigned player. All other teams' selections move back one spot.

Portillo:  3rd round pick, no compensation

Johnson:  1st round pick (#31); compensation would be the 31st pick in round 2 (#63 overall).

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

As I understand it, there is no compensatory pick for Portillo.  As for Johnson, it would be the 31st or 32nd pick in rd 2 of the 2024 draft I believe.

I think it is too early in the season to draw any conclusions about Portillo's performance / save %.  That said, I don't think we are signing him.

As for Johnson, his value was never going to be as a points producer.  I think he is something between Samuelsson and Bryson.  He is a defence first D-Man who skates better than Samuelsson but is not as big or physical.  Johnson will most likely be an NHL player.  I think he is worth more to the Sabres if signed than the 63rd or 64th pick in 2024.   

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

“No downside” lmao

Johnson could and would be suiting up right now for us 

If he can't beat out Bryson/Pilut, then he won't be stepping into very many top 6s in the league next season, either. (And I'd still want him starting for half a season in the AHL anyway.) But, yes, he'd definitely be logging 20 minutes/night for the Sabres right now.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

“No downside” lmao

Very few NCAA D prospects would be ready to step into an NHL lineup and not be a huge liability. 

Someone of his caliber would need plenty of AHL seasoning playing a men's game before he'd be close to ready. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

“No downside” lmao

“Right now” definitely. Would he make our top 6 if not for the current injuries to the D corp? I honestly don’t know how good he is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.