Terry Pegula wants Owen Power.

Buffalonill

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

No. It’s just the fact that Pegula’s still giving his 2 cents on any hockey talent. It’s ludacrisp.

More like Ludefisk.

I know it's not like SabreSpace to overreact to things, but isn't there a difference between giving 2-cents and ordering your GM to make a move? And in this case he's liking the consensus #1 pick. It's not like he's telling KA to draft his dog Sidney.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

More like Ludefisk.

I know it's not like SabreSpace to overreact to things, but isn't there a difference between giving 2-cents and ordering your GM to make a move? And in this case he's liking the consensus #1 pick. It's not like he's telling KA to draft his dog Sidney.

Of course. But you have to ask what is his intent in expressing an opinion, getting briefed on prospects, meeting with the GM, sitting at the draft table, etc. I am being told it has no meaning, implication or bearing on anything. He's doing it for shits and giggles because he owns a team. I don't buy that. He's influencing the process. His reputation precedes him. He has inexperienced managers who owe him their jobs.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Of course. But you have to ask what is his intent in expressing an opinion, getting briefed on prospects, meeting with the GM, sitting at the draft table, etc. I am being told it has no meaning, implication or bearing on anything. He's doing it for shits and giggles because he owns a team. I don't buy that. He's influencing the process. His reputation precedes him. He has inexperienced managers who owe him their jobs.

I think you had the answer but kept going down the hole chasing the White Rabbit.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So they're NOT interested in Power? or they're just a dumb lazy organization?

https://www.nhl.com/news/projected-no-1-nhl-draft-pick-owen-power-buffalo-sabres/c-325532378

This non interview thing means nothing to me.  Either Power is the pick, or he isn't.  The fact that he has not interviewed with the Sabres really should have nothing to do with it, IMO.

Did @Pimlach interview @Eleven?  I don't think so.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This non interview thing means nothing to me.  Either Power is the pick, or he isn't.  The fact that he has not interviewed with the Sabres really should have nothing to do with it, IMO.

Did @Punch interview @Eleven?  I don't think so.

Means a lot really if they don't do it b4 the draft. You don't use a 1st overall pick on a guy you've never talked to. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Why?

1oa is the best value in the entire league. That player will be a mainstay for your organization for years and you think it's not important to talk to the potential guys you could draft with that pick? Better question, why don't you think it's weird? 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

1oa is the best value in the entire league. That player will be a mainstay for your organization for years and you think it's not important to talk to the potential guys you could draft with that pick? Better question, why don't you think it's weird? 

It just seems strange to me.  Whomever they draft first overall they must feel he is the best player available and will be a very good, at least, contributor to the team and it's future.  And the same is true from the players perspective.  I suppose the Sabres would want to try to feel out the 'character' of the player, but an interview is the best place for the interviewee to 'fake' that.  Same goes for the player finding out more about the Sabres org.  I just don't think that much can be learned for the process.  It's like a job interview, both sides are trying to find out about the other sides 'hidden' stuff, but in the end it's a gamble on both sides.  In my life I have thought that I had a great situation lined up in the interview process and 6 months into it  ifound out the opposite and vise-versa.

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It just seems strange to me.  Whomever they draft first overall they must feel he is the best player available and will be a very good, at least, contributor to the team and it's future.  And the same is true from the players perspective.  I suppose the Sabres would want to try to feel out the 'character' of the player, but an interview is the best place for the interviewee to 'fake' that.  Same goes for the player finding out more about the Sabres org.  I just don't think that much can be learned for the process.  It's like a job interview, both sides are trying to find out about the other sides 'hidden' stuff, but in the end it's a gamble on both sides.  In my life I have thought that I had a great situation lined up in the interview process and 6 months into it  ifound out the opposite and vise-versa.

I think you can learn a lot from interviews, especially if you ask the correct questions. We aren't talking about a normal job but you literally just made my argument for me. You have to interview for jobs to understand each other better and we haven't interviewed a guy basically 90% of this board think will be our pick. That's interesting. It gets more interesting if they have interviewed Beniers, Eklund, Brandt, Guenther already. 

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Did @Pimlach interview @Eleven?  I don't think so.

Gil was the consensus pick at 1, and Dale Tallon was a very good player ranked at 2.   There were no red flags on either of them.  

The Sabres did their homework.  Gil was a shy and quiet kid with immense talent. He spoke French, almost no English,  so having veterans like Phil Goyette and Jean Guy Talbot on the roster that year helped him.  The biggest thing was getting wingers that could keep up with him, which was addressed in the next draft (Martin) and in the Shack-Robert trade.   Punch brought Robert into the Leafs organization.   He knew what he was getting with that trade.  

The first season was focused on getting goaltending to avoid getting slaughtered, some solid veterans to help teach the young guys by example, and some tough guys to prevent teams from taking liberties.  

Gil was an immediate impact, a potential superstar and one of the most exciting players in the league.  I can still hear the Aud crowds excitement build up everytime he had the puck.  It was Electric. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Why?

Would you hire an 18 year old to a job that would entail them being a high profile part of your company for the next 7-8 years without interviewing them?

What type of person these kids are matters just as much as their talent.

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I agree with LGR on this. It IS a job interview, and the interview should be a factor in which kid they decide to hire. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

There is still time to talk to him. What I'm sure of is that the front office has talked to a number of people within the  college ranks and the hockey development programs that have worked with him. Talking to Power in an interview setting is a less genuine and revealing setting than talking to coaches and staff members who have been involved with him and in privacy be candid about this player.  

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Means a lot really if they don't do it b4 the draft. You don't use a 1st overall pick on a guy you've never talked to. 

Exactly. 

I think talking to them and learning all about them is very important and I suspect the lack of attention to this by the Sabres (basically no scouting department just stats and computers) leads to failure. You want to know all about them. Is he smart or dumb, is he a good hard working family guy or a party animal frat boy, his goals, his family, his background. Everything. It all matters and it all helps you get an idea of what kind of man he will become and thus how he will lead your team or become a potential problem. Will he need a babysitter or not? Many things. 

In a draft like this if you interview (for example) Power and Beniers and you see that Power is a dumb frat boy and Beniers is a hard working dedicated athlete (I'm over simplifying for the sake of making the point, it would obviously be complicated and nuanced) you draft Beniers and not Power. 

It's important to know EVERYTHING and if as the article says 10-15 teams have talked to him you'd think the team with the #1 overall pick would have been one of them . 

If I was the Sabres I'd be talking to him multiple times, and his coaches, and his teachers, and his parents and his relatives, high school and college friends, everybody you could get a hold of.  I'd do that for all the potential top picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.