Is Don Granato the best coach the Sabres have had since Lindy Ruff?

LGR4GM

I listened to Granato for the first time this morning on WGR. I liked what I heard, a lot. Granted, if the team weren't taking points in most games, I'd probably feel differently. But that's not the case. They're playing in a way that correlates directly with the things he is saying. Full marks to HCDG.

Also, I only recently came to appreciate the fact that HCDG comes from a hockey family - a damn good one too. That sort of stuff matters. Or at least, it can. And I think it does here.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I listened to Granato for the first time this morning on WGR. I liked what I heard, a lot. Granted, if the team weren't taking points in most games, I'd probably feel differently. But that's not the case. They're playing in a way that correlates directly with the things he is saying. Full marks to HCDG.

Also, I only recently came to appreciate the fact that HCDG comes from a hockey family - a damn good one too. That sort of stuff matters. Or at least, it can. And I think it does here.

Outplay boston and lose, get outplayed by tampa and win?

Poor results from the Botterill Hockey Family, good results from the Granato Hockey Family?

34 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Outplay boston and lose, get outplayed by tampa and win?

Poor results from the Botterill Hockey Family, good results from the Granato Hockey Family?

Puck luck goes a long way.  If Killorn scores on his 2 open nets & the goal that he runs over Anderson doesn't happen, that 2-0 lead is likely insurmountable, even with the shell of Elliott at the other end.

If either of Marchand's cross checks get called, does that game go differently?

And agreed, there was more than a bit of luck last night to make things jibe.  But to a certain degree, you make your own luck.  Cooper certainly did.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Puck luck goes a long way.  If Killorn scores on his 2 open nets & the goal that he runs over Anderson doesn't happen, that 2-0 lead is likely insurmountable, even with the shell of Elliott at the other end.

Yes it was lucky, but even when the Sabres were under siege they didn't just sit there and take it.  I think they were doing enough in their own defensive zone to keep Tampa Bay just off their game.  Take away time and space and even top players don't execute as well.  From that standpoint I think the Sabres' high pressure game goes some way to making their own luck.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Just something about mirrored results being a theme of my reading day here, nothing important. i just post stuff. 

You've been pondering greatly lately.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Yes it was lucky, but even when the Sabres were under siege they didn't just sit there and take it.  I think they were doing enough in their own defensive zone to keep Tampa Bay just off their game.  Take away time and space and even top players don't execute as well.  From that standpoint I think the Sabres' high pressure game goes some way to making their own luck.

Christian_Ponder_Short_Leash_Vikings_Matt_Cassel_Bears.thumb.jpg.5f0f4b2d1ebec236353842230abb8427.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

To your 1st sentence.  Absolutely.  Will, hopefully tonight, be posting observations from last night's game and a sentiment to that effect will go in there.  They are very non-passive in their own end but they tend not to over pursue (which was even noticeable in Joisey when they were gassed).  That is a product of coaching (not getting out of position when pressuring hard, Skinner showed what happens in OT when you do let your pursuit take you out of the play).

But to the bolded, expect it was that, combined with having the Sabres playing the body which was likely not in the scouting report after the prior 2 games (both Cirelli & Stamkos took good hits in the 1st, fun times), AND a general disrespect of the Sabres.  Cooper has a ridiculous record against the Sabres (nearly Belicheat-Brady level vs the Bills) and they're playing a Pens team that's on fire tonight.  That probably went a ways towards missing open nets & misfiring on cross ice passes as well.  By the time Anderson had survived the 1st, he was ready to face what they had in the 2nd.  And though TB dominated the 1st 15 minutes of the 2nd, they didn't get the same quality of chances they had in the 1st.  (At least that's how it looked from up above.)  Aka, when the Bolts were ready to take things seriously, the Sabres were able to clean up their own end even though their own blue line seemed to be something they dare not cross for fear of dragons being on the other side.  (That long distance to get to the bench is even further when the other team is pouring it on.)

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

So here we are:  Fast start, then the 5 game losing streak starting on the WC road trip.  Since that losing streak ended they're 2-1.

I remember someone on the forum said during the hot start that we'd see if Granato was any good once the team experienced some adversity.

So the team lost five games and everyone was down on Granato.  They've staunched, not stopped, the bleeding.  But what are we seeing?  There's still a fair amount of adversity:  4 of our best players are injured, as is the mature piece we got from the Eichel trade.  But what are we seeing:

• Dustin Tokarski giving this team a chance to win every night he plays (and tonight he stole the game from Pittsburgh)
  • Growth, most recently in Dylan Cozens.  It's not just the stats, it's his attitude:  He wants the challenge of taking the big minutes against the other team's best line.
  • Continued growth from Tage Thompson in his role of center, and chemistry with Skinner that may restore his scoring touch.
  • Growth from Jacob Bryson who's looking like a puck-moving shutdown 1D lately.
  • The JAGs not just filling holes in the lineup, but contributing:  Hinostroza:  .47 PPG, 0 +/-; Caggiula:  .33 PPG, 0+/-; Ruotsalainen:  .29 PPG, 6 +/-; Bjork:  .27 PPG, 0 +/-
  • Contributions from all players:  All forwards who have played multiple games except Hayden have scored.  All skaters who have played multiple games have at least one assist.
  • Rasmus Asplund is our leading scorer.  Olofsson (expected) and Tage (unexpected) are our leading goal scorers.
  • The team is in most games and they're playing watchable hockey, even in some of the games during the recent losing streak.

Granato said last year when he was the interim coach that it was his job to find a way to win with the team he had.  He's had his share of losses, sure, but he's doing okay in the win column and is teaching his good and great players to be good and great at the NHL level.  This isn't it.  The team will continue to improve due to Granato's coaching, plus there will be an infusion of talent when the IR clear out.

It seems like every other coach since Lindy brought in a system and made his top players play it, with the promise that when other good players joined the team we would eventually be good.  Granato is implementing a system and expects all the players to play it.  And more importantly he's a problem solver:  As things pop up he addresses them.  It's not just the players aren't following the system.  It's a combination of learning on the players' part and adjusting his system to get the players to perform better.  This kind of interactive, give & take approach I'm sure happened with most of the other coaches (except Krueger of course), but Granato is also very good at communicating what he's doing with the press and fans.

There's a process and the team is progressing.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

So here we are:  Fast start, then the 5 game losing streak starting on the WC road trip.  Since that losing streak ended they're 2-1.

I remember someone on the forum said during the hot start that we'd see if Granato was any good once the team experienced some adversity.

So the team lost five games and everyone was down on Granato.  They've staunched, not stopped, the bleeding.  But what are we seeing?  There's still a fair amount of adversity:  4 of our best players are injured, as is the mature piece we got from the Eichel trade.  But what are we seeing:

• Dustin Tokarski giving this team a chance to win every night he plays (and tonight he stole the game from Pittsburgh)
  • Growth, most recently in Dylan Cozens.  It's not just the stats, it's his attitude:  He wants the challenge of taking the big minutes against the other team's best line.
  • Continued growth from Tage Thompson in his role of center, and chemistry with Skinner that may restore his scoring touch.
  • The JAGs not just filling holes in the lineup, but contributing:  Hinostroza:  .47 PPG, 0 +/-; Caggiula:  .33 PPG, 0+/-; Ruotsalainen:  .29 PPG, 6 +/-; Bjork:  .27 PPG, 0 +/-
  • Contributions from all players:  All forwards who have played multiple games except Hayden have scored.  All skaters who have played multiple games have at least one assist.
  • Rasmus Asplund is our leading scorer.  Olofsson (expected) and Tage (unexpected) are our leading goal scorers.
  • The team is in most games and they're playing watchable hockey, even in some of the games during the recent losing streak.

Granato said last year when he was the interim coach that it was his job to find a way to win with the team he had.  He's had his share of losses, sure, but he's doing okay in the win column and is teaching his good and great players to be good and great at the NHL level.  This isn't it.  The team will continue to improve due to Granato's coaching, plus there will be an infusion of talent when the IR clear out.

It seems like every other coach since Lindy brought in a system and made his top players play it, with the promise that when other good players joined the team we would eventually be good.  Granato is implementing a system and expects all the players to play it.  And more importantly he's a problem solver:  As things pop up he addresses them.  It's not just the players aren't following the system.  It's a combination of learning on the players' part and adjusting his system to get the players to perform better.  This kind of interactive, give & take approach I'm sure happened with most of the other coaches (except Krueger of course), but Granato is also very good at communicating what he's doing with the press and fans.

Are there any 5’9” shut down Dmen in the NHL?  

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

Are there any 5’9” shut down Dmen in the NHL?  

At least one.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Do you make this ***** up just so you can get that novel percolating in your brain an excuse to erupt?

Pretty much.  You're free to scroll on by.

I don't know that I've posted here. But I have posted about HC DG elsewhere.

So I feel obliged to chime in and say that I am a believer in HC DG. Between the way the team plays under his direction and the things he says (and does not say!) in his media appearances (and how he says them (his "vibe")), I am convinced that he can and will be a successful NHL coach. Hopefully, that success occurs here. And soon!

Most recently, I was fairly over the moon when he talked to the following effect on his weekly appearance on WGR -- paraphrasing: "These guys are capable of more than they realize. They are NHL players. That's a huge deal. They've put years and years in to become among the very best in the world. And yet they can forget how good they are, and how good they can be. We're trying to get them comfortable with getting back in touch with just how good they are. And if I am yelling at them for honest mistakes, that's not helping anything. There are some rules of course: Working hard and competing. But I have to avoid being negative with them all the time, and we can't plan to play conservatively."

His comments are here --> https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/11-16-sabres-head-coach-don-granato-948493351

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Excellent analysis. The one sentence that struck a chord is the sentence about the coach's ability to solve problems. Moving Tage to center was a terrific decision that not only better utilized Tage's talents but also addressed a critical position for this team. And how the coach has handled Skinner and put him in a position to succeed was masterful. He took a player who was buried by the prior coach and has gotten him revitalized as a player. In yesterday's game I thought that even though he didn't score a goal this was his best game. Salvaging a player that is not a factor and turning him into a factor is like bringing in a player from the outside to bolster the team. I can't say enough positive things about the coach.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The one sentence that struck a chord is the sentence about the coach's ability to solve problems.

I just posted in the Pittsburgh GDT that I picture a whiteboard in DG's office with a list of issues that needs to be addressed.  It's impossible to address them all simultaneously so he regularly prioritizes them and tries to solve one or two during practices between each game.  I think the work with Cozens to set him up to succeed against McDavid, Matthews and Crosby was a recent project from his list.  Maybe the power play is moving up in priority right now; if we could have scored after some of the rough play it would have swung the momentum our way.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Pretty much.  You're free to scroll on by.

My point was, the comment I snipped just isn’t factual here.  Using it as a starting point for the rest is not a stable base for the premise.

Blame the tone on early morning.

• Like (+1) 1