Shopping Jack Eichel: Minnesota

dudacek

I know a lot of you guys here are hoping to pull Rossi or Boldy.  But what are the odds that the Sabres could somehow get Joel Eriksson Ek as part of the return for Jack.  
I think he would be perfect for this team.  He’d be a great number 2 for us.  Plays the game how so many of us Sabres fans have been dying to have.  And maybe his offensive numbers could go up once he’s surrounded by some of the young offensive talent we have.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I know a lot of you guys here are hoping to pull Rossi or Boldy.  But what are the odds that the Sabres could somehow get Joel Eriksson Ek as part of the return for Jack.  
I think he would be perfect for this team.  He’d be a great number 2 for us.  Plays the game how so many of us Sabres fans have been dying to have.  And maybe his offensive numbers could go up once he’s surrounded by some of the young offensive talent we have.  

Welcome!!

Sent you a beer.

I would like to have Ek, I think most would.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Welcome to the board.

I wish we could get Eriksson Ek.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Thanks guys.  Just haven’t heard his name mentioned a lot in the trade talks.  Is he an untouchable?  Is his value higher or lower than say Rossi? 

They just signed him to an 8-year deal. I don’t think he’s available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Minnesota Wild. If he moves up and plays with Kaprizov... 65pt rookie season. 

Have you lost hope in getting him in a trade for Eichel?  You were the lead in pushing to get him.  I still hope there's a chance but as we are getting closer to September who knows?

36 minutes ago, Digger said:

Have you lost hope in getting him in a trade for Eichel?  You were the lead in pushing to get him.  I still hope there's a chance but as we are getting closer to September who knows?

I think if Eichel was going to Minnesota, we would have seen that already. 

I would have traded Eichel to them for Beckman, Rossi, and Khusnutdinov but that's me. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the Sabres where willing to retain 20 to 25% of His Salary, it would be done. 

What makes you think we won't consider retaining some of Eichel's salary?  I know there were a couple of reports that said we might for the right deal.

56 minutes ago, Digger said:

What makes you think we won't consider retaining some of Eichel's salary?  I know there were a couple of reports that said we might for the right deal.

I never said they wouldn’t. Michael Russo mentioned if the Sabres retained 3 Million it would be done, I figured with negotiation 2-2.5 would be the sweet spot 

• Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Digger said:

My guess is they want Eichel as is to fetch 4 1sts in value. Want 2mil retained, well that's even more. Effectively they are not willing to add to Eichel's value via retention in order to receive what they feel is Eichel's value. You don't give someone $1.10 to get a $1.00 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My guess is they want Eichel as is to fetch 4 1sts in value. Want 2mil retained, well that's even more. Effectively they are not willing to add to Eichel's value via retention in order to receive what they feel is Eichel's value. You don't give someone $1.10 to get a $1.00 

I understand your point and have largely agreed on this point to not retain salary but using your money analogy, I have a $1.00 that I can't spend right now.  You have money that is good and that I can spend so I give you $1.10 in a trade.  It's not ideal but I now have money $0.90 that I can use to improve my team.

The reality is that we are not getting back players that will be as good as Eichel could be at his best so we're already selling low but it is what it is at this point.

I'm now okay that we retain salary for him if it helps us get the best deal.

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

If the Sabres where willing to retain 20 to 25% of His Salary, it would be done. 

I'm interested to see the answer to the "immovable object" vs "unstoppable force" question - what is the true priority of Adams' build - only having players here who "want to be here", or operating on a tight budget?

Right now, it looks like the Ryan O'Reilly-esque monetary concerns ruling the day, if the "would be" terminology post quoted above is accurate. Will they eventually pay up? Or will we keep a player around who Adams has judged to be detrimental to the future of the team? Or, will it be neither of those two things that breaks first, will it be a budge on the quality of the return, instead? I'm interested to see which of these 3 things gets sacrificed first, if it comes to that.

But, maybe a team ponies up the desired return, sans retention, in a timely matter before camp starts. We shall see. 

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I never said they wouldn’t. Michael Russo mentioned if the Sabres retained 3 Million it would be done, I figured with negotiation 2-2.5 would be the sweet spot 

Very often when a high cost player is dealt a player who is not at the core of the deal is included by the other team to offset some of the added contract cost. In a sense that has a similar effect of retaining some portion of the departing player's contract. The benefit for the Sabres is that they would be able to get some utility out of the returning player. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I'm interested to see the answer to the "immovable object" vs "unstoppable force" question - what is the true priority of Adams' build - only having players here who "want to be here", or operating on a tight budget?

Right now, it looks like the Ryan O'Reilly-esque monetary concerns ruling the day, if the "would be" terminology post quoted above is accurate. Will they eventually pay up? Or will we keep a player around who Adams has judged to be detrimental to the future of the team? Or, will it be neither of those two things that breaks first, will it be a budge on the quality of the return, instead? I'm interested to see which of these 3 things gets sacrificed first, if it comes to that.

But, maybe a team ponies up the desired return, sans retention, in a timely matter before camp starts. We shall see. 

Retaining 2.5million in salary for 5 years is terrible and has nothing to do with monetary ROR stuff and everything to do with cap space in years 3, 4, and 5. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Retaining 2.5million in salary for 5 years is terrible and has nothing to do with monetary ROR stuff and everything to do with cap space in years 3, 4, and 5. 

Most cap projections are that the cap will go up in a couple to few years down the road. If the cost of bringing in players such as Rossi, Krebs or Zegras and other assets (as examples) that would be a worthwhile exchange. This roster needs to be rebuilt, the quicker the better. If the cost is a salary retention of $2.5 per yr for a few years that would be a reasonable transaction. Maybe a better approach might be taking a player and his contract back to somewhat offset the Jack contract that the receiving team will have added to their books. 

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It certainly is a valuable add to a trade.  Whether it’s terrible or not would depend upon the trade return I would think.

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There must be a breaking point? How much of a return are you willing to sacrifice to keep 2.5 mil of space open? If by keeping 2.5 we were able to get Rossi, and if we don't, we have to settle for, I dunno, a Turcotte level C and 2 firsts, do you still rule out the possibility? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.