2022 World Junior Championship-Dec 26 to Jan 5 in Edmonton and Red Deer, Alberta.

Norcal

44 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m glad to see the Sabres fanbase isn’t making the same mistakes with Power as they did with Dahlin by creating unrealistic expectations.  🙄

After following the Sabres through a desert of malaise the last few years, I'll latch onto any positive development, even if it bleeds into overreaction. Will Owen Power translate to the NHL? I have no idea. All I do know is that he's in our pipeline and that fills me with hope.  Right now, hope is all I've got, even if it's that of a fool.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

oh don't worry,the haters will hate him. He isn't terribly physical so they can hang their hat on that to try and run him out of town 

I’ve been trying but it’s not really gaining traction.  Maybe I should change the narrative.  I mean he balked at becoming a Sabre to get “the full college hockey experience”.  Sounds mentally fragile to me.  Now on to planting the seed within Sabrespace. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh he is? My bad, think they can still slide his contract 1 year though if he stays below 10 games. You're the Winnipeg expert though so I defer to you. 

Ik and I'm sad... unless that makes him slide in the draft to our 2nd round pick. 

He's not ready for the NHL

The thing about Power is that he makes it look so easy.     It doesn't look like he's really trying that hard, the puck just finds him and he always seems to make the right play.    

There was one pass he had that really stood out to me.    He was back pedalling at his own blueline on a regroup and he fires a cross ice laser of a pass right onto the tape of a player existing the offensive zone who quiclky turns back up ice and creates a scoring chance.    It's those little plays that you typically only see from seasoned NHL veterans that are routine for him, which as someone who played is more exciting than watching him score 3 goals.    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The thing about Power is that he makes it look so easy.     It doesn't look like he's really trying that hard, the puck just finds him and he always seems to make the right play.    

There was one pass he had that really stood out to me.    He was back pedalling at his own blueline on a regroup and he fires a cross ice laser of a pass right onto the tape of a player existing the offensive zone who quiclky turns back up ice and creates a scoring chance.    It's those little plays that you typically only see from seasoned NHL veterans that are routine for him, which as someone who played is more exciting than watching him score 3 goals.    

I agree. His goals are fun but that's what I want to see. 

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What does the D stand for?

Defenseman 

Owen Defenseman Power, who knew his name would be prophetic. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Watching him at the World Championships, Michigan and at the WJCs the thing that stands out to me is his ability to use his body to shield the puck, twist and turn his body to avoid checkers and chip a pass out of danger or rifle a pass on the tape to an open man. Then in the offensive zone he either plays rover or runs the pp from the point.

He won’t be a shutdown standout physically but he uses his reach and body position to be effective while being an impact player at the offensive end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Watching him at the World Championships, Michigan and at the WJCs the thing that stands out to me is his ability to use his body to shield the puck, twist and turn his body to avoid checkers and chip a pass out of danger or rifle a pass on the tape to an open man. Then in the offensive zone he either plays rover or runs the pp from the point.

He won’t be a shutdown standout physically but he uses his reach and body position to be effective while being an impact player at the offensive end.

Good take.

He is smart and may adapt to the NHL when he gets there to be more physical and add some defensive skills to his arsenal to be that all round guy.

Power's offensive skills are better than I expected after seeing him last year in the world championship. He's obviously worked on that and at this level he excels. Drives towards the net well and shoots accurately and quickly.

He did, however, look like he was practicing to be a Sabre on the one Czech goal where he ended up turned around and watching the puck go into the net. This reminded me of Dahlin as a Sabre. Yes, the goal wasn't his fault in that he was hung out to dry, but he also didn't take away the pass and just looked a little lost there. 

He has tremendous potential but I just really really hope this time we bring him along slowly and work on his size and defensive game and then we can turn him into a proper D man. If we just throw him out there and say go score some goals it'll be deja vu all over again. 

The guy that really impressed me in that game was Mason McTavish. Damn Ducks have either been really lucky or they have one hell of a scouting team cause they seem to be getting a lot of picks right and have a bright future. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Norcal said:

Yeah wth. Nobody tells ODP what to do.

6 hours ago, Norcal said:

I donno I'm assuming his middle name. The Michigan announcers call him that, as well as Big Poppa. 

Nothing has been more clear in my life.  It’s Owen Dick Power.  My questions have been answered.  (I’m mean he’s 6’6”, gotta be some BDE happening here)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.