Jack Quinn is fine and probably good.

LGR4GM

20 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Quinn is starting to identify and get to the danger areas to score goals and he is finishing them.

With Peterka retrieving and feeding him, it's been beautiful to watch so far. 

One of the things I love about both of these players is their versatility.

Each has a versatile enough toolkit that either can be the playmaker, the finisher, or the conscience of their lines, depending on what the line needs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

We won’t know this for several years. I, too, thought Rossi or Lundell should have been the pick but time will tell.

I was on the Rossi train. I believed the write ups about Lundell being NHL ready but his upside being low. 
My latest dose of hopium has me liking Quinn more and more but still wishing we had C depth.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

One of the things I love about both of these players is their versatility.

Each has a versatile enough toolkit that either can be the playmaker, the finisher, or the conscience of their lines, depending on what the line needs.

Oh yeah.

Quinn will have a fair share of primary assists on Peterka goals also. 

Edited by Norcal

16 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I was on the Rossi train. I believed the write ups about Lundell being NHL ready but his upside being low. 
My latest dose of hopium has me liking Quinn more and more but still wishing we had C depth.

Just move Quinn to C. 😆

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is possible, but it's also been a refrain heard around these parts for years. Just add more talent and they'll all be fine and yet when various pieces of talent have been added it hasn't worked and we end up with Halls and Skinners. 

With Dahlin, I'm just not sure he has the drive and character to be a star D man so maybe if that falls to Power then he can fall into a role where he can excell without the expectation of being dominant. idk

I disagree with your comments about Dahlin. As for Power I'm hoping that he lives up to his lofty draft status. The consensus of the draft analysts categorized him as an elite prospect. With respect to future of our blue line grouping it looks bright if you include Samuelsson, Johnson, Dahlin, Power and Joki. It's taking time to form but it is materializing. 

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I disagree with your comments about Dahlin. As for Power I'm hoping that he lives up to his lofty draft status. The consensus of the draft analysts categorized him as an elite prospect. With respect to future of our blue line grouping it looks bright if you include Samuelsson, Johnson, Dahlin, Power and Joki. It's taking time to form but it is materializing. 

Wait until they draft Simon Nemec at like 8th overall this year. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Wait until they draft Simon Nemec at like 8th overall this year. 

Maybe we will be drafting a little lower in the draft? 🙂

What's your opinion of Oskari Laaksonen who is in Rochester right now? Will he be ready to make the jump up next year or a year after? Is he at the minimum a third pairing caliber of player? 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Maybe we will be drafting a little lower in the draft? 🙂

What's your opinion of Oskari Laaksonen who is in Rochester right now? Will he be ready to make the jump up next year or a year after? Is he at the minimum a third pairing caliber of player? 

My opinion is they should have drafted David Farrance but If Laaksonen manages to be a 3rd pairing guy that will be a major win. If he doesn't make it next year the chances of it happening go way down. I hope he does but I often wonder if he is a tweener. We will have to see how his year in Rochester goes. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

My opinion is they should have drafted David Farrance but If Laaksonen manages to be a 3rd pairing guy that will be a major win. If he doesn't make it next year the chances of it happening go way down. I hope he does but I often wonder if he is a tweener. We will have to see how his year in Rochester goes. 

He was an AHL all-star last season.  He’ll be called up this season if and when guys like Miller and Butcher are traded.  Management also likes Fitzgerald’s game and think he is close to NHL ready.  I’ll be honest and say I never saw that coming. 

With Samuelson, Bryson, Joki, Dahlin, Power, Laaksonen and now Fitzgerald that’s a nice D foundation to build around

On 10/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, Curt said:

Quinn is generally regarded by scouts as a notably well above average defensive forward with a mature 200 ft game.  He was used on a shutdown type line by Canada at the most recent world juniors.

It could be that they have Quinn focusing on certain aspects of his game which leads to what appears to be "soft" defensive coverage.  I'm not too worried about him.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:55 AM, Nozlen said:

it could be the game plan that keeps him ready for a breakout instead off pressing on defense.

Yeah maybe that too.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

With Dahlin, I'm just not sure he has the drive and character to be a star D man so maybe if that falls to Power then he can fall into a role where he can excell without the expectation of being dominant. idk

A quiet but effective defenseman can be a star too.  Nick Lidstrom didn't stick out too much in the early years (I lived in Detroit at the time).  Then one day he had a body of work to look back on and you realized he was rocking it.

Quinn was a role player at the World Juniors and I thought he did well defensively. 
Defense can be taught if he does need extra work, it is the offensive instincts and creativity that got him selected in the first round.

I want him to be a two way threat and have stated before he could be a Mark Stone type of NHLer.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is Quinn still eligible?

I was waiting for you to update us on who we should be expecting to see this year because you're always on top on the prospects.  I assume that both Quinn and Peterka are now too old for WJC.  But we can expect to see Power, Rosen, and hopefully some of the Russians (but their program is not as easy to predict).  Anyone else?

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

A quiet but effective defenseman can be a star too.  Nick Lidstrom didn't stick out too much in the early years (I lived in Detroit at the time).  Then one day he had a body of work to look back on and you realized he was rocking it.

I will say Dahlin has been better in the regular season so far than he was in the preseason (where he was awful) but he still runs around too much and gets caught out of position. Pairing him with a positionally stronger and more reliable partner helps him a lot and I would question Granato's decision if he pairs him back with Jokharju again when he returns. 

I also think Dahlin's decision making is slow and flawed. Carries the puck alone when he should pass it and to a lesser extent vice versa. Many of the basic fundamentals of his D game are weak and that's on the Sabres, not him. maybe it's slowly being corrected now, but idk. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Do we expect both Quinn and Peterka to play at the WJC this year?

Quinn just turned 20, so no. 

Peterka is 4 months younger, and I believe he just makes the cut, but it would be a mild surprise if he is released given the fact he’s playing a 1st-line role as a pro and has already proven everything he needs to prove at that level.

But should be good Sabres representation.

Power will be Team Canada’s top defenceman. Rosen led Sweden’s U18 team with 7 goals in 7 games last year and should graduate to U20. Poltapov and Kisakov are possible members of the Russian team, as is Novikov. And Marjala has a shot for the Finns. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Digger said:

I was waiting for you to update us on who we should be expecting to see this year because you're always on top on the prospects.  I assume that both Quinn and Peterka are now too old for WJC.  But we can expect to see Power, Rosen, and hopefully some of the Russians (but their program is not as easy to predict).  Anyone else?

I think you have to born January 1 or later to be eligible if I understand the rules. Quinn would not but Peterka would be eligible. 

Basically if the tourney ends in 2022 you have to be born Jan 1 2002 or after to be eligible. 

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Quinn just turned 20, so no. 

Peterka is 4 months younger, and I believe he just makes the cut, but it would be a mild surprise if he is released given the fact he’s playing a 1st-line role as a pro and has already proven everything he needs to prove at that level.

But should be good Sabres representation.

Power will be Team Canada’s top defenceman. Rosen led Sweden’s U18 team with 7 goals in 7 games last year and should graduate to U20. Poltapov and Kisakov are likely members of the Russian team, as is Novikov. And Marjala has a shot for the Finns. 

I think they'll release him because Germany needs him and it would be a big deal personally for him to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.