Sabres Identity: Hardworking, Relentless with Speed.

LGR4GM

KA has no other choice but to go full rebuild, it’s not like we have anything to lose at this point. FA hasn’t worked, and we certainly don’t want him to go NYI Mike Milbury mode and try to win now. So this is where we’re at. I like the sound of hard working. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

You are right to an extent, but you could say this about any positive quality.  It just depends on what positive qualities are emphasized the most.

For example, Murray definitely did not focus on creating a fast team.  I’m sure he though it was a good thing if players were fast, but it wasn’t one of the top things he emphasized.

He wanted a team that played up tempo though.  Another way of saying playing with speed.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

He wanted a team that played up tempo though.  Another way of saying playing with speed.

He acquired a lot more big physical players than fast ones.

Everyone will say they want to play fast, because of course you do.  But are they actually focusing on acquiring fast players?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

He acquired a lot more big physical players than fast ones.

Everyone will say they want to play fast, because of course you do.  But are they actually focusing on acquiring fast players?

Hineystroka, Butcher and Pysyk all offer speed.  I can’t think of any slow players on the team not named Okposo.  Everyone else can get on their horse.  

42 minutes ago, inkman said:

Hineystroka, Butcher and Pysyk all offer speed.  I can’t think of any slow players on the team not named Okposo.  Everyone else can get on their horse.  

Sorry.  We were talking about Timothy “ZFG” Murray.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And garbage goaltending.  Hope they plan on not allowing more than 20 shots a game, otherwise we have pretty much zero chance of winning games with our current lineup of over the hill goalies, journeymen and unknown youngsters.

It's almost like we are in another rebuild and this is a building year. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It's almost like we are in another rebuild and this is a building year. 

Are UPL and Levi the goalies you want to build around? They're not even NHL ready as of today.  UPL has not fared well in limited professional games and Levi, still very young.

23 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Since November 12th 2011, the Sabres have truly lacked any type of real identity. Both in who they project themselves to be and who they are on the ice. Many of us have complained for years that this team lacked heart. It appears that there is an identity that at least management has in mind. We have heard this elsewhere and we can make jokes about "players wanting to be here" but there is a clear focus after this draft and how they have approached UFA. They are focusing on hard work, relentless attacking with speed. Now a lot of teams want these qualities but I will be curious to see if the Sabres follow through and acquire players that personify this. Their draft gives us some what of an indication that they do indeed have a player type. Peterka, Quinn, Poltapov, Rosen, and even Kisakov are all fast players who have notable work ethics on the ice. 

Anyways it is summer and I found this quote interesting from Hinostroza since he spoke with Granato so long and this was the take away. 

The identity for 10 years had been mentally and physically weak, organizationally dysfunctional, and directionless.  

Hardworking, relentless and fast - Sounds like what the Islanders did in four years time except they added “physically tough” into their mix.  Look at what proven Front Office leadership can accomplish.  

For Buffalo, until all of these hardworking, relentless, fast guys develop and come of age in the NHL they will need players on the team RIGHT NOW that can help stop the habitual losing.  I’m not sure they have addressed that this off season.  

In the past 10 years we have sorely lacked: (1) drafting and player development, (2) coaching, (3) the ability to bring in high character veteran players to support a young team, and (4) goaltending.  

Adams is addressing the first two and it will take several years to see results.  There has been less emphasis on items 3 and 4 which may make next season very hard to watch at times.  

• Like (+1) 1

So does this mean no more low-event hockey, as an overall strategy?

I can get with that.

What was that other odious term that Bylsma and maybe even Housley used? "Small ice"? "Small space"? Something like that. The idea seemed to be to get the game to occur in isolated areas, in isolated moments. It just seemed to create such dull, dull hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Are UPL and Levi the goalies you want to build around? They're not even NHL ready as of today.  UPL has not fared well in limited professional games and Levi, still very young.

I feel like everyone forgets about the best goalie in the Sabres system, because it isn't either of the two you mentioned. 

51 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The identity for 10 years had been mentally and physically weak, organizationally dysfunctional, and directionless.  

Hardworking, relentless and fast - Sounds like what the Islanders did in four years time except they added “physically tough” into their mix.  Look at what proven Front Office leadership can accomplish.  

For Buffalo, until all of these hardworking, relentless, fast guys develop and come of age in the NHL they will need players on the team RIGHT NOW that can help stop the habitual losing.  I’m not sure they have addressed that this off season.  

In the past 10 years we have sorely lacked: (1) drafting and player development, (2) coaching, (3) the ability to bring in high character veteran players to support a young team, and (4) goaltending.  

Adams is addressing the first two and it will take several years to see results.  There has been less emphasis on items 3 and 4 which may make next season very hard to watch at times.  

I eye rolled this. "Habitual losing" goes with that culture of losing nonsense ppl believe in. You have a culture of losing when you don't have enough talent to win. 

Edited by LGR4GM

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I feel like everyone forgets about the best goalie in the Sabres system, because it isn't either of the two you mentioned.

Serious question:  Portillo will be a junior at Michigan in the Fall.  If he sticks around for his senior season, he becomes a UFA, correct?  Given the state of the Sabres, plus the fact that there are 2 other young goalies in their system, there would seem to be a real risk that he bails on the Sabres like Cal Peterson did, innit?

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question:  Portillo will be a junior at Michigan in the Fall.  If he sticks around for his senior season, he becomes a UFA, correct?  Given the state of the Sabres, plus the fact that there are 2 other young goalies in their system, there would seem to be a real risk that he bails on the Sabres like Cal Peterson did, innit?

That is not correct. Erik Portillo will be a sophomore. 

Link: https://mgoblue.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster/erik-portillo/22203

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Talent and goaltending would be a great identity for this team. We are severely lacking in both right now.

My feeling too. So, I can;t help but wonder if we continue yet another rebuild and give away Jack after having given away Sam do we have anywhere near enough talent to even be competitive in the near future? We certainly have no one to replace Sam's consistent year-after-year games played, goals scored and points and also his leadership qualities (he led by playing hard every shift of every game and performing at both end's of the ice). Next I have no doubt Jack will be gone for a underwhelming package of various hockey-related things that will not include anybody capable of coming near to rep;lacing what he delivered and what he can deliver when and if healthy. What will be left? Young guys that skate hard and try hard and  other then that  there is nobody to be a star and to lead the team. Seems to be some good hopeful prospects but  that does not equate necessarily to a NHL career as we all know. 

To try and compare any rebuild with other team is dangerous and/or useless as teams that do rebuilds typically have one or two clear stars to lead the team. Can anybody say who will be these two for the Sabres?  I was hoping Sam & Jack but when they are gone I don;pt see anybody even close to them two.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

Answer to the question is, we don’t know yet.  I doubt that UPL will be the primary, maybe even secondary, goalie.

Adams made a decision not to invest heavily in goaltending, probably because he doesn’t think the team will be very good anyway.

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

On the other hand, with Ullmark gone he has an excellent chance to step in at starter right outta the gate.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I eye rolled this. "Habitual losing" goes with that culture of losing nonsense ppl believe in. You have a culture of losing when you don't have enough talent to win. 

I rolled my eyes at the bolded.     The culture of losing goes beyond talent.   The organization was been poorly run for a long time.  

We had talent that has come and gone -  enough talent to get out of the basement.  Much if it was wasted by inexperienced GMs and poor coaches.   Losing can become a habit and an expectation, we are living it. 

I hope Adams can change it.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I rolled my eyes at the bolded.     The culture of losing goes beyond talent.   The organization was been poorly run for a long time.  

We had talent that has come and gone -  enough talent to get out of the basement.  Much if it was wasted by inexperienced GMs and poor coaches.   Losing can become a habit and an expectation, we are living it. 

I hope Adams can change it.  

Cool we don't agree. This is just bs. 

The truth is understanding what needs to go into off the ice work to win is what we lost and the Sabres are adding the correct veterans and not a gargantuan gambler, a nose candy connoisseur, and a drink driving drunkard. Not some nebulous, losing is acceptable bs. 

“Hardworking, relentless with speed” sort of reminds me of how the GLO/LOG line played. 

I think Larry even had some quote about their only mission on the ice was “attacking the puck” or “wanting the puck back” whenever they didn’t have possession of it. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cool we don't agree. This is just bs. 

The truth is understanding what needs to go into off the ice work to win is what we lost and the Sabres are adding the correct veterans and not a gargantuan gambler, a nose candy connoisseur, and a drink driving drunkard. Not some nebulous, losing is acceptable bs. 

I read my original post. Your comment above about adding the right vets is actually in agreement with me on the inadequacies of past GMs.  

But you seem to get something out of arguing about trivial things like the habitual losing comment.  Players are leaving here for that very reason, for a chance to break the losing.   Yet you say it’s BS.   

Some people here can disagree amicably, without the  eye-roll and bs comments.  If you think I am wrong its ok.