Bold takes: opinions Sabrespace won’t agree with

dudacek

Here are five takes I have that I’m sure many of you will disagree with:

• Linus Ullmark is a legitimate top 20 NHL starter
  • Rasmus Ristolainen is a better asset than Will Borgen and the Seattle Kraken agree with me.
  • Tage Thompson will score 20 goals one year in the NHL.
  • Max Comtois would be a better return piece in an Eichel trade than Alex Tuch or Alex Turcotte.
  • Owen Power will not be the Sabres pick at 1st overall.

Things are about to get interesting. Go on record with some of yours.

• Like (+1) 1

yeah
negligibly maybe, but irrelevant to the issue at hand (and I like Risto more than most)
in the next few years it's definitely possible, but it would be because he is playing above where he should be on a Sabres team where someone has to score the goals
I can't try to guess at this one but it feels definitely possible, but it feels equally possible that either of the other two guys could be better
I hope so, but I do think they take him

Mine:
Brayden McNabb and Will Borgen will have carbon copy NHL careers on the ice, including an eyebrow-raising release from the Sabres organization - Will so they can keep a guy they trade for a 4th and a 5th at the trade deadline of another playoff-less season
For about 1.5 seasons Larsson was the best Sabres fourth liner since Gaustad. That doesn't mean he'll be as effective elsewhere
UPL will never be a good NHL goalie
The Sabres will win the Jack Eichel trade looking back at it in 20 years
Analytics are taken as a monolith onto which hockey truths are etched by the vast majority of fans who have a positive view of them, to the detriment of those fans' understanding of hockey. This is despite those fans taking great care to qualify what they say to shroud this fact. This type of behavior surrounds any topic and issue we attempt to quantify in this world. Analytics are kind of neat, largely uninteresting, and if you can watch every game of the team/player you care about you can easily outstrip the value they bring on your own with a little bit of effort. Some people who build and/or understand the modeling at a core level, and could teach advanced statistics courses, can be exempt from this point, except they're usually insufferable in other ways

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Here are five takes I have that I’m sure many of you will disagree with:

• Linus Ullmark is a legitimate top 20 NHL starter - Okay, I can see this.
  • Rasmus Ristolainen is a better asset than Will Borgen and the Seattle Kraken agree with me. - You may be right. I look forward to a full camp under Granato to finally use players correctly.
  • Tage Thompson will score 20 goals one year in the NHL. - AGREED! Guy could be a beast.
  • Max Comtois would be a better return piece in an Eichel trade than Alex Tuch or Alex Turcotte. - No opnion.
  • Owen Power will not be the Sabres pick at 1st overall. - Also no opinion. I'm not a draft guy.

Things are about to get interesting. Go on record with some of yours.

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Risto will be exposed to draft and Seattle won’t take him. 

Borgen stays ...though. He is no Brayden McNabb 

Rob Ray on the Instigators said just the opposite. Risto would absolutely be taken by the Kraks. He said NHL personnel people are much higher on him than fans.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Rob Ray on the Instigators said just the opposite. Risto would absolutely be taken by the Kraks. He said NHL personnel people are much higher on him than fans.

Oh, I love Risto, it is that he only has a year left on contract. I’d rather lose him for a year than Borgen for several. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Oh, I love Risto, it is that he only has a year left on contract. I’d rather lose him for a year than Borgen for several. 

Yup. I literally don't care how good risto or borgen are or are perceived right now. You cannot complete the risto mismanagement by squandering one last asset or potential asset before he happily bolts as soon as he can 

• Like (+1) 3

Risto is a good second pairing defensemen.

The Sabres need defensemen and Owen Power is only one part of the makeover needed there.

Liger is Beniers mom.

The team SHOULD trade Eichel.

Victor Olofsson is a player winning teams should want.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Hoss said:

Risto is a good second pairing defensemen.

The Sabres need defensemen and Owen Power is only one part of the makeover needed there.

Liger is Beniers mom.

Beniers isn't my top guy and might not be my top 2

40 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

yeah
negligibly maybe, but irrelevant to the issue at hand (and I like Risto more than most)
in the next few years it's definitely possible, but it would be because he is playing above where he should be on a Sabres team where someone has to score the goals
I can't try to guess at this one but it feels definitely possible, but it feels equally possible that either of the other two guys could be better
I hope so, but I do think they take him

Mine:
Brayden McNabb and Will Borgen will have carbon copy NHL careers on the ice, including an eyebrow-raising release from the Sabres organization - Will so they can keep a guy they trade for a 4th and a 5th at the trade deadline of another playoff-less season
For about 1.5 seasons Larsson was the best Sabres fourth liner since Gaustad. That doesn't mean he'll be as effective elsewhere
Analytics are taken as a monolith onto which hockey truths are etched by the vast majority of fans who have a positive view of them, to the detriment of those fans' understanding of hockey. This is despite those fans taking great care to qualify what they say to shroud this fact. This type of behavior surrounds any topic and issue we attempt to quantify in this world. Analytics are kind of neat, largely uninteresting, and if you can watch every game of the team/player you care about you can easily outstrip the value they bring on your own with a little bit of effort. Some people who build and/or understand the modeling at a core level, and could teach advanced statistics courses, can be exempt from this point, except they're usually insufferable in other ways

This paragraph structure is making me upset 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Beniers isn't my top guy and might not be my top 2

Did he ask dad for permission after you said no?

(this is playful sarcasm please don’t be mad)

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Jack Eichel will play for the Sabres in their season opener for the 2021-22 season.

He will.

Edited by Hoss

41 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Disagree,  but fantastic addition

Dont know if they will, but they could. Great test of Kevyn Adams

If I had a Hall of Fame for Sabrespace posts, this would be in it. Outstanding.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

well done. Should have it’s own thread.

The current Olofsson narrative of disposable luxury player needs a good kick in the teeth.

Borgen will develop into a respectable NHL defenseman, but it will be for the Sabres, as KA figures out a way to get Seattle not to take him.

Eichel will be traded this summer for KA's bare minimum, and most here will be between PO'd and outraged at the return.

Reino and Risto will also be traded this summer.  For most here, the return will be disappointing for Reino and OK for Risto.  Both will go on to be very solid players for their new teams, albeit a bit expensive.

@Weave is correct that the Sabres will be better next year without Eichel, Reino and Risto.

KA will bring in 1, but not 2, real NHL goalies.  Ullmark will leave in FA.

Olofsson is a good, and improving, NHL forward.

Artuu will develop into a no-BS top-6 winger, and in so doing will turn out to be a low-key very good move by JB.

The Sabres will draft Power #1.

KA is a very savvy guy who has seen a ton of the NHL from different perspectives and will turn out to be a good GM.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think the Olofsson discussion could be a more interesting thread since the Eichel stuff just boils down to me thinking he doesn’t want to be here and that this team needs A LOT. It’s the reason I used to advocate for the Mariners to trade Felix Hernandez in his prime or other similar situations where a team treads water despite having what is viewed as a bonafide star at the top.

Linus Ullmark is a taller, blonder, less gregarious Marty Biron - aka bottom 1/3 starter, top backup.

This team will be a solid regular playoff qualifyer in 3 years regardless of how the "big 3" deals pan out.  

This team will make the playoffs this year if the keep the big 3 and bring back McCabe & Ullmark and add Danault & another Ullmark.

Eichel will never exceed 75 games and will average 70 games moving forward.  Would still keep him.

In 3 years it'll be obvious that the Sabres ended up with the 3rd or 4th best player in this year's draft.

Ristolainen will be missed when he is gone.

Jokiharju will be a 5.

Adams will be the 1st Sabres GM since Regier to last more than 3 years.

Dunleavy will be the full time replacement for RJ starting in the '22-'23 season.

Skinner's issue was the knee was nagging & he'll be back in the low 20's this year on the 2nd line.  He'll still be worthless on the PP.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.