What do we get for Hall? When does he get traded?

GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Hall is fools gold.

The only time he's scored 30g was his MVP season.

Only 3 times in his career has he eclipsed 60 points.

Fools gold would indicate at first glance, he looks legit.  I don’t see anything like that.  I think he’s hot garbage.  If they can get a sack of coal for him, I’d do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Fools gold would indicate at first glance, he looks legit.  I don’t see anything like that.  I think he’s hot garbage.  If they can get a sack of coal for him, I’d do it. 

He offers nothing on a backcheck or forecheck.  He doesn't get to dirty areas.  Not a great passer, or shooter for that matter.  He can skate well, but tends to give it away more than make plays with it.  

I'm with you, i've seen enough.  I don't care for his brand of hockey.  I felt the same way about Kane honestly - he could skate well, and he shot a ton.  But from terrible areas and often missing the net and opening up for a breakout.  I think Kanes style is a bit more suited to the playoffs with size and willingness to get to dirty areas, but I don't think he's a building block (also the off ice issues).  

I think he is traded on deadline day and it won't be for anything close to what people would want to get for him

Although they did get more for Johanson & Staal then I expected they would so maybe the deal will surprise us as they find another Sucker (I mean team) to take him.

I'm sure all of the leagues GMs have seen how he raised the Coyotes, Devils and Sabres up to the next level and need that for their playoff run......

I feel that Hall is a "dime a dozen" player. Past history is useless in describing him. He is what you see now.

He may prove useful for a playoff run on a team that has very talented others around him. GM's that are in contention for the cup often pick up players with the high hopes that it will be a home run acquisition. I don't think he gets us much in return, maybe a small reward?  We got him as a free agent therefore "easy come, easy go".....just go away quickly......

COVID has led to fewer eyeballs on him this season, which is a good thing.

Hope there is a bidding war between a few teams. He can be bundled with another piece (Irwin) to provide playoff depth and bump up the return a smidge.

Weak draft and contenders are picking in the 20s, I believe KA can get a first and a young player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Hope there is a bidding war between a few teams. He can be bundled with another piece (Irwin) to provide playoff depth and bump up the return a smidge.

Weak draft and contenders are picking in the 20s, I believe KA can get a first and a young player.

I wonder too if there is a belief that Buffalo just sucks and a good player will rebound if removed from the putrid dumpster fire that is the Sabres. 

No one will give you anything at all for Matt Irwin. It would decrease Hall's value to include Irwin. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder too if there is a belief that Buffalo just sucks and a good player will rebound if removed from the putrid dumpster fire that is the Sabres. 

No one will give you anything at all for Matt Irwin. It would decrease Hall's value to include Irwin. 

Staal trade tells me "yes" to the bold.

I agree with your opinion of Irwin, but it does seem like teams add cheap veteran defencemen like him at the deadline all the time.

Just now, dudacek said:

I agree with your opinion of Irwin, but it does seem like teams add cheap veteran defencemen like him at the deadline all the time.

its like the ny jets. any good player goes there and their career goes into the toilet. thats how the sabres are

9 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Pierre with an interesting question:

The trade deadline is two weeks away.  Is there any precedent for teams sitting players that they are going to send away at the TDL, two entire weeks prior...and then they will be sitting another week quarantining for their new team?

Edited by LabattBlue

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

A lot of people here are treating the canadian division like it's own league

From the Athletic.  
https://theathletic.com/2484099/2021/03/29/who-stays-who-goes-nhl-trade-deadline-board/

Pack your bags (most likely to be traded)

Taylor Hall, forward, Buffalo Sabres
Good fits: Islanders, Maple Leafs

We moved Taylor Hall into the “pack your bags” category after he told reporters following the Sabres’ 16th straight game without a win that he would be open to being moved. Hardly a surprise that the former Hart Trophy winner will be eager to move on from the hellscape that the Buffalo Sabres represent, but Hall has a no-move clause so he controls his own fate. Finding a suitor or two shouldn’t be a problem as we operate under the assumption the Sabres would eat upward of half of Hall’s monster $8 million salary or take significant salary back in any deal. The Staal deal is a kind of precedent as the Sabres are eating half of Staal’s salary to the tune of $1.625 million. As for a return, we keep hearing buzz of a first-round pick being involved. That seems beyond fanciful given the reality that Hall hasn’t been very good for quite some time dating to his trade to Arizona early in the 2019-20 season. The one-time league MVP has two goals in 33 games this season. Please. A third-round pick and some other bits and baubles? Maybe even that’s too much. Although teams like the Islanders, the Maple Leafs and the Oilers want to add a top-six impact winger, so that could create what will pass for a bidding war in this strange season. The big question is whether Hall still qualifies as an elite player.

KA must be talking to everyone.  The articles list us in on Liljigren, DeBrusk, Merzlinkins, Manson, Driedger, plus offering Montour (Jets interested) and Reinhart. They said trading Reinhart is unlikely and not overly smart.

Hall’s value to a good team is that he when motivated is a very good playmaker, but he needs better players around him at this point.  He can’t do it alone like he did in his magical NJ season. He needs a goal scoring center to play with and some to create space.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From the Athletic.  
https://theathletic.com/2484099/2021/03/29/who-stays-who-goes-nhl-trade-deadline-board/

KA must be talking to everyone.  The articles list us in on Liljigren, DeBrusk, Merzlinkins, Manson, Driedger, plus offering Montour (Jets interested) and Reinhart. They said trading Reinhart is unlikely and not overly smart.

Hall’s value to a good team is that he when motivated is a very good playmaker, but he needs better players around him at this point.  He can’t do it alone like he did in his magical NJ season. He needs a goal scoring center to play with and some to create space.

If the best offer is a 3rd round pick, I hang up the phone and keep him and release him this offseason. You don't want to pay then you don't get the player. The power in any relationship lies with whoever cares least. And we shouldn't care at all about an extra 3rd round pick in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think its just the Canadians trying to win the 2011 Stanley Cup.....

The guy is put on the 2nd line and literally does nothing, he is past his prime and has little left

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

If the best offer is a 3rd round pick, I hang up the phone and keep him and release him this offseason. You don't want to pay then you don't get the player. The power in any relationship lies with whoever cares least. And we shouldn't care at all about an extra 3rd round pick in this draft. 

I disagree, if he isn't being retained, take what you can get. That 3rd can always be used packaged with something else to sweeten a deal.

This team is at a point where nothing they do is going to turn this season around so keeping him does nothing unless you want to punish him. Atleast taking the best offer for someone you have no intentions of retaining this offseason gives you some type of asset 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We just traded useless Staal for a 3rd and 5th.  Hall, despite 2 goals, is still creating enough to be on a 40 pt pace on a terrible team.  I can see two 2nds and a decent prospect plus a player for cap purposes. Toronto would likely do Kerfoot, Liljigren and 2 2nds right now for Hall.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The trade deadline is two weeks away.  Is there any precedent for teams sitting players that they are going to send away at the TDL, two entire weeks prior...and then they will be sitting another week quarantining for their new team?

I think they need to keep him on the ice and hope he flips a switch and flashes something, otherwise your trying to move someone who has done next to nothing this year on the top line playing with someone who is supposed to be a top player (Eichel)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

Pierre with an interesting question:

Yeah, get him out of the lineup now. Play JS Dea in his spot.

JS Dea will hustle, hound loose pucks, go to the net, tip pucks, shoot from all angles  and do everything Hall doesn't do. 

He's not a total liability on the defensive end, I don't think? 

The season is toast anyways so why not?

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is interesting. I like it

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We just traded useless Staal for a 3rd and 5th.  Hall, despite 2 goals, is still creating enough to be on a 40 pt pace on a terrible team.  I can see two 2nds and a decent prospect plus a player for cap purposes. Toronto would likely do Kerfoot, Liljigren and 2 2nds right now for Hall.

I saw today that they are happy with Galchenyuk' production so far. Wouldn't put it past them to make a move for Hall anyways. Hope they do!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From the Athletic.  

Should the Sabres be "buyers" at the deadline if the deals are right? 

I say if the culture fit you are looking for is there you go for them.

Also...Is it time to bring a Foligno back to Buffalo? I'd look to sign Nick in the off-season if they think he's a fit. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Should the Sabres be "buyers" at the deadline if the deals are right? 

I say if the culture fit you are looking for is there you go for them.

Also...Is it time to bring a Foligno back to Buffalo? I'd look to sign Nick in the off-season if they think he's a fit. 

I want the Foligno triumvirate back in Buffalo! 😂

22 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I want the Foligno triumvirate back in Buffalo! 😂

But, but, but, everyone says that if it were their kids, they would tell them to avoid Buffalo like the plague.  You can't possibly wish that much ill-fate on fan favourites!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.