What do you expect from: #22 Jack Quinn?

dudacek

Jack Quinn  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Quinn this year?

• Some ups and down and maybe 30-40 points in the AHL, as is typical for non-elite 1st-year pro forward prospects
    • Dominant play in Rochester, leading to a mid-season call-up to Buffalo, where he will stay
    • He will make the Sabres out of training camp in a depth role, as frequently happens with 2nd-year top 10 NHL picks
    • He will make the Sabres out of training camp and put up 30-40 points in a regular role

It's hard to recall a Sabres 1st-rounder, let alone a top 10 pick, being dismissed as quickly by the Sabres fanbase as Quinn has been.

Despite being a two-way play driver and the highest goal-scorer available in the entire 2020 draft, Quinn was not a centre, and was not as hyped as 2 or 3 centres still on the board when it came time for the Sabres to pick at #8 overall. The Sabres Twitterverse erupted in anger when they passed on Marco Rossi to take him and the fire was stoked when players like Anton Lundell, Cole Perfetti and Seth Jarvis put up flashier numbers post-draft.

Quinn is a multi-tool winger with decent size and skating and good athleticism, hands, vision and work ethic.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=208510

Quinn's development was truncated after the draft by the pandemic. He made one of the more stacked Team Canada WJC rosters in recent memory in a checking role, putting up respectable point totals and not being on the ice for an even-strength goal against. He then played as an under-ager in Rochester and was reportedly starting to come on after some early struggles, before being shelved due to surgery for a nagging hernia.

The Sabres experimented with him at centre to end his season in Rochester, something that has carried over to training camp this year.

What do you expect from Quinn this season?

Edited by dudacek

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My choice isn't an option. 

He'll start slow in Rochester and then turn it up in the 2nd half. He'll be shy of being a ppg player but will show his 2 way skill and shot off.

Yep I agree with you (but went with option 2 given the choices available).  He's got lots of talent and he is a smart player.  He will show it this season in Rochester.  I love the idea of Quinn and Peterka developing together this season and then making a push for regular roles with the Sabres next season.

Edited by Digger
  • Like (+1) 1

The way Rochester is constructed combined with the organizational philosophy of no blocking, there is almost no way that Quinn won't play in the top six in Rochester from day one. And he's already proven capable of being that 30-40 point guy at that level despite his hernia.

So I am going with option two.

I also think that the team — contrary to some fans — has left the door open for him to make the NHL roster in training camp, but he will have to earn it. He is one of the players who will be watched most closely in camp.

They like him a lot more than you do.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

Beyond the offence, puck battles and retrievals continue to be a major selling point. Quinn’s still figuring out how to better use his body to gain positioning and deception to find separation, but he’s just as resilient fighting through contact as he was in the OHL. And he’s never shy to bring the puck from the outside to the middle.

As Quinn’s adaptation to the pro game continues, expect his chance creation from puck retrievals to increase. The continued development of a give-and-go game will nicely complement his biggest threat (shooting off the pass), helping him become a top-six forward territory. 

In a couple of years, Quinn could become a 25-30 goal threat with off-puck value.

https://eprinkside.com/2021/09/28/ep-rinkside-2020-21-prospect-pool-rankings-no-12-ranked-buffalo-sabres (paywalled)

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Well, Jack Quinn is one of I think 2 natural right handed right wings in the org. And most importantly he's better at wing impo.

I don't understand why you guys don't think he can be a center when he was going to be a center with the Ottawa 67?   And they tried him at center in Rochester and now in Buffalo so obviously they see something

25 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't understand why you guys don't think he can be a center when he was going to be a center with the Ottawa 67?   And they tried him at center in Rochester and now in Buffalo so obviously they see something

He absolutely can. His defense is good but idk if he should. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.