2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

28 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Because early in the season he was absolutely a defensive liability in Rochester. I say this having watched most Amerks games on AHL.tv. By his own admission, he was adjusting to the size of the ice sheet being 20% smaller than the DEL. He was caught out of position a bunch (physical 'North American' hockey vs finesse 'European' hockey). By the end of the season it was substantially less noticeable. Quinn is definitely a better back-checker and I think that's who he is most compared to for obvious reasons and so the point is always reiterated, but that may simply be the fact Quinn is a faster skater.

JJ also struggled (relative to how he finished) offensively to start the season which seems to be forgotten or ignored. He worked to overcome it and, again, ice sheet and game style were the big factors. He's a smart hockey player who works and works and works (insert joke about German efficiency here). I don't foresee him having difficulty making the Sabres out of training camp as I'm not worried about him spending the off-season twiddling his thumbs.

I think at times he jumps to offence and leaves the defensive zone in anticipation of a turnover and looking to create an odd man rush.   
Overall, I absolutely love the kid. 

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If I remember correctly Appert talked about JJP's needing to do a better job of backchecking and that was going to be an area of focus going forward.

It will be interesting to hear an update 

he’s now killing penalties for them, so maybe he’s improved.  
thanks for clarifying it came from the coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Gudbransen has flourished in Calgary with Zadorov as a big physical defensive pairing that know their role and keep it simple.

I think he would be a good signing but he is not the guy to be Power’s partner 

He would be 3rd pairing, PK but would addalot of physicality and leadership back there.

I caught an interview with Erik Gudbranson on HNIC and he was saying that he really hopes that he can stay in Calgary because his wife is tired of all the moving.  Not saying to pass on him (would love to have him as a 5/6 pair) but he does sound really motivated to offer a discount to stay put in Calgary.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Gudbransen has flourished in Calgary with Zadorov as a big physical defensive pairing that know their role and keep it simple.

I think he would be a good signing but he is not the guy to be Power’s partner 

He would be 3rd pairing, PK but would addalot of physicality and leadership back there.

That's what I'm thinking. Creates depth and makes the 3rd pairing solid. There is no good pairing for Power in free agency this year so I think we go with Joker. You could sign Manson but he's not ideal either. Might be best just to keep Joker there. 

1 hour ago, Digger said:

I caught an interview with Erik Gudbranson on HNIC and he was saying that he really hopes that he can stay in Calgary because his wife is tired of all the moving.  Not saying to pass on him (would love to have him as a 5/6 pair) but he does sound really motivated to offer a discount to stay put in Calgary.

Could very well be, but don't they have a bunch of players to sign? Not sure they can offer him his worth so I'd make an offer and see what happens. 

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

As I mentioned in the Dman thread, Gudbranson wouldn't work well here due to his requirement of a heavily structured system like how Calgary does it under Sutter

Here's my most recent idea

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3216649

I would consider DeMelo, but I don't think Winnipeg would make that deal. 

Let the off-season begin.

Off-season title - Kevyn Adams and the Quest For Good Goaltending.

This has been a great final two months of the season, but KA's mission this off-season, besides getting real goaltending, is what other moves shrink the gap between our young squad and the best in the NHL.  

The Sabres went 16-9-3 in the last two month.  However the 9 loses were all against playoffs teams.   The final score in those 9 games were 45-13 with 3 shutouts, including 3 losses to Fla and getting blown out by Bos and TB. Goaltending certainly played a role, but all aspects of the team were lacking.  This is the gap that must be closed.

Closing that gap is Ka's mission this summer.  He has the money to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This has been a great final two months of the season, but KA's mission this off-season, besides getting real goaltending, is what other moves shrink the gap between our young squad and the best in the NHL.  

The Sabres went 16-9-3 in the last two month.  However the 9 loses were all against playoffs teams.   The final score in those 9 games were 45-13 with 3 shutouts, including 3 losses to Fla and getting blown out by Bos and TB. Goaltending certainly played a role, but all aspects of the team were lacking.  This is the gap that must be closed.

Goaltending.

Solidifying the defence.

Forward depth.

He has to spend wisely.  Power and Dahlin are due in 2 years.  Samuelsson and Thompson are up next year.  And those are just the enormous pay raises in the offing.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ok, I am not disagreeing with your basic premise, but if we look at the last 2 months of the season, among those wins you know who they also beat?  Toronto (3 times), Minnesota, Calgary, Pittsburgh, Nashville, and  Carolina. So yes, all of their losses were to playoff teams, but they also beat 8 playoff teams in that stretch.  it isn't uncommon for very good teams to have losing records during the regular season against playoff teams (I think at one point this year, Calgary, Tampa, the Rangers, Boston, Washington, and Nashville ALL had losing records vs teams that were in contention for the playoffs)

So yes, I agree with you they not only lost to some of the top teams, but some of the losses were brutal...and except against Toronto their wins against playoff teams were a lot tighter. They have to get better there. But if I do look at the last 2 months, I am overall encouraged at their performance vs top teams. Early in the year, or a couple years ago, I would expect most of those games to be almost automatic losses. The fact they went almost .500 vs playoff teams the last month for me is good progress.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree with the central point you are making.  The Sabres have a gap to close between them and the playoff teams in the Eastern Conference.  It will not be easy to close that gap and much will need to go right in order for the Sabres to become contenders for a playoff position. I also agree that we have the cap space, and prospect/draft capital, to narrow the gap. I think it can be done without giving away too much of the future. 

That said, I think there are some flaws in the evidence you are using to support your conclusion. First, it's a good thing that all 9 regulation losses were against playoff teams. Getting to the playoffs is as much about separating yourself from the bottom tiers of the league as it is about joining the top tier. It is very much a good thing that we did not lose a game in regulation against a non-playoff team in March and April. 

Second, as mjd1001 has pointed out, it is not as though we feasted entirely on non-playoff teams over the past two months.  8 of our 16 wins came against Toronto (3 times), Minnesota, Calgary, Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Carolina.  I would add that two additional wins were against Vegas and Vancouver, teams that were feverishly trying to get into playoff contention.  The Sabres had a tougher than average schedule in the last two months and played at a 102-103 point pace.  While that is not a clear indication we are now playoff bound, it's definitely a good thing.

Finally, I think there is a flaw in isolating that we were outscored by 32 goals (45-13) in our last 9 regulation losses. In hockey, too much is sometimes read into a 5-0 or 6-1 loss. They play 82 of these and even good teams will have several games over the course of a year that just get away from them. Regulation losses in hockey, even for good teams, often turn lopsided. For comparison, Toronto's negative goal differential over their last 9 regulation losses is -30.  Calgary's is -25.  Washington's is -27. Edmonton's -25.  Nashville's -29.  Dallas -26.  Los Angelas -29.  Those are all playoff teams. None of those are quite as bad as the Sabres's -32, but if you take any team's last 9 regulation losses, the negative goal differential will likely be bad. 

• Like (+1) 2

I keep seeing ideas discussing throwing big $ at Malkin, Letang, MAF, or acquires Toews to help get to the cap floor and add some quality veteran leadership.  

While nothing is wrong with these ideas, it just doesn’t feel like how KA wants to proceed.  My guess is he feels burned by the Hall mess.

Given the lack of D depth in the farm system and the college delay on the goaltenders, it seems prudent for KA to acquire a D and a G who can be here 3-4 years.  Throwing big money at a name for a year or two doesn’t fit this goal.

The problem is every time I look at who is available I’m not jumping up and down wanting for them to be acquired.

It’s funny, but I never thought it would be so hard to spend $10 mill on a couple of guys who would be the right fit here.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I keep seeing ideas discussing throwing big $ at Malkin, Letang, MAF, or acquires Toews to help get to the cap floor and add some quality veteran leadership.  

While nothing is wrong with these ideas, I just doesn’t feel like how KA wants to proceed.  My guess is he feels burned by the Hall mess.

Given the lack of D depth in the farm system and the college delay on the goaltenders, it seems prudent for KA to acquire a D and a G who can be here 3-4 years.  Throwing big money at a name for a year or two doesn’t fit this goal.

The problem is every time I look at who is available I’m not jumping up and down wanting for them to be acquired.

It’s funny, but I never thought it would be so hard to spend $10 mill on a couple of guys who would be the right fit here.

So maybe the game plan is to make a few trades.  There might be players out there who are very good players, good teamates, but just on teams that are up against the cap.  I'm thinking of a very good player that SHOULD be under contract for $4 million per year, but is actually making $5 per year or more.  That team he is on might want to keep him, but simply has to make some tough decisions and the Sabres may be in position to pick up those players.

No one in particular comes to mind, but I know there are 'very good' players out there that are getting paid like 'great' players, and the Sabres might be in position to trade for some of them.

25 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

So maybe the game plan is to make a few trades.  There might be players out there who are very good players, good teamates, but just on teams that are up against the cap.  I'm thinking of a very good player that SHOULD be under contract for $4 million per year, but is actually making $5 per year or more.  That team he is on might want to keep him, but simply has to make some tough decisions and the Sabres may be in position to pick up those players.

No one in particular comes to mind, but I know there are 'very good' players out there that are getting paid like 'great' players, and the Sabres might be in position to trade for some of them.

If you look at the goaltending thread I list a group of goalies with 1-3 years left on their deals.  Of the 19 guys on the list their are only 3 that interest me and who I think  may be available this offseason. They are Dreidger, Allen and Ullmark.  Sadly Ullmark has a M-NTC so I doubt he wants to return. Not exactly a long list.  

The list is a little larger for the RHD.  This list is smaller but with a larger number that would fit the Sabres (1-3 years on their contracts). They are Dumba, Jensen, Myers, Tanev, Severson, DeMelo, Poink and Larsson. However, I doubt most of them are actually available.

KA surprisingly has a really tough job this summer. 

36 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Really wouldn't be surprised if the 2RD is brought in via trade.

Expect the G to come via FA.  Him & a bunch of tweeners adding depth & helping Ra-cha-cha.

The 4C, if one is obtained, could come via trade but more likely FA.

From John Vogl’s piece today in The Athletic:

In 2003-04, the Sabres were a paltry 25th in the league from October to mid-January with a .438 points percentage. But they began jelling around the midpoint and became the sixth-best team from mid-January to April with a .632 points percentage. They started to feel they could win every game and proved it.

When the 2005-06 season finally began, a whopping 19 players returned from the 2003-04 team. They still had the same belief in themselves and rode the speed-enhancing rule changes all the way to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final.

These Sabres are scheduled to have at least 16 of their 18 skaters back next season.

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From John Vogl’s piece today in The Athletic:

In 2003-04, the Sabres were a paltry 25th in the league from October to mid-January with a .438 points percentage. But they began jelling around the midpoint and became the sixth-best team from mid-January to April with a .632 points percentage. They started to feel they could win every game and proved it.

When the 2005-06 season finally began, a whopping 19 players returned from the 2003-04 team. They still had the same belief in themselves and rode the speed-enhancing rule changes all the way to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final.

These Sabres are scheduled to have at least 16 of their 18 skaters back next season.

We have mentioned the similarities before.  They 03/04 team then added In 2005/6 Miller, Vanek, Pommers and Gaustad to the young group.  This time we are adding UPL, Quinn, Power and JJP.  Eerily similar, except UPL isn’t Ryan Miller.  DR also added Teppo Numminen and Toni Lydman the offseason before 2005/6.  We need KA to find at least one D of similar quality this offseason.  

Both squads were/are designed to roll 4 capable lines.  The 2005/6 team had 11 double digit goal scorers including Soupy of which 5 had 20-25 goals and Drury chipped in 30.  It’s very possible we see something similar next season.  In fact, assuming everyone stays healthy, it’s literally possible that all 12 forwards could score 10 or more with 5 guys (VO, Quinn, TNT, Tuch and Skins) pencilled in for at least 20.  Dahlin and Power could also add 10+ each.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We have mentioned the similarities before.  They 03/04 team then added In 2005/6 Miller, Vanek, Pommers and Gaustad to the young group.  This time we are adding UPL, Quinn, Power and JJP.  Eerily similar, except UPL isn’t Ryan Miller.  DR also added Teppo Numminen and Toni Lydman the offseason before 2005/6.  We need KA to find at least one D of similar quality this offseason.  

Both squads were/are designed to roll 4 capable lines.  The 2005/6 team had 11 double digit goal scorers including Soupy of which 5 had 20-25 goals and Drury chipped in 30.  It’s very possible we see something similar next season.  In fact, assuming everyone stays healthy, it’s literally possible that all 12 forwards could score 10 or more with 5 guys (VO, Quinn, TNT, Tuch and Skins) pencilled in for at least 20.  Dahlin and Power could also add 10+ each.

That '05-'06 team also jettisoned Satan prior to the season.  

(They lost others they wanted to keep like Zhitnik, but the players had identified "the" problem and asked management to excise it.  Management obliged.  Timing's off, but another similarity from that era.)

• Like (+1) 1

MARK SCHEIFELE is a Kitchener boy.  R we on his 10 team no-trade list and would he want to come play closer to his home town?  A veteran centre would give our young pivotmen an additional year to develop

Afterall, we do have a #55 jersey hanging in the closet just collecting dust.

11 minutes ago, IvanPutski said:

MARK SCHEIFELE is a Kitchener boy.  R we on his 10 team no-trade list and would he want to come play closer to his home town?  A veteran centre would give our young pivotmen an additional year to develop

Afterall, we do have a #55 jersey hanging in the closet just collecting dust.

Sadly he's a headcase; his presser this year sounded like Eichel's last year

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

We could really use two guys like Lydman and Numminen for the next few seasons.

But until I can believe in the goaltending, I think our ceiling is limited.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.