How bad is it? The Sabres compared to the Tank

LGR4GM

Just now, darksabre said:

I think what's funny is that a lot of players on those tank teams were really honestly trying to win games. They never gave up because I think they were fully aware that they were expected to be bad.

These current teams, expected to be simply okay, roll over and die at the slightest hint of adversity. Just incredibly fragile, hopeless, and without any sense of pride. They aren't trying to prove anyone wrong like the tank players were, and it shows.

Ya i mean the players were definitely trying back then. I remember a really nice Matt Dagostini goal where everyone seemed really happy. 

Cory Conacher, etc

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya i mean the players were definitely trying back then. I remember a really nice Matt Dagostini goal where everyone seemed really happy. 

Cory Conacher, etc

They had to fire Nolan because he brought in Arturs Irbe to coach the goalies and they played too good. Those guys were playing for their careers. The current Sabres clearly aren't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

They were also, ya know, TRYING to lose 

22 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think what's funny is that a lot of players on those tank teams were really honestly trying to win games. They never gave up because I think they were fully aware that they were expected to be bad.

These current teams, expected to be simply okay, roll over and die at the slightest hint of adversity. Just incredibly fragile, hopeless, and without any sense of pride. They aren't trying to prove anyone wrong like the tank players were, and it shows.

I was going to add that the FO's of those tank teams were trying to lose. Plenty of proud (AHL-level) hockey players on those tank teams that did their level best every night.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

As some who played at a high level,

planet of the apes eye roll GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I thought worst-case scenario was that Ullmark got hurt, it cost us 10 points in the standings and we had a pro-rated 70-point season.

Best case was Ullmark took a step and we were a bubble team that squeaked in late.

I just didn't foresee for a second we'd be this impotent 5-on-5, not after being decent there last year and (on paper) improving the forwards. But that was based on a prorated 25 goals each from Skinner and Hall, and 35 from Jack. These guys do that in their sleep.

Four goals COMBINED after 20 games? Two at ES? Who saw that coming in their worst nightmares? It is flabbergasting.

I can't explain it and I think I'm going to give up trying. Any more games like every game against the Islanders, and I may have to stop watching.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I thought worst-case scenario was that Ullmark got hurt, it cost us 10 points in the standings and we had a pro-rated 70-point season.

Best case was Ullmark took a step and we were a bubble team that squeaked in late.

I just didn't foresee for a second we'd be this impotent 5-on-5, not after being decent there last year and (on paper) improving the forwards. But that was based on a prorated 25 goals each from Skinner and Hall, and 35 from Jack. These guys do that in their sleep.

Four goals COMBINED after 20 games? Two at ES? Who saw that coming in their worst nightmares? It is flabbergasting.

I can't explain it and I think I'm going to give up trying. Any more games like every game against the Islanders, and I may have to stop watching.

I wonder what odds the betting types would out on those goal scoring totals prior to the season?

How far does the CALIBER of the Sabres P% have to fall before Terry fires RK?

.44 Magnum (Do you feel lucky punk?  Well do you?)

.357 (Sabres current P% 3/5/2020)

.329 (2014-15 Season)

.327 (1971-72 Season)

.32 (Does it have to fall this far before TP "snubs his nose" at RK?)

.317 (2013-14 Season Worse in Buffalo Sabre History!)

.313 (What it will be if they lose the next 3 games of this current road trip!)

.25 (Should be an AUTO firing if it hasn't happened yet)

.22 RimFIRE?

So we tanked to build a team that is worse than the tank teams.

That's because the tanking teams had guys who were willing to work hard and some of that had Ted Nolan as the coach, too.

Hard work trumps talent.

Even if talented hard work trumps untalented hard work.

But you can go a long way in this league, especially in the regular season, with hard work.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I was going to add that the FO's of those tank teams were trying to lose. Plenty of proud (AHL-level) hockey players on those tank teams that did their level best every night.

planet of the apes eye roll GIF

What I'm dying to know is whether Smell knows he wants that scene, then goes and finds it, or does he just pick through memes after searching for "eye roll, disgusted" etc.? I wouldn't put the former past 'im.

• Haha (+1) 1

The tank team was expected.  I have been a fan since my childhood in the 70's.  I have seen some bad seasons but I have never witnessed the complete lack of compete and losing culture like I am seeing now.  Other than the Devils game, I don't know how they are going to win more than a few games this month.  I honestly don't know how.  It's a virtual mismatch every single night.

• Like (+1) 2

How bad is it?  For the first time since the Sabres were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention in the tank year, I am rooting for the team to lose games so that Krueger is fired and/or defenestrated.  I wasn't on board with the tank.  I'm on board with rooting for the Isles on Saturday.

• Like (+1) 2

This is why a professional sports team should NEVER ever allow itself to "plan" to lose.  I don't care if the intentions include resting players, prevent injuries or improve one's drafting position.  Once you allow or even promote the idea of losing, it becomes a STINK that is impossible to get rid of.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What I'm dying to know is whether Smell knows he wants that scene, then goes and finds it, or does he just pick through memes after searching for "eye roll, disgusted" etc.? I wouldn't put the former past 'im.

Ha - it's a bit of both, depending on the situation. In this case, it was a search for an eye roll.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

How bad is it?  For the first time since the Sabres were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention in the tank year, I am rooting for the team to lose games so that Krueger is fired and/or defenestrated.  I wasn't on board with the tank.  I'm on board with rooting for the Isles on Saturday.

Yes Please Thank You GIF by StickerGiant

53 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

So we tanked to build a team that is worse than the tank teams.

That's because the tanking teams had guys who were willing to work hard and some of that had Ted Nolan as the coach, too.

Hard work trumps talent.

Even if talented hard work trumps untalented hard work.

But you can go a long way in this league, especially in the regular season, with hard work.

Old hockey cliche: all other things being equal, a little more will beats a little more skill.

• Like (+1) 1

In a perfect world, this is where the GM steps up and takes action: a statement, a move, anything to send a message that "I got this. This will not be tolerated, there is a path forward and I am taking us there."

Am I alone in not expecting anything from Adams because it doesn't really feel like he is in charge?

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In a perfect world, this is where the GM steps up and takes action: a statement, a move, anything to send a message that "I got this. This will not be tolerated, there is a path forward and I am taking us there."

Am I alone in not expecting anything from Adams because it doesn't really feel like he is in charge?

Previously I’m not sure any of us really knew. I think now we do.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, NAF said:

Are the Sabres are the worst organization in American professional sports (of football, baseball, hockey and basketball)? I don't really follow baseball but can't think of a football or basketball team worse than them. Maybe the Minnesota Timberwolves or the Charlotte Hornets are worse but I'm really having a hard time coming up with anything else.

I'd say it was the Cleveland Browns, but now they've come out of it finally so I think you're right, it's the Sabres. 

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

That's not a fair comparison.

Imagine if that tank team played a top 5 team in the league most nights.  They might have only 1 or 2 wins over that stretch.

Not an excuse, but when a team is struggling searching for confidence, under normal circumstances they'd eventually play a team or two that are softies... Put up a bunch of goals and snap out of their funk.

Buffalo gets the Flyers, Islanders, Bruins, Pittsburgh for the next 2 weeks, so this thing has the potential to snowball into the likes of something never seen before.

I really don't buy into this tough division crap. It's loser excuse talk. We're not playing Toronto, Tampa, Florida. We don't have to go to Colorado or Vegas. We don't have long west coast road trips. It's total rubbish. We have no excuse.

The tank stripped away any talent we had (very little) but this team has the so called talent. What has been stripped away is any semblance of effort or desire. 

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting.   The GM stepping up is normal in any world except this Sabres world.  Covid should not be an issue.  Montreal fired a coach and they had a winning record.  We are mired an a 5 game losing streak and our best players have disappeared.  Adams should be heard from soon, unless Kim is holding him back and she plans on making a statement.  

And this could be an issue as to why old school guys like Dudley or Rutherford would back away.  

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Is that what I think it is? Snip snip? That's harsh.

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Interesting.   The GM stepping up is normal in any world except this Sabres world.  Covid should not be an issue.  Montreal fired a coach and they had a winning record.  We are mired an a 5 game losing streak and our best players have disappeared.  Adams should be heard from soon, unless Kim is holding him back and she plans on making a statement.  

And this could be an issue as to why old school guys like Dudley or Rutherford would back away.  

Agree....my dilemma is that I am anxiously awaiting SOMETHING from management or ownership (Kim) to say something about this debacle.  The problem is, as soon as we hear from Kim, I expect my reaction will be as if she were dragging her fingernails on a chalkboard.  I'll be screaming to myself "make her stop!"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.