Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This entire forum is over obsessed with Quinn playing center.

I'd agree with that. The franchise is not deep at center so it makes sense to experiment with developing prospects and if it works great but it's far from a real thing one way or the other.

Personally I think Cozens would be a better winger than center and an eventual line with Quinn at center and Cozens on his wing might be a pretty interesting combo. But who knows. Quinn has to make the NHL first and Cozens still has a ways to go himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While this may be true it still flows from the lack of centers.  If Quinn had a good center to play with to get him the puck on a consistent basis I sincerely doubt he be playing center right now.

Well, any center KA would have drafted wasn’t gonna be ready for a while anyway, so it’s not like Quinn is missing out on some golden opportunity to skate on the wing of some can’t miss center prospect. In the meantime, if Quinn pans out, then that wait to develop an nhl center is mitigated. 

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW it was the Ottawa 67’s Plan to move Quinn for Center last year before the OHL was shutdown. 

I think that’s worth a lot in terms of pointing towards a wider circle seeing the same thing Sabres coaches are seeing. It’s a shame that the pandemic short-circuited the plan. 

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What in the last decade has given you any indication that this team has any idea what they are doing?  Had we done a better job of draft and developing, we might even have a good team by now. 

The latest genius to inhabit the GM's office, KA, has drafted 7 wingers and 1 D in the 1st 3 rounds of the last 2 drafts.  In addition to not drafting centers, we have a pipeline with zero quality centers outside of guys who have graduated to full time NHL duty.  

Simply put we lack talent at center in the pipeline.  Am I not surprised that are experimenting with one of the wingers at center.  No I'm not surprised.  My point is it wouldn't be necessary has management done their job properly in the first place.  Quinn was drafted to be a sniper and that is what he should be doing.  Had they wanted a center they should have drafted Rossi or Perfetti.  

Honestly this experiment is further proof that they don't have a clue.

Pretty sure that Mathews is a sniper & a C.  The 2 roles aren't absolutely exclusive.

And, really, whether a guy is a C or a W is far more important in the defensive zone.

On 9/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, LGR4GM said:

This entire forum is over obsessed with Quinn playing center.

I saw a report that Chicago is trying Lukas Reichel at center too.  As you know he was a linemate for JJ Peterka at the WJC for Germany.  So yes other teams try the same with players that they think can switch.

20 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

So what is the MHL then, like juniors?

Yes, but unlike here they are affiliated with a parent club in the VHL or KHL.  The VHL is like the AHL except most of the teams are independent and not affiliated with a specific KHL team.  The below article should help explain the leagues 

https://thewincolumn.ca/2020/11/02/a-comprehensive-guide-to-all-the-major-hockey-leagues-outside-north-america/

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/26/2021 at 8:06 AM, Buffalonill said:

Portillo is going to be the next miller for this franchise I'm pretty excited 

pump the brakes kid... he just as likely could be the next Andrey Makarov.

that said, yeah, it's nice to have some goalies in the stable, but they're probably the most difficult position to forecast

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.