Rumor: Tortorella friend wants to buy Sabres

PASabreFan

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Quebec City was passed over for expansion twice and the constant rumors of relocation of Carolina and Florida have never come to fruition. Why, because the population of the metropolitan of Quebec City is less than WNY by approximately 300,000 residents.

Couple that with Buffalo’s Favorite Quebec City Native explaining on the Instigators the reason QC would not get a team is the population size and lack of corporate sponsorship.

He also went onto explain both The Existing Montreal and Toronto Franchises are pretty powerful and do not want to share their territories with other NHL Franchises, even in Toronto which could support two to three. 

Jim Bastille was in perfect position to buy the franchise during the bankruptcy phase but was blocked by Bettman, partially because the Leafs felt a team in Hamilton was too close, allowing one in NewMarket, Ontario is probably not happening 

Golisano did place a no move clause in the sale of the Sabres. Here is a link to John Wawrow’s Article. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=6087856

Besides I do not believe 100% of the team is for sale. A portion up to 50% and day to day control of the team however maybe. 

And Bettman (to his eternal credit) was hellbent on not letting the team leave Buffalo, and that stance has not changed.

Someone elsewhere brought up a good point: Would selling half the team be to raise the $$$ needed for the new Bills stadium?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Wait… John has a friend? 

Until there’s smoke, there’s no fire. And this IMO doesn’t even constitute a  wisp. More like throwing a lure out in a swampy pond to see what sucker bites on it 😂

I tried to get Swampy to bite on my lure one time, but he doesn't roll that way. We were working on our Sabres song, it was late and we both had had a couple of Zimas. I knew it was time to fish or cut bait.

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

6790E253-1EC6-4A5C-A428-C00B5E8455E6.jpeg

I know. It's a super-important discussion and people are into it. Why would it be pinned? "Hockey trades" needs a space.

34 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Zzzzzzzzz……Zzzzzzzzz….Zzzzzzzzzz

I

I wouldn't sleep on this story. Coupled with the rumor from late winter that the Pegulas were looking for someone to help "run" the team, there's a lot of smoke.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I wouldn't sleep on this story. Coupled with the rumor from late winter that the Pegulas were looking for someone to help "run" the team, there's a lot of smoke.

"Help run the team" and "sell the franchise" are miles away from each other.  They are not selling the team.  And remember: his daughters are the ones who really, really want the team.

Now "Give an ownership stake to someone who knows something and can make the team look less like the Keystone Cops and more like the Bruins and Lightning" is much more likely.  Maybe a small-ish stake, like Larry Quinn got from B. Thomas Golisano.  But until we get something more concrete from the Pegulas' end, it is speculation and fan-fiction.  And as a former writer of a lot of fan fiction, I can tell you that it is not flattering.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

"Help run the team" and "sell the franchise" are miles away from each other.  They are not selling the team.  And remember: his daughters are the ones who really, really want the team.

Now "Give an ownership stake to someone who knows something and can make the team look less like the Keystone Cops and more like the Bruins and Lightning" is much more likely.  Maybe a small-ish stake, like Larry Quinn got from B. Thomas Golisano.  But until we get something more concrete from the Pegulas' end, it is speculation and fan-fiction.  And as a former writer of a lot of fan fiction, I can tell you that it is not flattering.

Is there any evidence for the bolded? Terry described his oldest daughter as the biggest Sabres fan in town. Are you including her? Or just the so-called Tweety Birds? (Yeah, I've watched that intro presser a few too many times)

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Is there any evidence for the bolded? Terry described his oldest daughter as the biggest Sabres fan in town. Are you including her? Or just the so-called Tweety Birds? (Yeah, I've watched that intro presser a few too many times)

Does speaking with the younger ones when they were handing out programs count?  They spoke at length about wanting the family to be a Cup-winning dynasty.

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

And Bettman (to his eternal credit) was hellbent on not letting the team leave Buffalo, and that stance has not changed.

Someone elsewhere brought up a good point: Would selling half the team be to raise the $$$ needed for the new Bills stadium?

Probably can only get a small portion of the money needed for a stadium that way (100mil). 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Probably can only get a small portion of the money needed for a stadium that way (100mil). 

Tom Dundon paid 420 Million for 61% Ownership Share of the Carolina Hurricanes in 2018. 

I imagine if the Pegulas Sell 50% of the Sabres it would start in the 275 Million Range.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Tom Dundon paid 420 Million for 61% Ownership Share of the Carolina Hurricanes in 2018. 

I imagine if the Pegulas Sell 50% of the Sabres it would start in the 275 Million Range.

They are worth that much? Well that would give you about 1/3 of what you need for the private half of the stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Forbes has the Sabres value (last year) at 385 million.  So I think your number is a little high. 

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Forbes has the Sabres value (last year) at 385 million.  So I think your number is a little high. 

The Forbes valuations have as much use in figuring out how much a team will sell for as a screen door submarine. A big 4 team will always sell for significantly more.

39 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The NHL has more say in setting the value for its franchises though, and they are not going to let the Sabres sell for less than 61% of the Hurricanes and less than the Coyotes, particularly when Seattle just paid 650 Million to enter the league. 
The Coyotes sale price was listed between 400-430 Million, the new owner only paid 300 million the franchise had/has over 100 million in debt. 

To expand on SabresMike Point, the Bills were valued around 935 million when Pegula bought them for 1.4 Billion. They had to exceed the 1.1 Billion the Dolphins sold for a few years earlier.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The NHL has more say in setting the value for its franchises though, and they are not going to let the Sabres sell for less than 61% of the Hurricanes and less than the Coyotes, particularly when Seattle just paid 650 Million to enter the league. 
The Coyotes sale price was listed between 400-430 Million, the new owner only paid 300 million the franchise had/has over 100 million in debt. 

To expand on SabresMike Point, the Bills were valued around 935 million when Pegula bought them for 1.4 Billion. They had to exceed the 1.1 Billion the Dolphins sold for a few years earlier.

Maybe you're right, but you can't compare NHL to NFL NFL is a much more valuable commodity. 

Well idk, but it's the Sabres, so the value is probably a little less than 49cents. 

On 6/20/2021 at 12:31 AM, Flashsabre said:

It is just a rumour until any of the official insiders confirm it.  IF the Pegulas sold the Sabres they would make sure they couldn’t be moved.  They couldn’t own the Bills with any good will if they let the Sabres walk out of town. 

They're not going to give the guy mentioned in the second quote below any more ammo and fodder than they have to.

18 hours ago, RangerDave said:

I heard Donald Trump is looking for something to do nowadays.  (And people think the Pegulas are hockey know-nothings who interfere......)

OH, HELL NO!!! Don't give him any ideas! After all, he's the same guy who trolled and mocked the Pegulas over their purchase. What he didn't admit was that they had cash on hand to buy the Bills while he was busy overextending his line of credit with Deutsche Bank to try to pull off a purchase that clearly wasn't meant to be.

Here's his jab: https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/donald-trump-fires-twitter-barbs-bills-owner-terry-pegula-nfl-article-1.1973083

Here's what really went down: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/business/donald-trump-buffalo-bills-deutsche-bank.html

If anything, Terry and Kim got the last laugh on him in more ways than one.

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Keep in mind that Dolphins sale price included the stadium. The Bills sale price was team only. So the Pegulas overpaid even more. The Bills were valued by Forbes at only $800MM.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

The Pegula's should sell the team and focus their future on the Bills.  I feel like it's just time.  The fans are fed up, and won't support this crap anymore.

As long as a) they will be better owners and b) won't move the team. Neither of which are guaranteed 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.