Private Equity Firms are now allowed to buy into NHL Teams

Brawndo

From Friedman 32 Thoughts. 

He also discussed it on the After The Whistle Podcast Today 

25. It didn’t get a lot of attention at the Board of Governors’ meeting, but the most influential move made there was the NHL agreeing to allow private equity funds to buy into NHL teams. Commissioner Gary Bettman was tight-lipped regarding details, as it's more about the realities of COVID’s effect on the business than something he had incredible enthusiasm for. Front Office Sports reported this week that teams can sell up to 30 per cent of their ownership to such firms; and these firms can own parts of up to five teams -- maximum 20 per cent in any team, with a minimum $20M (US) investment in each one. The first such investor, Arctos Sports Partners, bought into both Minnesota and Tampa Bay. This development is going to strengthen current ownership groups that wish to use them.

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Does any other major pro sport allow this? And if so, how are those partnerships holding up?

Major?  Not really.  IIRC, at the beginning of MLS, all teams were owned by the league--presenting a similar competitive conflict of interest--and that league has grown fine.

But to do this retroactively seems like a recipe for disaster.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Ugh.  Nothing good comes from Private Equity ownership.  

50 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Nothing good comes from these groups buying things. <shudder> I just had a vision of Terry selling 20% of the Sabres to these vultures.

Bank on it.

• Like (+1) 1

This is just asking for trouble.  I think the owners took a huge bath in red ink last season and this is part of the plan to stem the tide.

I am thinking about these people leveraging interest in one team, probably a smaller market, to trade a $1 player to a big market team they have equity in for 2 quarters, 3 dimes, and whatever is behind door #2.

Imagine this scenario: firm A has a stake in teams 1, 2, and 3 while firm B has the same stake in teams 1, 2, and 4.  Team 1 is out of the playoff hunt, but has a highly coveted UFA2B.  Team 2 could use him, but will not trade for him if the price is too high.  Teams 3 and 4 are contenders and both want UFA2B from team 1.  Can you imagine the potential behind-the-scenes shenanigans that could happen if a bidding war broke out?  And to avoid adverse fallout, team 1 might need to turn down good offers from teams 3 and 4 to take a meh offer from team 2 just to keep these investors happy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

US sports leagues, including the NHL, that allow private equity minority owners have rules that require the minority stake be passively owned.  No day-to-day control of the team, and certainly no influence on personnel movement.

https://www.ft.com/content/252d8eb0-9478-41c3-a521-8c4c9b34c179

US pro sports league rules generally require that institutional stakes in clubs be passively owned, with caps on both individual fund and overall fund holdings for each club.

So, none of this:

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

This is not a good development. Might take meddling to entirely new levels. 

31 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

This is just asking for trouble.  I think the owners took a huge bath in red ink last season and this is part of the plan to stem the tide.

I am thinking about these people leveraging interest in one team, probably a smaller market, to trade a $1 player to a big market team they have equity in for 2 quarters, 3 dimes, and whatever is behind door #2.

Imagine this scenario:...

===

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Does any other major pro sport allow this? And if so, how are those partnerships holding up?

Yes.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Major?  Not really. 

No.

The National Football League is now the only major male US professional sports competition without provisions for institutional ownership. Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association and Major League Soccer all have amended their ownership rules since the spring of 2019.

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m sorry, and I don’t want to offend anyone but a lot of you are putting too much stock in the notion that on ice performance plays a large role in the value of a franchise. Private equity guys aren’t going to give a rats ass about a franchises place in the standings.

Place in the standings, no.  But looking to maximize the value and cash coming back from their investment, absolutely.  

And if a group that owns a share of 2 or 5 teams can get a better return if the stud player on one of their rosters were on a different one, they'll be pushing for that.  Hopefully the majority owner won't go along w/ it, but especially if the majority owner has immediate issues, that owner might be willing to sign off on the move that helps in the ST but kills in the LT.

Don't have a good example, and maybe it's simply worry/distrust of the new for no particularly valid reason, but just keep seeing "Coyotes hosed again" as a nearly inevitable outcome of this.  Who else?  And, really don't see how further imbalancing the competitive landscape being a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

US sports leagues, including the NHL, that allow private equity minority owners have rules that require the minority stake be passively owned.  No day-to-day control of the team, and certainly no influence on personnel movement.

https://www.ft.com/content/252d8eb0-9478-41c3-a521-8c4c9b34c179

So, none of this:

===

Yes.

No.

I can't access the FT article, but private equity groups aren't the same as traditional minority owners.  And I don't know of another major league that allows any minority ownership of two teams in the same league--I could be wrong.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Place in the standings, no.  But looking to maximize the value and cash coming back from their investment, absolutely.  

And if a group that owns a share of 2 or 5 teams can get a better return if the stud player on one of their rosters were on a different one, they'll be pushing for that.  Hopefully the majority owner won't go along w/ it, but especially if the majority owner has immediate issues, that owner might be willing to sign off on the move that helps in the ST but kills in the LT.

Don't have a good example, and maybe it's simply worry/distrust of the new for no particularly valid reason, but just keep seeing "Coyotes hosed again" as a nearly inevitable outcome of this.  Who else?  And, really don't see how further imbalancing the competitive landscape being a good thing.

I understand what you are saying but with even franchises like Buffalo expected to approach $1B, there just isn’t enough incentive to quibble over whether team A or B has Connor McDavid. You’d be talking about increasing value by less then 1 percent.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I can't access the FT article, but private equity groups aren't the same as traditional minority owners.  And I don't know of another major league that allows any minority ownership of two teams in the same league--I could be wrong.

One could argue that billion dollar corporations that sponsor multiple franchises could have as much influence as any private equity investment.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I understand what you are saying but with even franchises like Buffalo expected to approach $1B, there just isn’t enough incentive to quibble over whether team A or B has Connor McDavid. You’d be talking about increasing value by less then 1 percent.

One could argue that billion dollar corporations that sponsor multiple franchises could have as much influence as any private equity investment.

Absolutely.  I think that's one good reason why M&T can't sponsor the Bills' stadium; it already has the Ravens' stadium.  It is tied to both through sponsorships (albeit it seems much more tied to the Ravens).

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Fair enough.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mls-private-equity-rules-500m-050137968.html

Some of the MLS rules are similar to ones the NBA put in place last year. Like in MLS, a fund can buy up to 20% of an NBA team, and teams can sell up to 30% total. Funds can own up to five NBA teams, unlike four in MLS.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/mlb-ownership-rule-change-private-equity

In a bid to gain access to new sources of equity investment, MLB changed its bylaws earlier this year to allow investment funds to acquire minority stakes in multiple teams.

59 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m sorry, and I don’t want to offend anyone but a lot of you are putting too much stock in the notion that on ice performance plays a large role in the value of a franchise. Private equity guys aren’t going to give a rats ass about a franchises place in the standings.

My biggest concern when I read about this was not player related shenanigans.  Could private equity groups influence whether a team stays or leaves a particular city?  Or is it strictly dollars and cents to them?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

My biggest concern when I read about this was not player related shenanigans.  Could private equity groups influence whether a team stays or leaves a particular city?  Or is it strictly dollars and cents to them?

It’s dollars and cents to them.  You’ll get fantastic operational efficiencies like video scouting.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Absolutely.  I think that's one good reason why M&T can't sponsor the Bills' stadium; it already has the Ravens' stadium.  It is tied to both through sponsorships (albeit it seems much more tied to the Ravens).

Mercedes sponsored both New Orleans and Atlanta until New Orleans changed this year or last.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.