GDT: Islanders at Sabres, Feb. 16, 2021, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Dahlin once again showing his straight line skating speed is terrible.  Holy cow, Pageau was 5-10 ft behind Dahlin and easily skated by him. 

Where is that power skating chick that used to work with the Sabres? 😂

He isn't fast, but Pageau is, and Dahlin was at a stand still if I am remembering correctly. 5 feet in that scenario is nothing. 

6 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If my hockey playing experience has taught me anything it’s that 30% of players are stoned. Of those 30%, 74% play as if they aren’t stoned and nobody is any wiser. Jackie Boy might fall into that 26% group. 

He might be the worst player I have ever seen at the blue line. He might not know the rules. Or, he’s a ***** moron.

I bet if you go and look back at all the offsides the Sabres have had in the past 4 years, Eichel stepping on his dick is responsible for 85% of them.

Edited by SwampD

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He isn't fast, but Pageau is, and Dahlin was at a stand still if I am remembering correctly. 5 feet in that scenario is nothing. 

You’re being way too kind to Dahlin.  I don’t remember hearing anything prior to the draft that his skating sucked. 

Edited by LabattBlue

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Washington 5-1 Thursday I’m calling it early

That's just it, isn't it? The Isles play a counter game, letting you make mistakes and knowing they won't. They're happy to get a loser point if they don't win. The Caps play to bury you. Both styles are successful over an 82-game (or 56-game) schedule. The Caps are wholly capable of burying us whether or not Ovie and other hotel-room-hangout-players are in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You’re being way too kind to Dahlin.  I don’t remember hearing anything prior to the draft that his skating sucked. 

Nearly our only player creating the last 2 games. I'm not being kind to him - I said he wasn't fast. Just that the physics of the situation weren't in his favour, a player with average speed. 

Colour me legitimately, significantly surprised at the fact we have but 2 regulation wins in 12, pacing for 9 in a 56 game season. This is not something I thought remotely possible, even given the mentioned outside factors, considering how our forwards looked on paper. 

To me it was more: will we have a top 3 Top 6 unit or a top 5 unit? Bottom of the barrel 5v5 production is a mind boggle. 

Finding a second scoring centre is proving elusive. I hope it doesn’t take as long to replace ROR as it has trying to find a goalie since Miller. 

Still time to turn it around. Shrinking runway though. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Washington 5-1 Thursday I’m calling it early

You must be giving that 1 to Olofsson, the only player on the Sabres who appears to know who to score.

We all moan about this team, I am no different, but it's beyond the ole "it's justified".

I just don't get it. There is talent on this roster. It seems like every season they ***** the bed, scorings an issue, goaltending, defensive play, penalty killing is bad, power play disappears, and the list goes on and on. I just truly am at a complete loss for it.

I keep pointing to culture. It's the only thing that bonds the entire situation together. Yep, that is where I am firmly planted at. I'm stating it straight out now, the Buffalo Sabres organization is where players careers go to die, and the entire league knows it. I know the Pegulas are good people, and they are well intentioned. But enough is enough. They need to step aside and let a President of Hockey Ops in, a very experienced one, to run the show. Just my 2 pennies is all.

/rant and thanks for letting me vent.

Now, back to your post, I can't even give Olofsson 1 since his line mates can't stay on side, Washington 7 - Sabres 0. I'll be shocked if they score again this season.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

You must be giving that 1 to Olofsson, the only player on the Sabres who appears to know who to score.

We all moan about this team, I am no different, but it's beyond the ole "it's justified".

I just don't get it. There is talent on this roster. It seems like every season they ***** the bed, scorings an issue, goaltending, defensive play, penalty killing is bad, power play disappears, and the list goes on and on. I just truly am at a complete loss for it.

I keep pointing to culture. It's the only thing that bonds the entire situation together. Yep, that is where I am firmly planted at. I'm stating it straight out now, the Buffalo Sabres organization is where players careers go to die, and the entire league knows it. I know the Pegulas are good people, and they are well intentioned. But enough is enough. They need to step aside and let a President of Hockey Ops in, a very experienced one, to run the show. Just my 2 pennies is all.

/rant and thanks for letting me vent.

Now, back to your post, I can't even give Olofsson 1 since his line mates can't stay on side, Washington 7 - Sabres 0. I'll be shocked if they score again this season.

I agree.  It’s baffling. 

22 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Perhaps the talent level of this team isn't as great as its fans think it is?

Is that possible?

I don't believe the individual talent level and the team talent level are inter-linked. Case in point, Jack Eichel. He is what he is, a 65 to 85 point a season player. That's talent. Reinhart, a 55 to 70 point a season player. While I grant you that is only 2 players, they are however both Buffalo selected, Buffalo developed, Buffalo groomed products at the professional level. There are others, Skinner, Hall, even Olofsson, who have shown they are talented players, even if those talents are singular and not much else.

The team talent on the other hand, playing as a unit, cohesiveness, entrusting one another in the passing game, the puck carrier game, knowing when and where to cross and position on the ice on the rush offensively, the aggressiveness in puck battles and the unflinching devotion to one another to go in to the corner with your line mate to battle for pucks with the full confidence you will succeed as a unit in winning that battle, the subsequent hockey IQ to use speed and grit to jump to the front of the net without hesitation, once again, in full confidence your linemates will back your play, find your stick with the puck, the defensemen having the full confidence that the forwards will give it their all to get back and cover the points and slot with everything they have while you drive the opposing puck carrier to the outside, into the boards and through the glass.

Yea, that ain't happening here in Buffalo I fully agree. And I also I agree, it's a problem.

I keep eluding to it, hell, straight out saying it, the problem is Team Culture, and it is a very real, very big problem, imho.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't believe the individual talent level and the team talent level are inter-linked. Case in point, Jack Eichel. He is what he is, a 65 to 85 point a season player. That's talent. Reinhart, a 55 to 70 point a season player. While I grant you that is only 2 players, they are however both Buffalo selected, Buffalo developed, Buffalo groomed products at the professional level. There are others, Skinner, Hall, even Olofsson, who have shown they are talented players, even if those talents are singular and not much else.

The team talent on the other hand, playing as a unit, cohesiveness, entrusting one another in the passing game, the puck carrier game, knowing when and where to cross and position on the ice on the rush offensively, the aggressiveness in puck battles and the unflinching devotion to one another to go in to the corner with your line mate to battle for pucks with the full confidence you will succeed as a unit in winning that battle, the subsequent hockey IQ to use speed and grit to jump to the front of the net without hesitation, once again, in full confidence your linemates will back your play, find your stick with the puck, the defensemen having the full confidence that the forwards will give it their all to get back and cover the points and slot with everything they have while you drive the opposing puck carrier to the outside, into the boards and through the glass.

Yea, that ain't happening here in Buffalo I fully agree. And I also I agree, it's a problem.

I keep eluding to it, hell, straight out saying it, the problem is Team Culture, and it is a very real, very big problem, imho.

It is clear to me Jack should not of been made captain.  That is one problem.  He is introverted and somewhat immature.  Compare to Josh Allen who is extroverted and very mature for his age and takes responsibility and blame on himself as a captain should and points successes to other teammates. He doesn't sulk when things go wrong but has a "fighting" spirit and a short memory. He never takes plays off and leads by example.  His energy is infectious. He is aggressive and confident.

• Like (+1) 2

If I have to hear Rays ball washing of this organization one more time I’ll pull an Elvis and shoot the tv. These guys are doing a great job with coaching, scouting, talent evaluation, special teams, player development etc. I’ll say what I said last night. I’m not seeing results Rob. Where is the praise warrented ? None of these players, coaches , talent evaluators are doing a good job Robbie boy cause there are no good results to back up your claims. Show me the frikken money. I need to see results to believe anything that comes out of your mouth. Its all lip service at this point.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

If I have to hear Rays ball washing of this organization one more time I’ll pull an Elvis and shoot the tv. These guys are doing a great job with coaching, scouting, talent evaluation, special teams, player development etc. I’ll say what I said last night. I’m not seeing results Rob. Where is the praise warrented ? None of these players, coaches , talent evaluators are doing a good job Robbie boy cause there are no good results to back up your claims. Show me the frikken money. I need to see results to believe anything that comes out of your mouth. Its all lip service at this point.

Ray is not going anywhere. He's who we are getting.

The question is... how soon do we lose Biron to a national gig or another franchise? Because Marty is solid and has charisma.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.