The Rasmus Dahlin Goal v. Dallas

LGR4GM

On 1/21/2022 at 3:35 PM, erickompositör72 said:

Show me clips of your ideal defenseman at age 21.

He was scouted at 12.  Signed at 14 to play Jr A hockey.  NHL rookie at 18. 

In threes years, by age of 21, he had won a Calder and two Norris trophies.  The next season he won another Norris, a Ross, a Hart, a Stanley Cup, and a Conn Smythe. 

There will probably never be another player like him   Only knee injuries slowed him down  

Note:   Not even comparing Dahlin to Orr.  That would not be fair   Just answering your question.   In today’s NHL there are no ideal defenseman at 21.  I remember people complaining about Orr’s defensive play because he “roamed” all over the ice, so even in his era there were critics  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

He was serviceable defensively, a career plus player.

Dahlin is already a career -66 after 3 and a half seasons.

And Eichel is under a plus minus iceberg he might never climb up from. And Cozens plus minus is already headed in an ugly direction. We don’t just happen to keep drafting bad players up high, we just don’t support them with good acquired skaters and goalies, from later in the draft or other means 

ROR was a minus 22 his last year in buffalo and a plus 23 the next year in STL lol. He was the exact same human. 

Edited by Thorny

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He was scouted at 12.  Signed at 14 to play Jr A hockey.  NHL rookie at 18. 

In threes years, by age of 21, he had won a Calder and two Norris trophies.  The next season he won another Norris, a Ross, a Hart, a Stanley Cup, and a Conn Smythe. 

There will probably never be another player like him   Only knee injuries slowed him down  

Note:   Not even comparing Dahlin to Orr.  That would not be fair   Just answering your question.   In today’s NHL there are no ideal defenseman at 21.  I remember people complaining about Orrs defensive play because he “roamed” all over the ice, so even in his era there were critics  

And was why he'd get paired w/ Dallas Smith.  With Smith back there, Orr didn't need to be overly defensively responsible.  He could just do his thing & the backside was covered.

And why so many of us would like to see Dahlin w/ a defensively responsible partner.  Let him concentrate on what he does well & w/ a solid partner, as long as he isn't Karlsson in his own end it'll work.

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

And Eichel is under a plus minus iceberg he might never climb up from. And Cozens plus minus is already headed in an ugly direction. We don’t just happen to keep drafting bad players up high, we just don’t support them with good acquired skaters and goalies, from later in the draft or other means 

ROR was a minus 22 his last year in buffalo and a plus 23 the next year in STL lol. He was the exact same human. 

Well, not EXACTLY the same.  He was no long sad pouty face Ryan.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’d like to hear some people eat deserved crow on this one. No one on this board where it’s been reasonable.

Twitter. 

There's no crow to be eaten. You didn't eat any when November started with the Sabres off to a roaring start and ended with them virtually out of it and with a rip roaring Should Dahlin Go Away, Far Away? thread.

I'll weigh November 10 times more than January.

Edited by PASabreFan

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There's no crow to be eaten. You didn't eat any when November started with the Sabres off to a roaring start and ended with them virtually out of it and with a rip roaring Should Dahlin Go Away, Far Away? thread.

I'll weigh November 10 times more than January.

And apparently you’ll weigh a half-dozen games more than the other 35.

Spinning this into a “Dahlin didn’t start to play good until the season was out of reach” is weak. 

Turning a string of losses largely due to a stretch of some of the worst goaltending we’ve seen in a decade into somehow being Dahlin’s fault is weak.

Conflating a handful of embarrassing gaffs and a bunch of knee-jerk hysterical posts to a fair, cogent take on his overall performance to start the year is weak.

For the record, Dahlin was -3 with 10 points in 14 November games.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Food for thought 

On Wednesday’s Jeff Marek Show, Friedman and Marek where talking about the package it would take for the Panthers to acquire Jakob Chychrun from Arizona. 

Marek mentioned Spencer Knight, Anton Lundell and a First as a return. Friedman agreed that this is the type of return it would take to acquire Him. 

Would you do this trade for Dahlin?

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Food for thought 

On Wednesday’s Jeff Marek Show, Friedman and Marek where talking about the package it would take for the Panthers to acquire Jakob Chychrun from Arizona. 

Marek mentioned Spencer Knight, Anton Lundell and a First as a return. Friedman agreed that this is the type of return it would take to acquire Him. 

It's just the ask for Chychrun.  I would think there's zero chance that Florida offers up that much or that Arizona could get that big of a haul from any team.  I find it surprising that he's on the market but I suppose if they are fishing for a home-run it's not a bad idea to see what's out there. 

No I don't want to trade Dahlin at this point regardless.  I want to see another season to see where we are at with him.  I doubt that his value goes down and it will most likely go up.  Let's see where we are at next year's trade deadline or off season before giving up on him.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Food for thought 

No

And that’s pretty similar to the price for Jack Eichel. I like Jeff Chychrun, but he’s no Jack Eichel.

If Arizona gets that, wow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.