2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

49 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't see one on there that I think KA will target.

Maybe a goalie, but man, I don't know.

I don’t expect KA to target any non-goalies on that list, but I would definitely like to add one of Copp, Marchment, Burkakovsky, or Neiderreiter to give us someone who can play anywhere in the middle 6. I don’t expect us to be injury free this year (or any year), and would like 14 guys I’m comfortable with playing 40+ games. Right now we have 12. I think one of those adds could be a 4C (better Eakin), but would like one guy who can play up in the lineup, especially if JJP or Quinn prove to need more seasoning in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 2

Calling my shot. One under the radar name I’m going to say the Sabres will show interest in is Ilya Mikheyev from the Leafs.

6’2, elite speed, scored 21 goals,  4 short handed. He was a big difference maker, especially on the PK. He is looking for more opportunity that the Leafs can’t offer and they can’t afford to sign him. He wouldn’t break the bank but he would impress. Can play up and down the lineup. Plays hard and would bring a Russian into the fold at the NHL level to help transition some of the Russian kids.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Calling my shot. One under the radar name I’m going to say the Sabres will show interest in is Ilya Mikheyev from the Leafs.

6’2, elite speed, scored 21 goals,  4 short handed. He was a big difference maker, especially on the PK. He is looking for more opportunity that the Leafs can’t offer and they can’t afford to sign him. He wouldn’t break the bank but he would impress. Can play up and down the lineup. Plays hard and would bring a Russian into the fold at the NHL level to help transition some of the Russian kids.

How much are you paying and where is he playing?  Honest questions.  What is your vision for him, who does he beat out for a job? 

Adding speed and goal scoring is always a positive.  However, I’m having trouble fitting someone like him or a re-signed Vinnie into our top 12 when Quinn and JJP make the team. Right now our top 8 wingers are Skinner, Tuch, VO, KO, Krebs, Asplund, Quinn and JJP.  Vinnie (if signed) and R2 and 9 & 10.  Where does a UFA fit in?  If this was last off-season, before the acquisitions of Krebs and Tuch, I’d be all over this idea like I was signing Vinnie.  Admittedly we need a strong 13th forward given our injury history. If Vinnie walks, he’d be the perfect replacement, but would he come here as the 13th forward? 

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How much are you paying and where is he playing?  Honest questions.  What is your vision for him, who does he beat out for a job? 

Adding speed and goal scoring is always a positive.  However, I’m having trouble fitting someone like him or a re-signed Vinnie into our top 12 when Quinn and JJP make the team. Right now our top 8 wingers are Skinner, Tuch, VO, KO, Krebs, Asplund, Quinn and JJP.  Vinnie (if signed) and R2 and 9 & 10.  Where does a UFA fit in?  If this was last off-season, before the acquisitions of Krebs and Tuch, I’d be all over this idea like I was signing Vinnie.  Admittedly we need a strong 13th forward given our injury history. If Vinnie walks, he’d be the perfect replacement, but would he come here as the 13th forward? 

Still thinking VO gets traded and that JJP starts year in AHL.  Use him as an injury call up, but team needs to add one more vet forward.

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He made $1.65 this year. I would offer him $2.75-3 on a 3 year deal. He is 27 years old. He is 6’3 and has an elite trait: skating. He can play wing anywhere in the bottom 9 and be an elite PK guy and with more opportunity can improve on 21 goals. He is better then Vinny. Him and Cozens would be demons with their size, skating and forecheck.

I wouldn’t hand JJP and Quinn jobs. Make them earn them. Guys will be injured too.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

He made $1.65 this year. I would offer him $2.75-3 on a 3 year deal. He is 27 years old. He is 6’3 and has an elite trait: skating. He can play wing anywhere in the bottom 9 and be an elite PK guy and with more opportunity can improve on 21 goals. He is better then Vinny. Him and Cozens would be demons with their size, skating and forecheck.

I wouldn’t hand JJP and Quinn jobs. Make them earn them. Guys will be injured too.

Sounds good.  Any time that we can rescue anyone out of The Great Satan I am in complete favour of getting them out, especially if they can help the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Sounds good.  Any time that we can rescue anyone out of The Great Satan I am in complete favour of getting them out, especially if they can help the Sabres.

I would rather sign Campbell and leave them hanging with Mrzak and his contract. Watching Dumbas squirm and give up assets to take Mrzak’s contract like he did with  Marleau, just to clear cap room, in order to find a goalie would make me happy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

I would rather sign Campbell and leave them hanging with Mrzak and his contract. Watching Dumbas squirm and give up assets to take Mrzak’s contract like he did with  Marleau, just to clear cap room, in order to find a goalie would make me happy.

I find it odd that Leaf fans seem to think they can let Campbell walk and upgrade their goaltending, despite their cap situation.

Not sure how they pay for (contract and acquisition cost) a better goalie without making their team worse.

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I find it odd that Leaf fans seem to think they can let Campbell walk and upgrade their goaltending, despite their cap situation.

Not sure how they pay for (contract and acquisition cost) a better goalie without making their team worse.

Yeah, they seem hesitant to give him what he deserves. It handcuffs them even more to fill out the rest of their lineup is probably the issue. I hope they pay dearly to get rid of Mrzak, or get stuck with him.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, they seem hesitant to give him what he deserves. It handcuffs them even more to fill out the rest of their lineup is probably the issue. I hope they pay dearly to get rid of Mrzak, or get stuck with him.

Yeah, I don't think Campbell is worth $5 million, but I do think the market is such that someone (us or New Jersey, most likely) will give him that.

Like us, Toronto is probably going to have to overpay to get a goalie in free agency. Unlike us, they can't afford to do that.

It will be interesting to see what Dubas comes up with.

I just hope we don't overpay too much on term.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We had 14 forwards play 40+ games this year. One of those players, or multiple, will likely miss large stretches of the season. I’d rather we have Someone who belongs in a middle 6 to play in that case, than Bjork. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

We had 14 forwards play 40+ games this year. One of those players, or multiple, will likely miss large stretches of the season. I’d rather we have Someone who belongs in a middle 6 to play in that case, than Bjork. 

And… so what.  That list includes 2 players acquired mid season who pushed crap players out of the lineup.  Only Mitts missed half the season with an injury.  Z missed 1/3.  Remember I’ve been an advocate for bringing back Vinnie.

People keep saying send JJP back to start and make him and Quinn earn NHL jobs.  That’s great to say, but they are making this team next fall unless they fall flat on their faces in camp.  Considering JJP almost made the team last fall out of camp, I sincerely doubt he won’t make the team this camp.  Guys as young as Quinn and JJP who dominate in the A almost never return to the A.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Fleury would be an excellent signing in my opinion. He has always been loved by his teammates and a true pro. I think he has some game left and would be the #1 until one of the young guns is ready. He would fit KA’s character requirements, if he wants to be in Buffalo.

He will have to be sold on the Sabres plans and continued development. He and his family have moved around a lot the last few years so he would want some term and NTC.

Maybe KA convinces him and Letang to come as a pair.

Sabres have cap space.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Digger said:

I'd love to see Fleury on the team for 1 or 2 years.

Kadri and Ristolainen together on the same team?  Fun locker room brawl.

I'm cool with giving him 3 years if he wants it, by that time Levi or Portillo should have stepped up and he can back up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm cool with giving him 3 years if he wants it, by that time Levi or Portillo should have stepped up and he can back up.

We are gonna need the cap space in 24-25. Fleury and his bloated contract for 2 years is quite enough. By that time one of our prospects SHOULD step into at the least, a 1a, 1b role. If not a definitive starter.

18 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I think that salary is a definite low ball.  He is in line for a $4-5M contract with 4+ Years of term.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.