2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Getting PK doesn't mean that you still can't add a defensive defenseman. The Sabres have enough cap space to address a variety of positions and still be in the vicinity of the cap floor.  

Please explain what PK brings to the table that we actually need?  

47 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Experienced RHD probably on a good contract that won't hurt the development of __________________ (fill in the blank).

Subban couldn’t play top 4 minutes with NJ and now people want him to pair with Power and play top 4 minutes here.  That makes zero scene.  Power needs a smart defensive partner, not a has been offensive D.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

His Metrics improved in all phases when He was given less minutes, namely dropped to 4/5 Defenseman Role. 
He would be an experienced D Man to pair with Power initially,  that would have a very good understanding of the inner workings of the Sabres from Malcolm 
His Average Ice Time was 18:08, it would be probably be the same in Buffalo with a small special teams role. 

If there is any concern about Him in Locker Room, Jason Karmanos has a great relationship with NJD GM Tom Fitzgerald and will get an honest assessment of PK. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Subban is fine. He seems a good fit for an energetic young locker room and he no longer needs to be the guy. Definitely a good media guy to show them the ropes. He’s now a $3-4M D which is the price range to be shopping. The problem is he isn’t the player type we need. We need a PKer who is a defensive stalwart and shot blocker to pair with Power. Subban would effectively be a Joker replacement. And Joker can become Lydman when he grows up a bit. I wouldn’t move him just to bring in Subban.  

Also, I don’t need Power to be a top 4 as a rookie. He can be the 5/6 and get 2nd PP time. There is no need to rush him.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'll tell you exactly what he brings to the table. He is a RHD who can skate and shoot. He adds experience to a unit that is very young. Miller won't be on the team next year so he would be a good replacement. At this stage of his career PK is no longer a first or second pairing player. But as a third pairing player with his playing time curtailed, he still has something to offer to the group. 

29 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Subban is fine. He seems a good fit for an energetic young locker room and he no longer needs to be the guy. Definitely a good media guy to show them the ropes. He’s now a $3-4M D which is the price range to be shopping. The problem is he isn’t the player type we need. We need a PKer who is a defensive stalwart and shot blocker to pair with Power. Subban would effectively be a Joker replacement. And Joker can become Lydman when he grows up a bit. I wouldn’t move him just to bring in Subban.  Also, I don’t need Power to be a top 4 as a rookie. He can be the 5/6 and get 2nd PlaP time. There is no need to rush him.

In his rookie season, Power is going to be a second pair player partnered with Joki. Although he will make mistakes due to his inexperience he is going to shine and be a major contributor. He's a player that you don't have to be worried about. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Malcolm sang the anthem, maybe PK can sing too.

Seriously I don't understand the interest in signing him.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see PK Subban being anything like the roles that Teppo Numminen or James Patrick provided for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Digger said:

Seriously I don't understand the interest in signing him.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see PK Subban being anything like the roles that Teppo Numminen or James Patrick provided for the Sabres.

Or Toni Lydman or etc.....

PK Subban's skill set simply doesn't fit with the team's needs.  So many better choices.  

Quick cap update

$47,801,667 for 12 forwards, 4 D and ZERO G.  This includes Bishops, CoHo, Bjork, JJP and Quinn.  

Add RFAs VO (5.5 for 4 years) and Bryson (1.67? for 3 years).  Add these two and the team has 13 forwards and 5 D for $54,971,667 or about 7.5 mill under the cap with 2 goalies slots and 3-4 skaters to sign (the 4th slot would be a Bjork replacement).  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Or Toni Lydman or etc.....

PK Subban's skill set simply doesn't fit with the team's needs.  So many better choices.  

A 2nd or 3rd pairing D man with experience and fits the system in Buffalo that will sign a deal for short term.  Are there really many better choices?

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

In his rookie season, Power is going to be a second pair player partnered with Joki. Although he will make mistakes due to his inexperience he is going to shine and be a major contributor. He's a player that you don't have to be worried about. 

I agree he will be a major contributor. But I just don't need him to get over 18 min/game this season. If he does, and is worthy of it, all the better. I'm fine with even Bryson getting more 5 on 5 time (as long as it isn't Bryson/Fitz as the 2nd pair). Power can have room to grow while we lean on a Muel-Rasmus pairing. And if we get a vet for Joker, or a vet for Power is the key.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Who are you willing to give up that is actually worth a 2nd pair RD that fits our system?

Another aspect is acquisition cost. Subban costs nothing, someone like Radko Gudas  might cost a late round pick (which would be worth it), someone such as Matt Dumba would be expensive. 

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

Who are you willing to give up that is actually worth a 2nd pair RD that fits our system?

What we are looking for a good fits that might end up being cap dumps or cap casualties.  For example Dumba or even Dmitry Orlov.  Maybe TB lets Jan Rutta (UFA) walk.  There is also Letang, Stralman, Jensen (Wash), or even Gudas. All would be better choices than Subban.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What we are looking for a good fits that might end up being cap dumps or cap casualties.  For example Dumba or even Dmitry Orlov.  Maybe TB lets Jan Rutta (UFA) walk.  There is also Letang, Stralman, Jensen (Wash), or even Gudas. All would be better choices than Subban.

Who are you willing to give up that is actually worth a 2nd pair RD that fits our system?

2 hours ago, Digger said:

Why not?  How is it much different?

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

To me Teppo and Jeep were great skaters and elite thinkers which allowed them to transition from great offensive dmen into reliable defensive dmen. I don’t know if PK is there as a skater or thinker. I think both were great teammates and I don’t know if PK is one or not.

Palat is a UFA this offseason...

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

PK Subban would be a Numminen/Patrick in terms of type of player. And that'd be fine if the rest of the D-corps was different.

But James Patrick joined a D of: Smehlik - Zhitnik; Shannon - McKee; Patrick - Woolley; (Wilson, Grand-Pierre).  They had the veteran defense-first guys already: Smehlik, Shannon, and another two D-first kids in McKee and Wilson. (And would swap Wilson for an even savvier D-first Warrener.)

Numminen essentially directly replaced James Patrick. The season before Numminen joined, the D-corps was: Zhitnik - Kalinin; Tallinder - Campbell;  McKee - Patrick (Fitzpatrick, Delmore, B Brown (acquired late), Jillson). Zhitnik, ancient Patrick, and baby Campbell being the only true offensive guys there.

This Sabres team has Dahlin, Power, and Bryson will be offense first. Muel and Joker are the D-first guys. They need a 3rd (and better than Fitz/Pysyk). Subban is better than those two... but he's not a shutdown D.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

To me Teppo and Jeep were great skaters and elite thinkers which allowed them to transition from great offensive dmen into reliable defensive dmen. I don’t know if PK is there as a skater or thinker. I think both were great teammates and I don’t know if PK is one or not.

I have no memory of Patrick, but I don’t recall Numminen ever being considered a defensive defenseman.

By all accounts, Subban reinvent his game this past season into a more conservative, reliable presence.

I understand that a defensive defenseman who will be a top PKer seems preferable, but I can see how PK could bring a lot to the table too.  He was a top offensive defenseman for a long time.  He has been under a lot of pressure situations and has a lot of experience in this league.  I feel like he could probably help guide our own young, offensive defenseman for a couple of years.

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

One Forward I might be willing to go after is Palat. Guy is clutch and reminds me of Hossa

Way better than Eakin.

This is his first time in the playoffs but he has played well. He scored the game winner in the World Championships last year for Canada. He played in the World Juniors back in the day. Wore an A in Ottawa.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.