GDT: Tampa Bay @ Buffalo - 10/25/2021 - 7pm EDT

WildCard

Some interesting stats after the 1st 6 games: 

1. Colin Miller is 2nd on the team in minutes played and is 2nd in scoring
  2. The Girgensons-Okposo-Eakin line has won 58% of their face-offs 61 out of 105 taken
  3. They also including Caggiula have 12 points total and are a +9 in +/-
  4. The Anderson-Tokarski tandem have a .946 save % and excluding the empty netter have only given up 10 goals total
  5. Bryson leads the team in power play points
  6. Dahlin-Miller and Butcher lead the team in TOI per game
  7. Olofsson-Thompson and Asplund lead the forwards in TOI per game
  8. So far we're entertained
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, eman said:

Truth. At the beginning, the posts here were disappointed in his acquisition, but I have to say, he has been a really pleasant surprise to the start of this season. So far, I really like his play. Risto who?

Your tone suggests Risto is good. He’s not. Almost any NHL defenseman at replacement level or above is better than Rasmus.  He has no hockey IQ. 

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I totally do not get that. Commenting on a team you don't even watch.

I like the team, I have better things to do than watch them lose. I still want to keep up to date with them. I like this community as well. I don't consider this purely a discussion on the Sabres to be honest, a lot of people here I've met and are friends.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I haven't been this entertained by a Sabres team since the Pegulas bought the team.

Okay - maybe the spring of 2011 when they made the playoffs and, at some point towards the end of the season in a key game, Gerbe had that sick spinorama goal.

But, really. They're fun to watch - regardless of what the score is. They keep coming, they keep going.

Pretty sure that was in the clincher against Philly, where both teams stood around for the last seemingly 5 minutes to secure points, which we both needed.

Could be wrong, though 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jsb said:

Some interesting stats after the 1st 6 games: 

1. Colin Miller is 2nd on the team in minutes played and is 2nd in scoring
  2. The Girgensons-Okposo-Eakin line has won 58% of their face-offs 61 out of 105 taken
  3. They also including Caggiula have 12 points total and are a +9 in +/-
  4. The Anderson-Tokarski tandem have a .946 save % and excluding the empty netter have only given up 10 goals total
  5. Bryson leads the team in power play points
  6. Dahlin-Miller and Butcher lead the team in TOI per game
  7. Olofsson-Thompson and Asplund lead the forwards in TOI per game
  8. So far we're entertained

Miller still stands out to me every game.  Not is a good way either.  I’ll see a defenseman flub a puck 3-4 times a game. It’s always number 33.  I don’t know why but he’s constantly mishandling the puck and quite often it causes problems in his own zone.  There were a few times last night where I screamed “Get the GD puck out of the zone”.   He’s always a part of the problem.  

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Same. The Sabres have sucked for years, and there's about 3 interesting players on the team that I care about. I'll watch next year once we get some more juice and an actual roster, but this is a throwaway year for me. Until then I'll get my news and discussion from SS

I feel this too. The Sabres chipped away at the emotion required to invest, for a decade, a third of my life. Being a fan of another team of course isn't an option, never has never will, so it sorta causes a detachment, to a degree, from the game as a whole. Like I said - I'm not going anywhere: for me the Sabres are hockey, to a large extent (as much as I love the game overall). But it'll take a good long while for the emotion and passion to come back for me, I think. Just waiting, right now. 

Whoever said all that tanking would do damage to the soul of a fan - your are correct, and wise, and I regret ever rooting for losses. I think I'd take that back, if I could.

The appreciation and love for the fanbase doesn't waver - frequenting this site remains, even when the team isn't drumming up the passion. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I like the team, I have better things to do than watch them lose. I still want to keep up to date with them. I like this community as well. I don't consider this purely a discussion on the Sabres to be honest, a lot of people here I've met and are friends.

But how can you give an opinion when you don't "watch them lose" as you put it? I've seen every second of every game and all but one preseason game that I couldn't find a stream for. I just assumed everyone here did the same because, you know, it's a Sabres board and you'd want to offer first-hand opinions. Wow, I'm stunned.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Miller still stands out to me every game.  Not is a good way either.  I’ll see a defenseman flub a puck 3-4 times a game. It’s always number 33.  I don’t know why but he’s constantly mishandling the puck and quite often it causes problems in his own zone.  There were a few times last night where I screamed “Get the GD puck out of the zone”.   He’s always a part of the problem.  

If you had told me with Joki out that the defense would be as stout as it's been I wouldn't have believed it. It kind of cracks me up how everyone/most have a favorite player that you forgive their misplays and an unfavorite player that you never see anything but their flaws. The Miller-Bryson pairing has done quite well so far IMO. In fact all 3 pairings have had their moments this season.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

on the other hand, gatekeeping certainly stinks 

Huh???

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But how can you give an opinion when you don't "watch them lose" as you put it? I've seen every second of every game and all but one preseason game that I couldn't find a stream for. I just assumed everyone here did the same because, you know, it's a Sabres board and you'd want to offer first-hand opinions. Wow, I'm stunned.

Where did I give an opinion? I'm very open about that I haven't seen a lot of games lately and I've been like that for awhile. I'm not out here throwing out major opinions on anything but some prospects and draft picks which I do follow. I guarantee you not everyone on here watches all of the games. The most popular threads on this board are Even Randomer, Movies and TV Shows, Awesome, Fantastic Fridays, etc...

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

on the other hand, gatekeeping certainly stinks 

Been on this board for a long time, watched a lot of games too lol

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm not sure why but it really seems like some people are really into negative energy. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, eman said:

Truth. At the beginning, the posts here were disappointed in his acquisition, but I have to say, he has been a really pleasant surprise to the start of this season. So far, I really like his play. Risto who?

If Hagg is supposed to be a Risto replacement he is looking quite a bit better thus far.  

Less offensive skill but a much smarter hockey player.  Maybe not as big and strong, but still plays like he is just as big and strong.   Hagg is more consistent.  

Hagg and Pysck have been solid and steady together.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If Hagg is supposed to be a Risto replacement he is looking quite a bit better thus far.  

Less offensive skill but a smarter player.  Maybe nit  as big and strong, but still plays like he is just as big and strong.  

Hagg and Pysck have been solid and steady together.  

Yeah, that pairing has been a surprise. And it was funny to hear Hinostroza refer to Pysck as “Pisser” in his post game presser last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I feel this too. The Sabres chipped away at the emotion required to invest, for a decade, a third of my life. Being a fan of another team of course isn't an option, never has never will, so it sorta causes a detachment, to a degree, from the game as a whole. Like I said - I'm not going anywhere: for me the Sabres are hockey, to a large extent (as much as I love the game overall). But it'll take a good long while for the emotion and passion to come back for me, I think. Just waiting, right now. 

Whoever said all that tanking would do damage to the soul of a fan - your are correct, and wise, and I regret ever rooting for losses. I think I'd take that back, if I could.

The appreciation and love for the fanbase doesn't waver - frequenting this site remains, even when the team isn't drumming up the passion. 

There's new grass on the field.

Don’t kid yourself, Hagg’s passing has been as dumb as Risto’s ever was.

Where he has been a huge improvement is in coverage. He doesn’t chase out of position the way Risto did. And so far he really locks in on his man and makes it hard for him to make a play.

His prick factor also seems high and that has been very welcome.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Same. The Sabres have sucked for years, and there's about 3 interesting players on the team that I care about. I'll watch next year once we get some more juice and an actual roster, but this is a throwaway year for me. Until then I'll get my news and discussion from SS

Throwaway year?   Why miss any years?   Life is short my friend.  Carpe Diem.  

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don’t kid yourself, Hagg’s passing has been as dumb as Risto’s ever was.

Where he has been a huge improvement is in coverage. He doesn’t chase out of position the way Risto did. And so far he really locks in on his man and makes it hard for him to make a play.

His prick factor also seems high and that has been very welcome.

Could be more of Granato's influence 

4 minutes ago, Topshelf13 said:

Hagg always has a confident ***** grin on his face after the post whistle pushing and shoving. Team needs some of that.

EQq53tzWoAEPtsm.thumb.jpg.ad77f32c99f79feaec8a2096ea20588c.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How can you hang out here every day then not watch?

It works for me, not going to pay money to watch, still like the people here enough to visit and keep track of the team. If they team stays good, I might even turn the bandwagon guy in my avatar around and run towards it.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Throwaway year?   Why miss any years?   Life is short my friend.  Carpe Diem.  

There are many noble and ignoble things to spend time on in life. Missing the Sabres this year is neither; spend time on what matters to you.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.