Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

On 7/25/2021 at 9:58 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

My rules - 24 and under and still waiver exempt. Just to clarify, I look at time to the NHL as well as upside.  

1. Power (obviously)

2. Cozens

3. R2

4. JJP

5. Quinn

6. Rosen

7. UPL

8. Poltapov

9. Samuelsson

10. Johnson

11. Kisakov

12. Levi

13. Bryson

14. Portillo

15. Laaksonen

16. Weissbach

17. Nadeau

18. Murray

19. Marjala

20. Rousek

21. Sardarian

22. Bloom

23. Huglen

24. Biro

25. Kukkonen

26. Novikov

This was my rating before camp began.  

So who impressed and who didn't 

I thought R2, JJP, Murray and Weissbach impressed.  I think Cozens needs more work. Is JJP now the no 2. prospect behind Power?  

I think Bryson somewhat disappointed as well.  UPL also had a rough camp.  Quinn looked ok with the upside coming.

In juniors it looks like Poltapov, Kisakov, and Novikov are of to hot starts.  

Top 10 - Power, JJP, Cozens, R2, Quinn, Poltapov, Samuelsson, Rosen, Johnson, Kisakov

Next 10- Levi, Portillo, UPL, Weissbach, Bryson, Laaksonen, Murray, Nadeau, Marjala, Novikov

Others - Rousek, Huglen, Sardarian, Bloom, Biro, Kukkonen

Not rankings per se, just players who have caught my eye as being better than where Sabrespace and/or outside consensus has them rated: Poltapov, Levi, Samuelsson, Power

Players I worry might not be as good as their reputations: Cozens, Rosen, UPL, Portillo.

Not sure where to put JJ in this list because I think expectations are changing; he’s been much more advanced than I expected, but I do worry he might follow a similar path to Cozens in terms of the growing hype exceeding his development pace. Are people now thinking he’s going to be Mike Gartner?

Development is never straight and always interesting to watch.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This was my rating before camp began.  

So who impressed and who didn't 

I thought R2, JJP, Murray and Weissbach impressed.  I think Cozens needs more work. Is JJP now the no 2. prospect behind Power?  

I think Bryson somewhat disappointed as well.  UPL also had a rough camp.  Quinn looked ok with the upside coming.

In juniors it looks like Poltapov, Kisakov, and Novikov are of to hot starts.  

Top 10 - Power, JJP, Cozens, R2, Quinn, Poltapov, Samuelsson, Rosen, Johnson, Kisakov

Next 10- Levi, Portillo, UPL, Weissbach, Bryson, Laaksonen, Murray, Nadeau, Marjala, Novikov

Others - Rousek, Huglen, Sardarian, Bloom, Biro, Kukkonen

We really, really need some high-end centres in the system. Lots of promise at the other positions. We may not have a prospective 1C in the entire system. 

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We really, really need some high-end centres in the system. Lots of promise at the other positions. We may not have a prospective 1C in the entire system. 

I've been saying that for months and have been roundly criticized for it.  People here seem to think that converting Quinn and Thompson solves the problem.  Maybe we should draft some centers and see what happens instead.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Players I worry might not be as good as their reputations: Cozens, Rosen, UPL, Portillo,

I think we need to pump the breaks on Cozens. Last year was a weird year and under normal circumstances, he would’ve had a whole year in Rochester. Making the jump from Juniors (where he was lighting it up)  to the NHL is a tall task. He should be developed properly and get some real playing time in Rochester this year. Maybe he can be a late year call up. 

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've been saying that for months and have been roundly criticized for it.  People here seem to think that converting Quinn and Thompson solves the problem.  Maybe we should draft some centers and see what happens instead.

I'm not sure how many think this, aside from the possible exception of KA, etc. Aside from the few who have already taken whatever they hoped Jack would become and heaped that hope and a prayer, and expectation, straight over to Dylan Cozens, I think many are just kinda accepting of the fact the org is looking towards the next draft to add the C pieces. 

I agree with you they need the pieces, and waiting so long to add is indeed rolling the dice, but the timeline has kind of been bumped back, in perception 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

With Fitzgerald now on the Rochester Shuttle, I think we and me specifically need to reassess his NHL potential.  Going into this camp I thought he was an AHL lifer.  However the news reports seem to imply that he nearly made the team.  This suggests there is more to his game then I thought based on his results in Rochester.  

I still don't think he is anything more then a depth NHL D, but I have to rank him now in the top 20 prospects considering I left him off the initial list completely.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@dudacek

Now you know why I think Nadeau is a better draft pick and better player then the 2 guys drafted in the 3rd round by the Sabres.

He’s certainly seems ahead of them now in terms of development. But it’s early and we haven’t seen the other two play yet in juniors. 

You have to consider Bloom missed the entire year last year and Sardarian battled COVID. They’ve got some catching up to do.

From watching him in camp, I worry about Nadeau’s feet. His battle and his hockey sense look good.

All three have very interesting elements and I’d rank them similarly. They were picked within 10 picks of each other.

It was the Sabres most intriguing draft in years.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.