Rumor: Eichel to have surgery soon

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

If it ends up being true that his neck is healing and expected to be at 100% via the rest and rehab route initially recommended and prescribed by team doctors, then the ungrateful prick should write a letter of apology and gratitude for being able to avoid any risky invasive procedure on his cervical spine. 

It's been reported that the team doctors feel surgery is /was necessary, just not the kind Jack wants. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The bold is why the comments by Razor make sense. Maybe Eichel never wanted to be traded he just wanted his surgery and his agent kept pushing that even though Jack's neck has or is healing. Maybe he will be good to go by December with rest and rehab. Maybe Jack getting healthy complicates the trade because the price is justifiably high and teams are balking at it. The hold up is over the ask IMPO. 

Adams did say shortly after the season ended that Jack never asked to be traded. His agents were obviously pretty vocal about it though.

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

It's been reported that the team doctors feel surgery is /was necessary, just not the kind Jack wants. 

I don’t recall seeing those reports, only that they would approve the fusion surgery if it was necessary. But if what Razor said has any truth to it and the prescribed course of treatment is working, then they did him a huge favor by having him avoid an invasive surgical procedure to the cervical spine.

Like I said earlier, if that ends up being the case, then the ungrateful prick really needs to write that letter of apology and gratitude to the organization that he and his former representatives have spent the last several months denigrating. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My inclination is that he will need surgery to fix the core problem that he has. Even if he is getting better with rest and physical therapy that doesn't mean that the disk issue is fully addressed. If he continues on with the rehabbing until December, after which another assessment is made, and then it is determined that he can't play without making the injury worse, he will still have to decide which surgery will be most appropriate. No matter which surgery is chosen at that time it is unlikely that he will be able to play post surgery this season if it is delayed. 

I'm sure that KA's asking price is high. And it should be. In my view KA is handling this situation smartly. He is not going to give away a major talent unless the return is substantial. That's not going to happen until Jack demonstrates that he can return to his former level of play. What's becoming more obvious (to me) is that the Jack trade issue is going to take a lot more time to sort out.  

I have had disk surgery on my back. There were days prior to the surgery where I felt great. And there were days for inexplicable reasons I was stiff as a board. I see him getting the surgery sooner rather than later. 

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm sure that KA's asking price is high. And it should be. In my view KA is handling this situation smartly. He is not going to give away a major talent unless the return is substantial. That's not going to happen until Jack demonstrates that he can return to his former level of play. What's becoming more obvious (to me) is that the Jack trade issue is going to take a lot more time to sort out.  

And what happens when unhappy Jack takes the ice and doesn’t put forth much effort? THEN do you trade him for a soft pretzel without cheese?

Edited by Andrew Amerk

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

If unhappy Jack wants to spend the next 5 years of his life ruining his career then let him. Why do I care? You want your legacy to be that of a petulant player who fully quit on his team and whined about for HALF A DECADE? Go right ahead.

I completely understand that angle, but wouldn’t it be better to get something for him than to hold onto him for 5 years in the press box?

What kind of message would that send to other players in the league and future prospects?

13 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

And what happens when unhappy Jack takes the ice and doesn’t put forth much effort? THEN do you trade him for a soft pretzel without cheese?

Jack is not a fool. If he wants out that the best way to facilitate a trade is for him to demonstrate that he is back or near back to his old form. That is the best situation for him and the organization. Whether he is happy or not to play well is in his best interest.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Jack is not a fool. If he wants out that the best way to facilitate a trade is for him to demonstrate that he is back or near back to his old form. That is the best situation for him and the organization. Whether he is happy or not to play well is in his best interest.  

Jack might be a fool, and knows if he plays like hot trash, the Sabres would be equally eager to trade him for a couple slices of reheated La Nova from KBC. 

16 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Jack might be a fool, and knows if he plays like hot trash, the Sabres would be equally eager to trade him for a couple slices of reheated La Nova from KBC. 

Doubt it, they’d be more likely to just eat his contract at that point. No reasonable person would dump their best player for garbage

Just now, thewookie1 said:

Doubt it, they’d be more likely to just eat his contract at that point. No reasonable person would dump their best player for garbage

Idk. If the return is a handful of draft picks, it’s only potential garbage. 

And it means the Penny pinching Pegs are not paying him. If they didn’t want to pay minimum wage arena cleaners, or ROR’s bonus, I’m sure they don’t want to pay $50 million for someone to eat popcorn next to the blog reporters in the press box for 5 years. They don’t even want to pay someone to make sure alumni jerseys are spelled correctly. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I just disagree with your take. What Jack knows is that KA is determined to get value for him. And the best way to have that happen is for Jack to demonstrate that he still has it in him. 

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I just disagree with your take. What Jack knows is that KA is determined to get value for him. And the best way to have that happen is for Jack to demonstrate that he still has it in him. 

Worked with Kozlov.  Prick never wanted to be the return in the Hasek trade & pouted & played horribly the 1st 2 or so months here.  Regier told him that he'd trade him but only for a legit return.  Amazing how much better the prick played after that.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

I don’t recall seeing those reports, only that they would approve the fusion surgery if it was necessary. But if what Razor said has any truth to it and the prescribed course of treatment is working, then they did him a huge favor by having him avoid an invasive surgical procedure to the cervical spine.

Like I said earlier, if that ends up being the case, then the ungrateful prick really needs to write that letter of apology and gratitude to the organization that he and his former representatives have spent the last several months denigrating. 

Can you list the times that Eichel has denigrated the Sabres organization the last several months?  And a frown emoji doesn't count.

You may have him confused with the majority of posters on this site or the rest of the fans, writers and hockey pundits of the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

That was quite a sly run Ray took at Jack this morning.

He skirted outright calling him a drama queen, but basically questioned the severity of the injury and the emphasis placed on it and the dispute around his treatment.

Ray was very good.  Jack and his agent created a lot of drama and killed his trade value.  If rest and rehab eventually get Jack on the ice he owes the Sabres medical staff a big thank you.  If surgery is needed Jack knows that the majority of the medical community in the NHL will support fusion, not replacement.  Jack and Fish created a lot of drama in an effort to force a trade and fleece the Sabres.  Fish takes the fall.  

12 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Adams did say shortly  Jack never asked to be traded. His agents were obviously pretty vocal about it though.

True at the end of the season.   Jack and Fish and their plan were exposed at that big meeting with the league and with the NHLPA.  Jack made a pivot after that by hiring Brisson.  

7 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Can you list the times that Eichel has denigrated the Sabres organization the last several months?  And a frown emoji doesn't count.

You may have him confused with the majority of posters on this site or the rest of the fans, writers and hockey pundits of the NHL.

There may be no quotes in the media from Jack requesting a trade or denigrating the Sabres.  But he speaks through his agent and their comments and actions spoke loudly.   None of it good.

Don’t make him into a good guy now.  Jack Eichel put this team through hell, and the team already has a poor reputation.  

Adams has elevated his stature as a rookie GM.  Jack has added to his reputation as a troublesome guy.  Brisson is hired  to make Jack look like he is worth more than the pile of trash teams were offering.  Part of that is to help Jack with his perception around the league  

Listen to The Instigators and fill in the blanks. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Worked with Kozlov.  Prick never wanted to be the return in the Hasek trade & pouted & played horribly the 1st 2 or so months here.  Regier told him that he'd trade him but only for a legit return.  Amazing how much better the prick played after that.

The moral of the story you just told: Even a hard prick can be less emotional and more rational when it is in the Dick's best interest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The bold is why the comments by Razor make sense. Maybe Eichel never wanted to be traded he just wanted his surgery and his agent kept pushing that even though Jack's neck has or is healing. Maybe he will be good to go by December with rest and rehab. Maybe Jack getting healthy complicates the trade because the price is justifiably high and teams are balking at it. The hold up is over the ask IMPO. 

Jack wants to be be traded, he was using the surgery disconnect as the reason.  This is why Adams was fielding offers.  

Jack being healthy simplifies the trade. It takes out the injury risk which is complicated to factor in. 

If Adams asking price is too high the market will tell him that and he will adjust.   Removing the cloud created by the injury will help find the real market value.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

The bold is completely unnecessary, and I'd wager to say the classification of Eichel and his reps spending "several months denigrating" the organization is a massive stretch. Eichel has said barely anything, in fact nothing outside of his end of year press conference, and his agents put out a statement that talks weren't going the way they wanted them to (which was indeed dumb). 

But they've hardly been taking shots at the organization for months. 

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Right. 

Why is it unreasonable to so many folks here and in our local media that he may simply want disc replacement because studies have shown it to offer improved long-term quality of life compared to fusion?

He's a young, otherwise healthy person who I'd assume cares a lot about his body and health.  And fusion, to my knowledge, is not a reversible procedure.  If I was in that spot, I'd be very tempted by ADR as well.

I don't get why this has to be a big conspiracy in an attempt to force a trade, when the easy answer to me is that he simply is injured and wants a different procedure.  As has been reported.

Edited by Shootica
  • Like (+1) 1