Should the Sabres go after Patrick Kane?

sabrefanday1

Just because his mommy squeezed him out on Buffalo grounds isn’t a good reason to get a player. It never is, and never will be. I couldn’t care less where a player was born. 
So for all the reasons already stated and the countless threads that are about this exact topic … HARD NOOOO

30 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I don’t think you know what cancel culture is; dismissing someone because there are questions you don’t want to deal with is the essence of it. We don’t know what type of assets we would have to give up for Kane, but it’s worth exploring. We have a lot of them and they won’t all pan out.

This franchise could use something to cheer for. Another rebuild, with the same ownership, will only excite the diehards. Though it shouldn’t, as logically speaking, it’s only a matter of time til KA is on the hot seat. The Pegula’s have proved that they don’t have the patience for doing things the right way. And round and round we go.

And yes, you are arrogant. It’s irritating, most humans don’t find that to be an endearing quality. Some will even make comments about it, like I did.

Destroying history to create a new narrative doesn't seem like it makes a lot of sense unless you have an agenda that doesn't make a lot of sense. 

43 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

This franchise could use something to cheer for. Another rebuild, with the same ownership, will only excite the diehards. Though it shouldn’t, as logically speaking, it’s only a matter of time til KA is on the hot seat. The Pegula’s have proved that they don’t have the patience for doing things the right way. And round and round we go.

Not interested in giving up assets for a feel-good move. As others said upthread, come UFA time if Kane is interested in a short-ish, mid-price contract to close things up in Buffalo, maybe. Don't like the scandal stuff, although if KA got a feel that he truly says to himself, "that was really dumb and I'm never letting that happen again" I'm cool with second chances. Otherwise he can play somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I have some unfortunate news for many of you, I think it is only a matter of time until Terry and Kim get impatient and force KA to start trading assets away anyway. 

Not exactly "news" but more accurately "opinion."

And have big doubts about that opinion playing out accurately.  Had Regier not promised suffering while giving us Rolston w/out even looking at better options, he very well might have survived the tank.  Adams seems to be taking that rebuild approach w/out saying painfully stupid things nor installing a coach who is absolutely out of his element (though saying he's not bringing in quality vets so as to not "block" the kids isn't exactly Mensa level & Granato could very well see his season go much like his much hated predecessor's 1st year went especially if they can't get away from the injury bug) so if they've bought in on the 3-ish year rebuild, they can't really go and change directions 5 months into said 3 year rebuild without looking very bad.

I would not be surprised to see Kane in a Sabres uniform. They really want to play up the local ties angle for the franchise. Guy is still a hell of a player. You would hope he would have grown up, become a leader by this point in his career. I could definitely see the Pegulas want to bring him in and boost attendance. I don’t want to see prime assets go out the door for him but if it was reasonable then yeah, bring him home. Get some skill that wants to be here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

I don’t think you know what cancel culture is; dismissing someone because there are questions you don’t want to deal with is the essence of it. We don’t know what type of assets we would have to give up for Kane, but it’s worth exploring. We have a lot of them and they won’t all pan out.

And yes, you are arrogant. It’s irritating, most humans don’t find that to be an endearing quality. Some will even make comments about it, like I did.

Not liking someone because of bad things they have done in the past is not cancel culture, it’s just “I don’t like a-holes.”

Edited by Curt
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Not liking someone because of bad things they have done in the past is not cancel culture, it’s just “I don’t like a-holes.”

This isn’t grade school, nor is it a popularity contest. We are talking about employment opportunities here. Thanks for the oversimplification though. 

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not exactly "news" but more accurately "opinion."

And have big doubts about that opinion playing out accurately.  Had Regier not promised suffering while giving us Rolston w/out even looking at better options, he very well might have survived the tank.  Adams seems to be taking that rebuild approach w/out saying painfully stupid things nor installing a coach who is absolutely out of his element (though saying he's not bringing in quality vets so as to not "block" the kids isn't exactly Mensa level & Granato could very well see his season go much like his much hated predecessor's 1st year went especially if they can't get away from the injury bug) so if they've bought in on the 3-ish year rebuild, they can't really go and change directions 5 months into said 3 year rebuild without looking very bad.

Sure, it’s an opinion. But it’s based upon both information and belief, and I think it’s a logical one. I for one am not banking on the hope that this time it will be different, when one of the main variables (ownership) has not changed.

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

No it isn't. It is dismissing them from all of public life and forcing them out aka canceling them. You want to see cancel culture, look at the blackhawks abuse scandal. The guy who did the abusing is being canceled and rightfully so. Name off the cup, never be in the NHL ever again, cast out from that culture and exiled permanently. That's canceling. 
I don't like Kane because of some of his past maturity issues. "That's cancel culture" is such a faithless dog whistle response. I am not saying he shouldn't be in the league and any team that trades for him is evil and he should be shunned like a pariah. I just don't think his person fits this teams needs and part of that is that he's kind of a ***** person. Same goes for Evander Kane. 

19 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

This isn’t grade school, nor is it a popularity contest. We are talking about employment opportunities here. Thanks for the oversimplification though. 

We are talking employment and I don't want to employ someone like him currently with where this team as it. Isn't that free market capitalism right there?

The bolded is irrelevant for this season and Kane doesn't move the needle for most. The rebuild sucks and we all hate it but it was necessary after years of poor management. You still have not addressed subtracting assets from the rebuild to bring in Kane which is the biggest issue at hand. 

It is very clear the Pegula's have the patience this time or at least Adams has convinced them. You don't sit on Eichel for 8 months without patience. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No it isn't. It is dismissing them from all of public life and forcing them out aka canceling them. You want to see cancel culture, look at the blackhawks abuse scandal. The guy who did the abusing is being canceled and rightfully so. Name off the cup, never be in the NHL ever again, cast out from that culture and exiled permanently. That's canceling. 
I don't like Kane because of some of his past maturity issues. "That's cancel culture" is such a faithless dog whistle response. I am not saying he shouldn't be in the league and any team that trades for him is evil and he should be shunned like a pariah. I just don't think his person fits this teams needs and part of that is that he's kind of a ***** person. Same goes for Evander Kane. 

You do realize that you were the first to bring up cancel culture, right? And now you’re talking about dog whistles.

I merely pointed out that you are lobbying to not hire him, based on things you are not entirely privy to as fact, and then in the same breath saying this isn’t a cancel culture thing. I’m not interested in debating the different degrees of denying someone due process with you. Honestly you’re kind of all over the place.

You don’t have to worry about coded language or dog whistles with me, if I wanted to say something, I would say it. You want to talk about cancel culture and a sex abuse scandal, I’m trying to talk about whether the Sabres should make a move for Patrick Kane. You know, like what the thread is actually about. I did also want to slip in the jab about you being arrogant though, that part was fun.

10 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

What do you mean by “this isn’t grade school.”? I honestly don’t understand what you mean.

Do you mean that I must be a naive little kid to care whether or not a player is a jerk?

Thats kind of how I took it, but I’m honestly not sure.

I wasn’t trying to oversimplify and I don’t it was an oversimplification.  In fact I don’t think it’s a very complicated issue.

It kind of is a popularity contest.  Fans will support teams that they like.  That can mean different things.

If people were in here saying that Kane should be banned by the NHL, then that could be considered cancel culture.  But for me to say that I personally do not like Patrick Kane and as a result I am not in favor the Buffalo Sabres acquiring him, it’s not cancel culture.  People are going to like who they like.

Please attempt to engage in a discussion with me.  Another condescending reply would be non productive.

15 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

You do realize that you were the first to bring up cancel culture, right? And now you’re talking about dog whistles.

I merely pointed out that you are lobbying to not hire him, based on things you are not entirely privy to as fact, and then in the same breath saying this isn’t a cancel culture thing. I’m not interested in debating the different degrees of denying someone due process with you. Honestly you’re kind of all over the place.

You don’t have to worry about coded language or dog whistles with me, if I wanted to say something, I would say it. You want to talk about cancel culture and a sex abuse scandal, I’m trying to talk about whether the Sabres should make a move for Patrick Kane. You know, like what the thread is actually about. I did also want to slip in the jab about you being arrogant though, that part was fun.

This isn't a court of law, I don't have to give him due process. I am not even accusing him of a crime. And again I am not banishing him from the NHL. 

No I don't. I said Kane wasn't the high end I necessarily want. That is part of the reasoning for not making a move on him. That is not canceling him. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

What do you mean by “this isn’t grade school.”? I honestly don’t understand what you mean.

Do you mean that I must be a naive little kid to care whether or not a player is a jerk?

Thats kind of how I took it, but I’m honestly not sure.

I wasn’t trying to oversimplify and I don’t it was an oversimplification.  In fact I don’t think it’s a very complicated issue.

It kind of is a popularity contest.  Fans will support teams that they like.  That can mean different things.

If people were in here saying that Kane should be banned by the NHL, then that could be considered cancel culture.  But for me to say that I personally do not like Patrick Kane and as a result I am not in favor the Buffalo Sabres acquiring him, it’s not cancel culture.  People are going to like who they like.

Please attempt to engage in a discussion with me.  Another condescending reply would be non productive.

You were talking about someone (I assume LGR4GM) not liking him because Kane is an a******. That shouldn’t weigh in as heavily as some think it should with making a decision like this. We could use a Patrick Kane, even with his warts. Hence this isn’t grade school/ popularity contest. 

Tell me you don't know what "cancel culture" is without telling me you don't know. 

@I-90 W

9 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

You were talking about someone (I assume LGR4GM) not liking him because Kane is an a******. That shouldn’t weigh in as heavily as some think it should with making a decision like this. We could use a Patrick Kane, even with his warts. Hence this isn’t grade school/ popularity contest. 

I don't like Kane because he is signed for 1 more year, is really expensive, won't stay here, and requires assets to get, AND is a dick. He isn't my cup of tea and stop canceling me for having that opinion of Kane the person. See I can play this game too. 

I know a response is coming. I will let you have the last word because we clearly disagree on everything from Kane to what "cancel culture" is. So say whatever you are going to and I will do my best to let that be the end of it. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Tell me you don't know what "cancel culture" is without telling me you don't know. 

@I-90 W

I know what it is, but it cannot be separated from politics and therefore isn’t really appropriate for this thread. Let the record show, you brought it up.

This is yet another example of you making a comment with a political slant, and then getting upset when someone pushes back. Just stick to hockey. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.