2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

When you regularly have 4000-6000 lifeless fans in your building you don't need to be clever as much as you need to exhibit some urgency and seriousness of purpose. When you have such an abundance of cap space few people would want to see it unwisely squandered. Just give the fans some hope by making some judicious moves to accelerate the rebuild. If he can't come away in this offseason with a credible starting goalie (as you noted) then he should pass the torch to someone else. Overall, I like what the GM has done during his short tenure. How he has handled the goaltending position has bothered me a lot. 

Lifeless?  The building was louder most nights than it's been in years and w/ a fraction of the crowd as you point out.

And not sure what you mean by "unwisely" squander his cap space?  That happened this past season.  Are you referring to that or suggesting that it's been suggested that should happen this year?  Agree w/ the former but disagree w/ the latter.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Lifeless?  The building was louder most nights than it's been in years and w/ a fraction of the crowd as you point out.

And not sure what you mean by "unwisely" squander his cap space?  That happened this past season.  Are you referring to that or suggesting that it's been suggested that should happen this year?  Agree w/ the former but disagree w/ the latter.

On many nights there were 4000-6000 people in the building. That means that approximately 2/3 of the seats were empty. That's a frighteningly low figure. When one watched the team playing road games with mostly full or nearly full venues in comparison to our home games the contrast was stark, and it was sad. 

The discussion about the cap space isn't simply about how high a portion of it was used last year or to be used this year. There was no excuse to have such a void in net when we had the wherewithal  to address the issue in an acceptable albeit short-term manner. With respect to how much of the cap should be used this offseason, I simply don't care how much or little they use. That isn't the real issue. Considering what our cap situation is there is no excuse not to address the goalie position in a reasonable manner.  

I, and even you, often hark on the goalie issue. Addressing that issue isn't going to solve all the issues revolving around this evolving roster. But it is clear that it is the most important issue that will impact the performance of this team. 

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

On many nights there were 4000-6000 people in the building. That means that approximately 2/3 of the seats were empty. That's a frighteningly low figure. When one watched the team playing road games with mostly full or nearly full venues in comparison to our home games the contrast was stark, and it was sad. 

The discussion about the cap space isn't simply about how high a portion of it was used last year or to be used this year. There was no excuse to have such a void in net when we had the wherewithal  to address the issue in an acceptable albeit short-term manner. With respect to how much of the cap should be used this offseason, I simply don't care how much or little they use. That isn't the real issue. Considering what our cap situation is there is no excuse not to address the goalie position in a reasonable manner.  

I, and even you, often hark on the goalie issue. Addressing that issue isn't going to solve all the issues revolving around this evolving roster. But it is clear that it is the most important issue that will impact the performance of this team. 

Obviously, the crowd was small on almost all nights.  There was no disputing that.  The item that was commented upon was whether those that were interested enough to attend were "lifeless."  IMHO, that was an unfair characterization.

And still not sure what your original comment about squandering cap space meant.  It appears based on what just wrote above that you didn't mean anything by it.  Which is fine.  

And didn't comment on your GTing comments because we are pretty much on the same page & it has been discussed close to death.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Obviously, the crowd was small on almost all nights.  There was no disputing that.  The item that was commented upon was whether those that were interested enough to attend were "lifeless."  IMHO, that was an unfair characterization.

And still not sure what your original comment about squandering cap space meant.  It appears based on what just wrote above that you didn't mean anything by it.  Which is fine.  

And didn't comment on your GTing comments because we are pretty much on the same page & it has been discussed close to death.

Let me address the highlighted section and clarify what I have been clumsily trying to say. The Sabres are entering this offseason with a large amount of cap space. What I am not arguing for is to irresponsibly spend a lot of money just to demonstrate that you are doing something. That wouldn't be a prudent course. What I am saying is that given what our favorable cap situation is there is no excuse not to make some judicious expenditures/moves this offseason to address some critical issues, such as the goalie position and maybe add another solid defenseman. I hope this clarifies my position. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Chad DeDominics reported on the most recent Expected Buffalo Podcast that the Sabres are reportedly interested in Jack Campbell and adding to what Tom Webster mentioned  PK Subban as well 

I’d be quite happy with a Campbell add, preferably 3 years or less. If we did sign Campbell, I’d also like them to go after someone in the neighborhood of Desmith to solidify the backup position as well.

Another option could be trading for one of the Caps goaltenders to back up Campbell.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Chad DeDominics reported on the most recent Expected Buffalo Podcast that the Sabres are reportedly interested in Jack Campbell and adding to what Tom Webster mentioned  PK Subban as well 

Interesting.  PK is an RHD UFA who just turned 33.  His production has been in decline for the last 4 years, and his ice time dropped last year below 22 min per game for the 1st time in his career -- all the way to 18 min per game, 5th among Dmen on a crappy Devils team.

Overall, my impression of him is that he's close to out of gas.  In terms of team spirit, I haven't had the impression that he's had problems with his teammates or coaches.

I can see KA giving him a one- or two-year deal that could represent good value if he still has something in the tank.  It seems unlikely that anyone will give him a rich contract.

34 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  PK is an RHD UFA who just turned 33.  His production has been in decline for the last 4 years, and his ice time dropped last year below 22 min per game for the 1st time in his career -- all the way to 18 min per game, 5th on a crappy Devils team.

Overall, my impression of him is that he's close to out of gas.  In terms of team spirit, I haven't had the impression that he's had problems with his teammates or coaches.

I can see KA giving him a one- or two-year deal that could represent good value if he still has something in the tank.  It seems unlikely that anyone will give him a rich contract.

His Metrics improved with decreased ice time, He would be a very good 4/5 Defenseman. 

Evolving Wild has Him at 3 years 4 Million AAV 

42 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  PK is an RHD UFA who just turned 33.  His production has been in decline for the last 4 years, and his ice time dropped last year below 22 min per game for the 1st time in his career -- all the way to 18 min per game, 5th on a crappy Devils team.

Somewhere on this site in the past month, I pitched a scenario where PK could become this team’s James Patrick or Teppo Numminen, if his mind and his feet are in the right places.

This, to me, is well worth exploring under that scenario.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Somewhere on this site in the past month, I pitched a scenario where PK could become this team’s James Patrick or Teppo Numminen, if his mind and his feet are in the right places.

As long as his skating holds up this could be plausible.  Teppo and Patrick did it on the strength of amazing skating not really diminishing and veteran smarts.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That sounds good indeed.  I'm hesitant though because PK looks older, heavier and slower, to me anyway, than late-career Teppo and Patrick did. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  PK is an RHD UFA who just turned 33.  His production has been in decline for the last 4 years, and his ice time dropped last year below 22 min per game for the 1st time in his career -- all the way to 18 min per game, 5th among Dmen on a crappy Devils team.

Yeah, being used as a #1 defenseman, his play had been deteriorating for a few years, then last season the Devils finally gave up on the idea of using him as a #1 and he was a lot better.  I don’t think he is out of gas’s, but he’s definitely not a first pair guy anymore.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, being used as a #1 defenseman, his play had been deteriorating for a few years, then last season the Devils finally gave up on the idea of using him as a #1 and he was a lot better.  I don’t think he is out of gas’s, but he’s definitely not a first pair guy anymore.

What you just stated about PK coincides with Marty Biron said on the Instigator Show yesterday about the player and how he would fit in with the Sabres. He also noted that his contract should be reasonable because it would reflect his drop in status as a player. He felt that it would be a good situation for the player and for the Sabres. 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I hope this is real. But it sounds like someone has been reading Sabrespace. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The only drawback to that scenario (minus the possibility that his heart might just not be in it, which my expectation is he wouldn't sign if it wasn't) is expect at this point he's more of a 3rd pairing guy than a 2nd pairing guy & if the Sabres see it the same way then we end up w/ Jokiharju paired w/ Power rather than the wily vet.

The Joker may grow into a 2nd pairing guy & he was OK w/ Power, but they should be striving to get him a guy that can truly cover for his inevitable rookie mistakes not a guy that Power will have to be covering for.

Now, if Subban can bring it like Patrick & Teppo did early in their Buffalo tenures, then PK is Power's partner & Bryson can hold down the role of Joker's partner until an upgrade comes along (Johnson, Pilut, trade, other, ???).

Actually like the idea of PK better than Campbell in the net (who would be an upgrade, & w/ only looking ST w/ him it wouldn't be awful to land him.  Just hoping for better.  And this beggar will be a chooser, common adages be darned.  😉 )

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/ufa/

The goalie UFA market, I would expect huge overpayments for MAF, DK and Holtby , even Halak might get a decent number.

There are 10 + teams looking for a goalie, its far from a buyers market.

The RFA market isn't much better.

Vanecek or Samsonov for our 28th pick.   Maybe the flyers take up their old habit in dumping a young goalie after a down season with Carter Hart.

My realistic goalie tandem would be DeSmith and Comrie; both are relatively young and have alright stats.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/ufa/

The goalie UFA market, I would expect huge overpayments for MAF, DK and Holtby , even Halak might get a decent number.

There are 10 + teams looking for a goalie, its far from a buyers market.

The RFA market isn't much better.

Vanecek or Samsonov for our 28th pick.   Maybe the flyers take up their old habit in dumping a young goalie after a down season with Carter Hart.

Not trading a 1st for another goalie. Also I think Philly likely broke Carter Hart; his confidence was shattered. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

My realistic goalie tandem would be DeSmith and Comrie; both are relatively young and have alright stats.

Not trading a 1st for another goalie. Also I think Philly likely broke Carter Hart; his confidence was shattered. 

So he is cheap ? 😛

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Noooooooo!  I want a D who can actually play D

Getting PK doesn't mean that you still can't add a defensive defenseman. The Sabres have enough cap space to address a variety of positions and still be in the vicinity of the cap floor.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.