Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

I get the best friend and Beanpot tournament stuff but still.  This is a strange decision.

I wonder if he thinks he needs 1 more year of development before he’s ready for the NHL, and he’d rather spend it in college than in the A?

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

i thought I detected something from Adams in his no comment to Marek this morning.

Disappointing, but organizationally it works to sign Portillo this year and Devon next.

Unfortunate we will have to listen to the Chicken Littles bleat another year about him bolting.

tenor.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

i thought I detected something from Adams in his no comment to Marek this morning.

Disappointing, but organizationally it works to sign Portillo this year and Devon next.

Unfortunate we will have to listen to the Chicken Littles bleat another year about him bolting.

It's disappointing IMO because it just wastes a year of his development and prolongs his arrival. College hockey offers nothing to his pro future 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I get the best friend and Beanpot tournament stuff but still.  This is a strange decision.

I wonder if he thinks he needs 1 more year of development before he’s ready for the NHL, and he’d rather spend it in college than in the A?

Call me crazy but I honestly thought he was gonna be in the competition for the starting job next year 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Uh he didn’t win anything this year. His best friend he has played with since they were 5 is playing at NE. He never got to play in the Beanpot tournament.

The season ended on his giveaway.

His motivations maybe more then just making Sabres fans happy.

When I heard about his best friend it made a lot more sense to me to go back. It’s unlikely they’ll ever play together again so I imagine it’s pretty special. 

The kid is excited to be a Sabre, it’ll happen in his timeframe which is fair enough.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Punch said:

When I heard about his best friend it made a lot more sense to me to go back. It’s unlikely they’ll ever play together again so I imagine it’s pretty special. 

The kid is excited to be a Sabre, it’ll happen in his timeframe which is fair enough.

Buffalo could have easily signed his best friend  Just like they did for Jack

By the way what's his friend's name is he any good?

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Buffalo could have easily signed his best friend  Just like they did for Jack

Yeah, I’m not saying I agree but I get it. Being the big men on campus holds some appeal.

I don’t think his friend has as promising a pro career ahead of him. Signing Rodrigues was also probably not a great idea, looking back, although he turned out to be effective.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Punch said:

Yeah, I’m not saying I agree but I get it. Being the big men on campus holds some appeal.

I don’t think his friend has as promising a pro career ahead of him. Signing Rodrigues was also probably not a great idea, looking back, although he turned out to be effective.

Honestly he turned out alright lol .

Looking at this Justin Hryckowian he could be ahler 

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

If Portillo stays we're pretty much   screwed 

Lol, do you ever just stop for a minute or is everything the sky is falling? 

Portillo will sign in a week and Levi can sign next spring. I'll bet Adams will dangle signing his buddy to an ahl deal too just to help it along if needed but honestly, I don't think it will be needed. 

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yup.

• Like (+1) 1

I have to believe that KA see's no problem with him in college for all the right reasons for another year. If KA had major reservations and thought it would severely hamper Devon I'm sure they could have worked out a deal. 

He can never go back to play for NE once he goes pro and I'm sure it was a hard decision to make. 

Edited by woods-racer

33 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Why is this a strange decision? He's a bright individual who enjoys the college atmosphere. No doubt hockey is an important part of his life. At Northeastern he will be getting a lot of playing time against the top college players. Although playing at the college level is not the same as playing in the pros (AHL or NHL) he's disciplined and dedicated to hockey where he can still work on his game. 

As with Power staying another year in college is not going to set him back in his career. It might even better prepare him for the pro game from both a hockey and maturity standpoint. He made a decision that he felt was in his best interest. Kudos to him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll wait to see if Kevin Adams has any further comments on Levi................

But if a contract was offered, it seems strange to me to pass it up and wait another year.  He had a great season and he's developed well in college.  He looks ready to try with tougher competition and schedule.  This is a great opportunity without any established NHL goalie in front of him on the Sabres.

Sit back and wait I guess, goalies take time.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Digger said:

I'll wait to see if Kevin Adams has any further comments on Levi................

But if a contract was offered, it seems strange to me to pass it up and wait another year.  He had a great season and he's developed well in college.  He looks ready to try with tougher competition and schedule.  This is a great opportunity without any established NHL goalie in front of him on the Sabres.

Sit back and wait I guess, goalies take time.

We want players that bleed blue and gold. Levi does not.

I’m not sure if going back another college season will have negative long term effects, but it certainly won’t have any positive ones. He won’t repeat his performance again and he’s likely going to be put out to dry by his teammates again. Good luck there. There’s a snowball chance in hell NE will go on to win a championship next season. 

Let’s see if Portillo signs. If he does and another GM dangles us a young right-handed Muel for him, I wouldn’t hang up if I were Adams. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

We want players that bleed blue and gold. Levi does not.

I’m not sure if going back another college season will have negative long term effects, but it certainly won’t have any positive ones. He won’t repeat his performance again and he’s likely going to be put out to dry by his teammates again. Good luck there. There’s a snowball chance in hell NE will go on to win a championship next season. 

Let’s see if Portillo signs. If he does and another GM dangles us a young right-handed Muel for him, I wouldn’t hang up if I were Adams. 

Ik after he didn't sign I'd read some bad takes but so far this is the frontrunner by far. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

If Portillo stays we're pretty much   screwed 

Why? Miller stayed in school another year after winning the Hobey Baker. It didn't harm him any and I suspect it won't hurt Portillo or Levi.  If both guys stay in school, then will get a very clear picture about where UPL is at and then we can send him down if (when ?) he proves not to be ready.  

That said, I'd almost rather sign Portillo.  He is a year older and I don't mind staggering the two goaltender a little.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why? Miller stayed in school another year after winning the Hobey Baker. It didn't harm him any and I suspect it won't hurt Portillo or Levi.  If both guys stay in school, then will get a very clear picture about where UPL is at and then we can send him down if (when ?) he proves not to be ready.  

That said, I'd almost rather sign Portillo.  He is a year older and I don't mind staggering the two goaltender a little.

We’ll get a very clear picture of UPL up on the Sabres the whole year and Portillo glued to the net in Rochester the whole year. 

• Like (+1) 1

He gets the Beanpot, he gets a 2nd year with his buddies, he gets another shot at the Hobey Baker, he gets another year of college life, he gets another year towards his degree, he gets a shot at redemption after ending the season on a sour note.

Apparently, these are things he wants to experience before he throws himself into what he probably believes will be a 15-year run as a professional hockey player.

Sounds like he is very happy with being a Buffalo Sabre and there is no indication he intends to start his professional career anywhere else.

Looking forward to it. 

• Like (+1) 8

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He gets the Beanpot, he gets a 2nd year with his buddies, he gets another shot at the Hobey Baker, he gets another year of college life, he gets another year towards his degree, he gets a shot at redemption after ending the season on a sour note.

Apparently, these are things he wants to experience before he throws himself into what he probably believes will be a 15-year run as a professional hockey player.

Sounds like he is very happy with being a Buffalo Sabre and there is no indication he intends to start his professional career anywhere else.

Looking forward to it. 

Sorry if I missed it in the thread but is there an interview link where he said this?  I do hope that Adams has something positive to say on him staying in school for another year.

I guess I'm just disappointed, knowing that development takes time (for all of our prospects) and it was my belief that getting him some time in the AHL next season would have him ready to play for the Sabres sooner than waiting.