GDT:Rangers 12/10/21 7PM start

Claude Balls

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Is Dahlin this bad, or are people overreacting after a loss? 

Go in numerous previous games on this forum and it's the same bs game in and game out. Either he coughs up a puck that ends up in the back of the net, stands around while pucks are going in the back of the net, a goal called back because he doesn't even know when he's offsides, I mean how can anyone have an excuse for him anymore? The guy has been our top defensemen since what... 2018? And he regresses what seems like every year on either side of the puck.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not giving up on Dahlin improving and developing. For me, it’s not a definitive forgone conclusion he will be this “bad” or “inconsistent” for ever and ever and ever. If he’s 26-27 and is still “bad” … then yea, ok. He’s not gonna improve. But hey, that’s how I see it going forward. 

• Like (+1) 4

Dahlin has the talent…you see flashes of it. He’s just very weak at the mental side of the game. That said, he is 21 years old. There’s still time for him to realize that potential…and it is vast. Doesn’t make it any less frustrating…I find myself focusing on his faults, too; just have to remind myself that there’s probably a pretty damn good player in there…just have to get his head screwed on right.

3 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Damn.

I was wondering when they didn't even challenge the goal but it came from Toronto automatically. Why?

That sucks, the boys deserved it.   

Apparently TO reviews all goals in the last minute of regulation.  (Kind of like no coaches challenges in the NFL after the 2 minute warning.)

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

Damn.

I was wondering when they didn't even challenge the goal but it came from Toronto automatically. Why?

That sucks, the boys deserved it.   

I didn't know Toronto was automatically reviewing offsides this season, I thought it was still only by coaches challenge.

Just now, HumanSlinky39 said:

Dahlin has the talent…you see flashes of it. He’s just very weak at the mental side of the game. That said, he is 21 years old. There’s still time for him to realize that potential…and it is vast. Doesn’t make it any less frustrating…I find myself focusing on his faults, too; just have to remind myself that there’s probably a pretty damn good player in there…just have to get his head screwed on right.

I want to believe this but you can't just keep blaming mental errors on his age. He's been our top defensemen since 2018, at what point do we start saying he's super talented but he makes too many mistakes to compensate for his talent? I want to believe it's just because he's young but I don't see toughness, i don't see him getting the puck and clearing it with ease in our own zone, I've seen him numerous times just this season on the power play either give up a puck that goes back the other way. 

11 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’m not giving up on Dahlin improving and developing. For me, it’s not a definitive forgone conclusion he will be this “bad” or “inconsistent” for ever and ever and ever. If he’s 26-27 and is still “bad” … then yea, ok. He’s not gonna improve. But hey, that’s how I see it going forward. 

Well then we better have Hasek 2.0 in net or just a super defensive defensmen playing alongside him because if we're going to give Dahlin 5-6 more seasons of playing this way then it's going to be brutal. I truly hope I'm wrong and everybody else is right but to me he looks far from special and I'd figure I'd see something that shows me otherwise by now.

According to the rule. The call was correct. Once the puck went over the line, it was a delayed offside, but the Sabres tried to regain possession of the puck which forced the offside even though he didn’t touch it. (note the rulebook uses the singular version of offside)

Delayed Off-side – A situation where an attacking player (or players) has preceded the puck across the attacking blue line, but the defending team is in a position to bring the puck back out of its defending zone without any delay or contact with an attacking player, or, the attacking players are in the process of clearing the attacking zone.
If an off-side call is delayed, the Linesman shall drop his arm to nullify the off-side violation and allow play to continue if:
 NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
OFFICIAL RULES 2018-2019

SECTION 10 – GAME FLOW
       (i) All players of the offending team clear the zone at the same instant (skate contact with the blue line) permitting the attacking players to re-enter the attacking zone, or
(ii) The defending team passes or carries the puck into the neutral zone.
If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation.
If, during a delayed off-side, an attacking player in the attacking zone elects to proceed to his players’ bench (which extends into the attacking zone) to be replaced by a teammate, he shall be considered to have cleared the zone provided he is completely off the ice and his replacement comes onto the ice in the neutral zone. If his replacement comes onto the ice in the attacking zone, if the delayed off-side is still in effect, he too must clear the attacking zone. If the remaining attacking players have cleared the attacking zone and the Linesman has lowered his arm for the delayed off-side, he shall be considered on-side.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

According to the rule. The call was correct. Once the puck went over the line, it was a delayed offside, but the Sabres tried to regain possession of the puck which forced the offside even though he didn’t touch it. (note the rulebook uses the singular version of offside)

Delayed Off-side – A situation where an attacking player (or players) has preceded the puck across the attacking blue line, but the defending team is in a position to bring the puck back out of its defending zone without any delay or contact with an attacking player, or, the attacking players are in the process of clearing the attacking zone.
If an off-side call is delayed, the Linesman shall drop his arm to nullify the off-side violation and allow play to continue if:
 NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
OFFICIAL RULES 2018-2019

SECTION 10 – GAME FLOW
       (i) All players of the offending team clear the zone at the same instant (skate contact with the blue line) permitting the attacking players to re-enter the attacking zone, or
(ii) The defending team passes or carries the puck into the neutral zone.
If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation.
If, during a delayed off-side, an attacking player in the attacking zone elects to proceed to his players’ bench (which extends into the attacking zone) to be replaced by a teammate, he shall be considered to have cleared the zone provided he is completely off the ice and his replacement comes onto the ice in the neutral zone. If his replacement comes onto the ice in the attacking zone, if the delayed off-side is still in effect, he too must clear the attacking zone. If the remaining attacking players have cleared the attacking zone and the Linesman has lowered his arm for the delayed off-side, he shall be considered on-side.

Would that not be based on what the linesman deems then? It sounds very gray area-ish.

Clearly the league loves to crack down on the rules by the book when Buffalo gets hurt by it but when do we ever get the benefit of the league?

14 minutes ago, skaught said:

I didn't know Toronto was automatically reviewing offsides this season, I thought it was still only by coaches challenge.

One of the coaches on the Rangers bench it could have been the head coach ( I don’t even know who coaches that team ) made the call. They showed them watching on the monitor at the bench and they were actually smiling likely cause they knew it would come back. At that time there was a brief exchange with one of the refs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Would that not be based on what the linesman deems then? It sounds very gray area-ish.

Clearly the league loves to crack down on the rules by the book when Buffalo gets hurt by it but when do we ever get the benefit of the league?

When you have replay, it doesn’t matter what the linesman has done.

Given that the puck went into the zone after Dahlin was already in there, you are forced to go to the delayed offside portion of the rulebook, because he has to tag up somehow.

However, nothing about this scenario resembles the scenario listed under delayed offside. The defense wasn’t about to pick up the park. We were still trying to get control. I think it’s a good call.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/disallowed-sabres-goal-wasnt-offside.2859631/page-2

A bit of ways down Valet has a Blackhawks goal with the same circumstances that was ruled a good goal.

Just now, SDS said:

When you have replay, it doesn’t matter what the linesman has done.

Given that the puck went into the zone after Dahlin was already in there, you are forced to go to the delayed offside portion of the rulebook, because he has to tag up somehow.

However, nothing about this scenario resembles the scenario listed under delayed offside. The defense wasn’t about to pick up the park. We were still trying to get control. I think it’s a good call.

Check that video I just pointed out

Is no one else pissed off that when Cozens was shoved down after the whistle (not the slew foot, the previous whistle)not a single Sabre did a thing? Not a shove, not a rough, not even a stern word. Nothing. Just let the kid get hit. Absolutely disgusting for team building. 

Small wonder Cozens gets pissed at the slew foot and slashes back. Only guy on this team with heart.

Dylan Cozens deserves to be on a better team! 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I want to believe this but you can't just keep blaming mental errors on his age. He's been our top defensemen since 2018, at what point do we start saying he's super talented but he makes too many mistakes to compensate for his talent? I want to believe it's just because he's young but I don't see toughness, i don't see him getting the puck and clearing it with ease in our own zone, I've seen him numerous times just this season on the power play either give up a puck that goes back the other way. 

Fair points. But look at the teams he’s played on. He’s played on nothing but awful teams. He’s a quarter of the way through his fourth year and is already on his third coach. He’s never had anything really resembling a mentor and went straight from Sweden to 21 minutes a game in the NHL. The Sabres haven’t exactly put him in much of a position to succeed. 

Now, it’s entirely possible he’s just not cut out mentally for the NHL. Wouldn’t be the first #1 overall pick to prove to be that. However, my HOPE is that something can re-wire that brain of his and he can put it together. If he was 24 or 25, I’d say he is what he is. But he’s barely legal to buy a beer right now. When I was 21, I was a bonehead. My hope is that at some point in the near future, something “clicks” and he becomes the player he was supposed to be. Hell, I’d take 75% of that right now.

I don’t know, I’m rambling and maybe just looking for a reason not to push my Dahlin 50th Anniversary jersey into the far depths of the closet. 

Edited by HumanSlinky39

Just now, HumanSlinky39 said:

Fair point. But look at the teams he’s played on. He’s played on nothing but awful teams. He’s a quarter of the way through his fourth year and is already on his third coach. He’s never had anything really resembling a mentor and went straight from Sweden to 21 minutes a game in the NHL. The Sabres haven’t exactly put him in much of a position to exceed. 

Now, it’s entirely possible he’s just not cut out mentally for the NHL. Wouldn’t be the first #1 overall pick to prove to be that. However, my HOPE is that something can re-wire that brain of his and he can put it together. If he was 24 or 25, I’d say he is what he is. But he’s barely legal to buy a beer right now. When I was 21, I was a bonehead. My hope is that at some point in the near future, something “clicks” and he becomes the player he was supposed to be. Hell, I’d take 75% of that right now.

He was touted as a generational type of talent which is why he went #1 overall, yes he's played on awful teams but it would be 1 thing if the players he was playing with were making the awful plays and he had to compensate but it's actually the other way around. I get the age thing but I just don't get the age thing in this circumstance. He hasn't looked even remotely close to a generational talent let alone the 1st overall pick, these are just my opinions but i hope I eat crow in a few years and he is the next Victor Hedman, I'd be the first 1 to say i was so glad I was wrong trust me.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.