Rumor: Eichel to have surgery soon

LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Wait.  We're calling John Dick now?

A Dick with a capital D.  

I am not in the enlarged category of being anti-Jack. Putting aside his injury situation I understand why he wants out. Ideally, I wish he was healthy and was fully committed to the team. My preferred situation would be that he was back in the fold and revved up to play. For a lot of reasons that is not the case. At this point it is futile to argue whether it was the organization's fault or his fault why the situation is where it is. There is plenty of blame to go around. Like it or not where we are at is where we are at. As in some relationships splitting up is the best outcome for both sides. I'm hoping that a deal gets made that benefits the team and that also benefits him. When franchises falter there is more discontent. And that is what happened here. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/kyle-okposo-on-jack-eichel-everybody-wants-some-closure-and-some-answers/article_5337aa56-0b67-11ec-b724-070dbf205153.html

He certainly isn't having surgery this week.

Sabres captain Jack Eichel is in suburban Montreal this week, taking part in off-ice activities for the annual BioSteel camp for NHL players. Eichel, still awaiting clarity on a surgery option for the herniated disk in his neck, is not skating in the live scrimmages at the camp.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I used to be in the don't trade John camp, but now I am in the trade Johnny Boy any way, any how, as soon as possible, camp, if for no other reason than to shut all these damn threads down in order to eliminate all the pissy attitudes in here and we will consolidate all the piss in one mega thread.

*(I am sure that there should be at least one period in there somewhere, but I can't decide where ... GOODLY!!)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I think he has zero inside information but that's my opinion of course. 

Buffalo just doesn't leak any information ever a trade will come out of the blue 

But Ray talks to alumni and Sabres staff. He sees and hears stuff. To believe he has ZERO inside info is nuts, sorry.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm sure he knows people but inside info in the organization I doubt it can someone honestly name one thing a "insider" has gotten right 

Is that not the definition of being an insider? But understand Ray is a color guy, not a reporter. It's not his job to break stories. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is that not the definition of being an insider? But understand Ray is a color guy, not a reporter. It's not his job to break stories. 

alumni and Sabres staff you said ..

I think there's like 3 people that are just in trade talks( owner,gm,Agm )

I think that's it and that's why nothing leaks 

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No, just spin uninteresting ones on-air haha

- - - 

All I can think of with Ray now is how much water he was carrying last year for Krueger every broadcast. Ray doesn't provide any information of value unless you want a direct line to the agendas the team is pushing. I suppose that's useful in it's way, but they are usually obvious anyways. 

10 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Can you list the times that Eichel has denigrated the Sabres organization the last several months?  And a frown emoji doesn't count.

You may have him confused with the majority of posters on this site or the rest of the fans, writers and hockey pundits of the NHL.

Can you list the times Johnny and his reps acted with an ounce of class during this fiasco? During his exit interview back in May, Johnny flat out lied about the “disconnect” between his doctors and the team doctors. Or how about the classless response by his team to KA’s assertion that the team is in control of the process by having the doctor in Colorado saying the disc replacement is perfectly ok, with the implication being that the Sabres were being punitive and hurting Johnny’s ability to get back on the ice quicker? Johnny needs to take that up with the NHLPA, anyway. They’ve done nothing but lower his trade value the entire time. The only thing I’ll give him credit for is firing his agent. 

No emojis necessary, sad or otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

The bold is completely unnecessary, and I'd wager to say the classification of Eichel and his reps spending "several months denigrating" the organization is a massive stretch. Eichel has said barely anything, in fact nothing outside of his end of year press conference, and his agents put out a statement that talks weren't going the way they wanted them to (which was indeed dumb). 

But they've hardly been taking shots at the organization for months. 

Just calling it like I see it. He comes off like an ungrateful, whiny little prick instead of looking for ways to be a part of the solution. Kinda like how acts as a captain on the ice. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Just calling it like I see it. He comes off like an ungrateful, whiny little prick instead of looking for ways to be a part of the solution. Kinda like how acts as a captain on the ice. 

I actually prefer your argument, that you've perceived him this way for a good long while (am I correct in saying that?) to the one below

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“I mean, listen, my No. 1 interest and my No. 1 goal is Jack Eichel, you know what I mean? You’ve got to look after yourself. You’ve got to look after what’s best for yourself.”

#ourcaptain

I'm not much for framing Jack's time as a Sabre based on a single uttered sentence 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shootica said:

Why is it unreasonable to so many folks here and in our local media that he may simply want disc replacement because studies have shown it to offer improved long-term quality of life compared to fusion?

He's a young, otherwise healthy person who I'd assume cares a lot about his body and health.  And fusion, to my knowledge, is not a reversible procedure.  If I was in that spot, I'd be very tempted by ADR as well.

I don't get why this has to be a big conspiracy in an attempt to force a trade, when the easy answer to me is that he simply is injured and wants a different procedure.  As has been reported.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your points.

Sure Jack Eichel has a preference in a surgical option but there are other treatment options as well.  But he has a guaranteed contract paid for the Sabres that requires him to be healthy and able to play hockey.  That's why the Sabres have a say in the treatment for the injury.  I would think that Eichel could void his contract if he really wanted to but it would be doubtful that he would receive another $10M contract right away with another team.  There are risks with any surgical option and the team needs to go through a risk assessment of each option and decide on the best option to pursue.

I don't think there's any conspiracy in this case.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:18 AM, dudacek said:

Three days later, the entire hockey world has convinced itself Jack Eichel used Media Day to drop a bomb on the Buffalo Sabres, basically telling the world without actually saying it that he wants out.

But what if that isn’t what actually happened?

Bear with me here.

Consider the mindset of an elite athlete, best of the best. Someone whose entire life has taught him that he’s invulnerable, a winner, an inevitable success story. Special.

Consider the mindset of Jack Eichel entering this season. You are coming off your best year, your game is in order. At times you’ve almost questioned yourself given the Sabres’ ineptitude, but you know it’s actually been the organization, and the supporting cast. The results haven’t been there yet, but you love the coach. You believe in him. And the new GM has brought in a Stanley Cup winner to back you up on the second line, some tested vets to improve the PK and a former MVP to ride shotgun on your line. This time it’s going to work.

But it doesn’t. 

Right from the get-go your game is off: sluggish, out of sync. When you look honestly into the mirror, it tells you that you suck. You don’t recognize what you see. Yes, you are carrying some injuries, but they aren’t enough to stop you from playing. You are Jack Eichel. Nothing stops you. Your coach, your guru, has no answers - for your struggles or his own. For maybe the first time in your life, you start to question yourself. “This is me not pulling my weight. This is me holding us back. This is my fault.”

And then you get really hurt. Not aches and pains hurt, not a give-it-a-month playground hurt. But a real injury, an adult injury, one that is not easily tackled by surgery or busting your butt in rehab. One that requires you to be patient and to wait. You don’t like to wait. You are stallion, you attack, you charge. 

But the doctors want to keep you in the stable.

You chafe. Sitting apart from your tribe and your passion during a pandemic, you start to consider the long-term consequences of a spinal cord injury. For maybe the first time ever you ponder the possibility of a world where you are not a world-class hockey player destined to adorn halls of fame and Stanley Cup legendariums. And you get restless. You get scared.

You pour your being into researching your condition and you find a type of disc replacement surgery that has worked with MMA fighters. It can fix the problem and get you back into rehab in a matter of weeks. You can be ready to be prime Jack Eichel in the fall, to reclaim your birthright. You start to obsess. Action. It’s what you crave. It’s what you need to reclaim your identity in a season that has mercilessly stripped it away.

You march into your season-ending meeting with the GM and you lay this all out on the table. “This is what I want to do, and I want to do it now.” Kevyn Adams listens politely. “I hear you, but the doctors said we were going to  give it three months and that is what we’re going to do. We’ll talk in June.

You aren’t used to “no.” And you especially aren’t used to it in the context of something so precious, something that means so much.

And, as you try to process, Adams takes control. He wants to have “an honest, hard conversation.”

“Jack we have to fix this. We know you had a tough season, and we know there are reasons, but we need you to be better. We need to get better. We have to figure out who is going to bleed blue and gold every single day, and who is not. We are going to look at anything and everything, and that includes possibly trading away pieces of our core. That even includes considering trading you. I can’t predict what is going to happen, but there will be changes.”

They march you out to meet the media.

Consider that back story. Sit down and watch the tape again.

Tell me what you see.

This is still the best take, as far as I am concerned. And it came early. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I actually prefer your argument, that you've perceived him this way for a good long while (am I correct in saying that?) to the one below

I'm not much for framing Jack's time as a Sabre based on a single uttered sentence 

I’ve perceived his lack of captaincy material from his rookie year. But I never held that against him as there are plenty of great players who aren’t captain material and vice versa.

My perception of him being an ungrateful prick began with his exit presser in May. And he flat out misrepresented the “disconnect” between his doctors and the team’s, so I question his character in that regard as well. He couldn’t have done a better job of sabotaging his trade prospects and he and his team saw fit to persist with that tactic all summer, at least until he saw fit to fire his agent. 

It doesn’t matter that they didn’t say much, it matters that what they did say was damaging to the team’s ability to maximize his trade value. And the stunt with the doctor in Colorado in response to KA’s assertion that the team was in control of the process was classless as well. 

• Like (+1) 1