Owen Power Wants to Be a Sabre.

Eleven

https://www.nhl.com/news/owen-power-would-be-honored-to-be-drafted-by-buffalo-sabres/c-325628446

"Nice and close to home," the top-rated defenseman prospect told TSN on Friday. "I know they've got a rich history. It would be an honor to play for them and to get drafted by them."

Power grew up in Mississauga, Ontario, which is less than 90 miles from Buffalo. He interviewed with the Sabres for the first time Thursday.

"Yeah, I would love to be a part of it," the 18-year-old said.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/owen-power-would-be-honored-to-be-drafted-by-buffalo-sabres/c-325628446

"Nice and close to home," the top-rated defenseman prospect told TSN on Friday. "I know they've got a rich history. It would be an honor to play for them and to get drafted by them."

Power grew up in Mississauga, Ontario, which is less than 90 miles from Buffalo. He interviewed with the Sabres for the first time Thursday.

"Yeah, I would love to be a part of it," the 18-year-old said.

It shouldn't be a surprise that any highly rated prospect would prefer to be the top pick rather than a lower pick. The point that was made that interested me more is that Buffalo is a location that is close to where a lot of hockey players come from. If Buffalo can get its act together and function as a well run operation and become a serious franchise, Buffalo could become a preferred destination for a lot of players. Skinner made it known that when he was on the market that being close to home and family was a factor in signing a long term deal here. 

Buffalo currently has a well deserved reputation for being a second-rate organization. However, I'm cautiously optimistic that KA is step by step restoring some order and stability to the operation. So far he has made a series of sound decisions in staffing that indicate that. You don't have to agree with every decision that is being made but it seems there is some thoughtfulness and coherency behind them. That's encouraging. 

And I continue to maintain that Power should be our first pick. The more I read the draft analysts' opinions on this year's crop of players the more entrenched I am about my position. 

• Like (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It shouldn't be a surprise that any highly rated prospect would prefer to be the top pick rather than a lower pick. The point that was made that interested me more is that Buffalo is a location that is close to where a lot of hockey players come from. If Buffalo can get its act together and function as a well run operation and become a serious franchise, Buffalo could become a preferred destination for a lot of players. Skinner made it known that when he was on the market that being close to home and family was a factor in signing a long term deal here. 

Buffalo currently has a well deserved reputation for being a second-rate organization. However, I'm cautiously optimistic that KA is step by step restoring some order and stability to the operation. So far he has made a series of sound decisions in staffing that indicate that. You don't have to agree with every decision that is being made but it seems there is some thoughtfulness and coherency behind them. That's encouraging. 

And I continue to maintain that Power should be our first pick. The more I read the draft analysts' opinions on this year's crop of players the more entrenched I am about my position. 

I agree with all of this, but I think it needs to be emphasised that your point of 'currently' is most important.  

I am not saying that in the past many players had Buffalo on the top of their lists of desired teams to play for, but up until 10 years ago it was, mostly, a well run franchise.  And good players came to play here willingly.

I also agree that Power should be the Sabres first pick.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I agree with all of this, but I think it needs to be emphasised that your point of 'currently' is most important.  

I am not saying that in the past many players had Buffalo on the top of their lists of desired teams to play for, but up until 10 years ago it was, mostly, a well run franchise.  And good players came to play here willingly.

I also agree that Power should be the Sabres first pick.

Are you sure you want to publicly admit that Power should be our first pick? You realize that you are now more likely to be stalked by the local posse. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

Are you sure you want to publicly admit that Power should be our first pick? You realize that you are now more likely to be stalked by the local posse. 

I know all the local yokels and they don't scare me atoll.

*WITH THE FIRST PICK IN THE 2021 ENTRY DRAFT THE BUFFALO SABRES ARE PLEASED TO SELECT OWEN POWER*

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I know all the local yokels and they don't scare me atoll.

*WITH THE FIRST PICK IN THE 2021 ENTRY DRAFT THE BUFFALO SABRES ARE PLEASED TO SELECT OWEN POWER*

What you may not be aware of that there are plenty of yokels that aren't local. They are ubiquitous and can't all be accounted for. And when someone yells duck it is not because of a bird dropping a turd on your head. For your own safety and security keep your guard up. And for heaven's sake don't say anything positive about Risto. The mob will be aroused into action. ☠️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Besides the capitalization, I would quibble with the word Wants. I would be honored to accept a free trip to Hawaii. I don't want to go there though.

We're so desperate for approval.

Still, all in all it's a good and expected message from a potential top pick after an interview.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Besides the capitalization, I would quibble with the word Wants. I would be honored to accept a free trip to Hawaii. I don't want to go there though.

We're so desperate for approval.

Still, all in all it's a good and expected message from a potential top pick after an interview.

Not gonna lie, given this team’s current reputation I’m a bit leery of drafting a player that has the option to simple stay in school a little longer and leave a free agent.  Hearing Power say he’d be honored to be drafted by the Sabres is a bit of a relief for me.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I know we’re a decade+ removed from it but this franchise was once among the best in the league despite not winning any cups. Among the top four/five in all-time winning percentage prior to this stretch of stench.

Just now, Hoss said:

I know we’re a decade+ removed from it but this franchise was once among the best in the league despite not winning any cups. Among the top four/five in all-time winning percentage prior to this stretch of stench.

Stink, Stank, Stunk. 🤢

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

It sounds like Owen want to "be here."  Just like Dylan Cozens, Casey Mittelstadt, and Tage Thompson.

It's important players want to be here...until they hit UFA or even RFA.  😉

Only Owen knows where he prefers to be drafted and maybe where he prefers to eventually play.

We have no evidence it's Buffalo.

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Only Owen knows where he prefers to be drafted and maybe where he prefers to eventually play.

We have no evidence it's Buffalo.

We do have evidence that it’s Buffalo. This thread/his comments in the OP are evidence. Now that evidence could be an impermissible lie but I feel like it’s unlikely. The kid would probably love to stay close to home and go down as a first overall pick.

19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Don't want an average defenseman first overall 

Nothing about him indicates he’ll be average. We get it, Guenther is all you want.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.