Jump to content

GDT 1/18/21 Buffalo Sabres @ Philadelphia Flyers 7:30 —NBCSN


Recommended Posts

 

Both in the wake of last season and going into this one, Buffalo Sabres coach Ralph Krueger made it one of his key talking points.

The Sabres were a Jekyll-and-Hyde outfit last season, going 20-11-4 at home but ruining their hopes with a 10-20-4 road record that ranked 28th out of the 31 teams in points away from home.

They have to be better away from KeyBank Center or they go nowhere. Period.

Krueger says his club's better depth at forward should lead to better matchups on the road, where the home team's last change allows it to maneuver more freely. He's got tough lab tests for that theory to run this week.

The Sabres play Monday and Tuesday nights at Philadelphia, which opened the season with two impressive wins over Pittsburgh and is the pick by many to win the East Division. Then, they play Friday and Sunday at Washington, which just took the opening two games in Buffalo. Since 2014, the Sabres are 0-6-1 in their last seven games in Philadelphia and 0-6-2 in their last eight in D.C. They've been outscored 63-22 in the 15 games.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-looking-to-reverse-trend-of-not-taking-kindly-to-the-road/article_362e32ec-5922-11eb-841d-9b26539c63a5.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

 

Both in the wake of last season and going into this one, Buffalo Sabres coach Ralph Krueger made it one of his key talking points.

The Sabres were a Jekyll-and-Hyde outfit last season, going 20-11-4 at home but ruining their hopes with a 10-20-4 road record that ranked 28th out of the 31 teams in points away from home.

They have to be better away from KeyBank Center or they go nowhere. Period.

Krueger says his club's better depth at forward should lead to better matchups on the road, where the home team's last change allows it to maneuver more freely. He's got tough lab tests for that theory to run this week.

The Sabres play Monday and Tuesday nights at Philadelphia, which opened the season with two impressive wins over Pittsburgh and is the pick by many to win the East Division. Then, they play Friday and Sunday at Washington, which just took the opening two games in Buffalo. Since 2014, the Sabres are 0-6-1 in their last seven games in Philadelphia and 0-6-2 in their last eight in D.C. They've been outscored 63-22 in the 15 games.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-looking-to-reverse-trend-of-not-taking-kindly-to-the-road/article_362e32ec-5922-11eb-841d-9b26539c63a5.html

So what you’re saying is we have no chance😳. Aright. I can get behind that. 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We suck and home and we suck on the road.

Krueger's biggest failure as a coach is he can't find anywhere else to to play.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We suck and home and we suck on the road.

Krueger's biggest failure as a coach is he can't find anywhere else to to play.

Im not sure its kruegars failure when the sabres have had many coaches and they haven't been good in a long time

Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly never thought I could care less about a Buffalo sports team as I did about the Sabres last year. They have managed to become even more unlikeable already. Jack Eichel cannot be captain of this team as he does not have any of the attributes you need to lead a team. Our head coach is actually in the wrong sport, and there is zero, and I mean ZERO toughness on this team. 

Not only does it seem possible that this group will ever make the playoffs, it feels like they are incapable of winning a game. I think they end up with a top 3 pick, trade Eichel and anyone else who can't shake the losing, and start over with a coach that doesn't actually say he will not be coaching during the game.

Edited by CallawaySabres
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the Skinner travesty I actually kind of like those lines.  Take the pressure of Thompson and let him tag along with a coupla vets to show him the ropes.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dudacek said:

We suck and home and we suck on the road.

Krueger's biggest failure as a coach is he can't find anywhere else to to play.

How do you feel about the Sabres' execution?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, inkman said:

They need to split up Montour and Dahlin.   They are getting caved.  
 

 

 

So much for our analytics dept.

Skinner good - 4th line and 14 minutes and with two plumbers

Montour and Dahlin bad - they play together and play 20-23 minutes.  

Sure that makes sense.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sure hope they get that PP working 

Any day now... The cross-slot pass will NOT be intercepted. Any day now....

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

 

Sure, let’s give Philly ONE line to worry about... Good move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So much for our analytics dept.

Skinner good - 4th line and 14 minutes and with two plumbers

Montour and Dahlin bad - they play together and play 20-23 minutes.  

Sure that makes sense.  

Krueger's a fraud.  This lineup isn't based on analytics or principles; it's based on wishful thinking.

Cozens isn't a 2nd line player yet.  Lazar isn't going to recapture his scoring touch from juniors 6 years ago. Thompson's ceiling is 13th or 14th foward.  Sheahan isn't a NHL quality player. Skinner is a top six foward (especially on this roster).

The only thing this lineup is missing is Hutton in goal.

Hopefully the team gets an MVP-quality performance from the top line and some puck luck to pull out a win.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...