I'm actually excited for this Sabres season, no expectations

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

RJ's most famous call this season will be, "These guys are not bad.  SCARY not bad!"

I'd be happy if they live up to my initial expectation ... not very terrible.

I actually think that they will be a lot better than that.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
more goodly typing ...

I'm always optimistic. I have no expectations because there is nowhere to go but up. 

I love the Bills and I'm excited about their chances this season but I cringe every time SuperBowl is mentioned because I would rather play it out on the field before anything is anointed or expected. 

I saw some changes, I heard the talk and now we'll see some results. I'll be watching. 

Lets GO Sabres!!!!!

6 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'd be happy if they live up to my initial expectation ... not very terrible.

I actually think that they will be a lot better than that.

They won't be terrible.  But they won't be good either.  And at the end of the day there will likely only be a couple teams w/ fewer points.

Hoping the GTing is good enough that they don't have to adjust for it.  If it isn't, it'll look like the year Rolston was handed the reins to start the year.

• Like (+1) 3

• LGR4GM locked this topic
  • LGR4GM unlocked this topic
13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I am excited for this Sabres season because I personally do not care what they do. I have no expectations for them to finish last, make the playoffs, or really anything else. I just want to watch some mildly entertaining hockey  

That's kind of sad and shows how far this team has fallen. So much losing that a new season can bring complacent nothingness and zero expectations. You're not just setting the bar low, you're dropping it into the mud.

Ted Lasso on the other hand is a great show even though the premise is absurd, hiring a football coach to coach soccer. I mean can you imagine if the Sabres hired a soccer coach to..................oh never mind,

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, I knew the negative and grumpy ppl couldn't leave one thread alone. Sabrespace is borderline unreadable. 

Of course you do realize there'd be less grumpy people if the team ever started winning again so I think your perspective is a little backwards. 

I too, have no expectations. Like most of the last handful of seasons. They’ve seemingly had some of the right pieces on some of those rosters, but always the wrong coach. Hopefully they have the right one finally, just now without good pieces yet.

Im hoping for a lot of run and gun 7–4 type games. Those would be exciting. I’m still pretty sure I won’t be watching any games for the first time since the late 90’s, but I may cave. I’ll likely attend a game or 2 if tix are cheap. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

Expectations-schmectpectations!

I'm listening to the training camp interviews and I'm excited for these guys.  They have basically three Sabre vets- Girgs, Okie and Skinner, a few other journeymen to flesh out the team, but it's clear that this is team is looking to the youth to set the tone.  If I'm Cozens or Mitts or Tage or either Rasmus or Joki, I'm excited to make my mark.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Wo ist dis faith in Dell coming from??? I’m mean I hope you are right but it seems like you dreamed it last night and report it here now, lol 

Actually, his overall career stats are virtually identical to Ullmark's.  The troubling thing is that for Dell it hasn't been a steady rise as with Ullmark, but he's shown he's a capable goalie.  I think one of him or Anderson or 6k will be pretty good; my money is on Dell.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm looking forward to this season too.  I want to see how the kids do over a full season with granato. It's not likely that they will challenge for a playoff spot but I hope to see the kids some fun hockey.

This season is about more than hockey though. After everything that's gone on outside hockey it's about moving back to normality (or something like it). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

I'm looking forward to this season too.  I want to see how the kids do over a full season with granato. It's not likely that they will challenge for a playoff spot but I hope to see the kids some fun hockey.

This season is about more than hockey though. After everything that's gone on outside hockey it's about moving back to normality (or something like it). 

Sabres being in last place is normal

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

We have lost a franchise player at age 25 and  Forcing kids half his talent to be it .

I for one am coming around to the position that Jack was a cancer on the ice.  By that I mean that his coaches deferred to his all powerful generationalness and made everything about him.  Even if he stays (yes I know, unlikely) I like that there will be a period where they are moving on without him and establishing an identity apart from The Jack Eichel show.

I'll take lesser talent if it works together and plays harder.  That's what I expect and to me it's worth sacrificing Eichel to build an actual team.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I for one am coming around to the position that Jack was a cancer on the ice.  By that I mean that his coaches deferred to his all powerful generationalness and made everything about him.  Even if he stays (yes I know, unlikely) I like that there will be a period where they are moving on without him and establishing an identity apart from The Jack Eichel show.

I'll take lesser talent if it works together and plays harder.  That's what I expect and to me it's worth sacrificing Eichel to build an actual team.

I understand your thinking but hardwork only takes you so far in this league is all about scoring if we try the 99 team method will be left behind. 

On 9/25/2021 at 3:18 PM, LGR4GM said:

Yea, I knew the negative and grumpy ppl couldn't leave one thread alone. Sabrespace is borderline unreadable. 

I don't know why they would want to spoil this thread. You and many others are way more knowledgeable about hockey than I am - and I will admit to that any day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.