Sabres Identity: Hardworking, Relentless with Speed.

LGR4GM

For the record, I don't think it's just lip service.

I think GMKA is starting "The Process" like Beane did with the Bills.

I'm choosing to let it play out a while before I get too judgemental about the success or failure of his plan. 

Now, can Dylan Cozens be for the Sabres what Josh Allen is for the Bills? 

If not, who?

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Norcal said:

For the record, I don't think it's just lip service.

I think GMKA is starting "The Process" like Beane did with the Bills.

I'm choosing to let it play out a while before I get too judgemental about the success or failure of his plan. 

Now, can Dylan Cozens be for the Sabres what Josh Allen is for the Bills? 

If not, who?

Cozens seems more like your Tre White comparable. Either Power or whomever we draft this year would be Allen. Or, maybe Dahlin.

Just now, WildCard said:

Cozens seems more like your Tre White comparable. Either Power or whomever we draft this year would be Allen. Or, maybe Dahlin.

Oh yeah, Power and Dahlin as Allen and Diggs. I can dig it. 

44 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The first thing I think of when they want this kind of hockey is lack of skill.  A team doesn't need the most skilled players to be competitive in this set up. Not saying their not wanting skill with it, but a bunch of Matt Ellis hockey players on your team is what I am picturing for the next year or two. It will get them competing on a nightly basis and have a good work ethic environment.

No, but how do you give your talented players like Mittelstadt and Dahlin a chance? By having your less talented players bust tail forcing turnovers.

45 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

If the Sabres put up another 18 game losing streak, do you think Granato gets canned?

Are we rooting for this?

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

They're filling the pipeline with those players, but that does next to nothing for this season and probably next as well. Typically this is all and good with a rebuild/retool; but the risk of alienating the fan base is very high with this method after a decade of futility. 

Honestly, I would argue that, at this point, most any fan who is going to be “alienated” and adjust their spending habits accordingly has already done so.

That may not be 100% true, as everyone has a different breaking point, but I would think it’s mostly true.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Not at all.  In my mind.

The last 5 years has all fused into a blur of boring, uninspired hockey. I honestly don't remember any specifics of Housley brand hockey.

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No, but how do you give your talented players like Mittelstadt and Dahlin a chance? By having your less talented players bust tail forcing turnovers.

Are we rooting for this?

I'm certainly not, however, with the lack of talent, goaltending and toughness on the current roster I can see this team spiraling somewhere in the middle of the season. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the team is fine. They have forwards that can score, the defense is a work in progress but with talent. 

But, the goaltending will make this all a moot point. They can play great and the goalie gives up a softy or two and they loose but fans will blame the coach, Dahlin, VO will be too soft, and all that. 

Holding out hope that a goaltender who can play is part of any Eichel deal. 

7 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The last 5 years has all fused into a blur of boring, uninspired hockey. I honestly don't remember any specifics of Housley brand hockey.

With Housley, they usually played very “open” with the D often joining in the attack.  With Krueger it was quite the opposite.  It seemed the D were not allowed to join a rush or skate the puck past the red line.

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Where's the KA "What is a Buffalo Sabre?" mission statement? Does it line up with this philosophy?

283429A6-FDD5-44DF-ADB6-1AF849BC644E.jpeg

It aligns in a sense, but the mission statement was more about mindset and off ice than on ice style of play.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SDS said:

To add onto this, I will say that “wanting to be here“ aren’t just words from Adams. I think him and Granato are going to succeed in making the environment relatively attractive for players. I don’t know if the wins will come, but it won’t be a toxic place.

Wanting to be here is nice and all but I really want to see how the new players answer The Question:  Blue Cheese or Ranch?

29 minutes ago, Curt said:

Honestly, I would argue that, at this point, most any fan who is going to be “alienated” and adjust their spending habits accordingly has already done so.

That may not be 100% true, as everyone has a different breaking point, but I would think it’s mostly true.

I am glass half full: when fans see the effort and the wins come, they will flock back to the FNC.

• Like (+1) 1

What NHL team doesn't have a stated goal of being tenacious and playing with speed? 

Without the horses it is meaningless because every other team in the league is also striving for relentless speed.  I suppose it gives the fans something positive to chew on until November or so.

2 hours ago, Ice Cold said:

Well it's a marked improvement over their previous strategy of seeking out and acquiring slow, lazy, quitters, I'll say that for them.

You lived up to your name.

Welcome to the board.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

You need solid goaltending to support this kind of hockey to mask over the skill deficit. 

We don't have solid goaltending and it's going to be ugly this year.

Losing but putting up a fight, might just get you Shayne Wright.  Still a WIP.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SDS said:

To add onto this, I will say that “wanting to be here“ aren’t just words from Adams. I think him and Granato are going to succeed in making the environment relatively attractive for players. I don’t know if the wins will come, but it won’t be a toxic place.

Picking the “Right” Captain is going to be crucial in setting the tone for the organization for turning the culture around!

2 hours ago, Weave said:

What NHL team doesn't have a stated goal of being tenacious and playing with speed? 

Without the horses it is meaningless because every other team in the league is also striving for relentless speed.  I suppose it gives the fans something positive to chew on until November or so.

You are right to an extent, but you could say this about any positive quality.  It just depends on what positive qualities are emphasized the most.

For example, Murray definitely did not focus on creating a fast team.  I’m sure he though it was a good thing if players were fast, but it wasn’t one of the top things he emphasized.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Sounds more like Beniers than Power.    🤔

Everything about Power screams this mentality, and that's coming from a guy that didn't want to take Power. Not that Beniers isn't that as well, but Power definitely is.