GDT: World Junior Championships

dudacek

Missing the forest through the trees on Mitts. He was ok in college. He was good at the world juniors... and then and most importantly his game stagnated completely and he's shown almost no growth since then. 

The question is did the 30 Rochester games get him developing again? 

• Like (+1) 1

Mitts has crazy good skills no doubt.  With him it is going to come down to his work ethic.  

He had no business leaving college hockey when he did, thank you Boterill. 

At 21 years he posted  9 goals and 25 points (-15) in 36 AHL games which is not dominant, but it is better production than what we saw in the NHL. 

Will he work hard enough on his total game to be effective in the NHL?   Is he going to come in this year and play a solid overall game to push Eakin to the 4C slot?  He may be a year away from doing that, if he ever does.  

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Minnesota was definitely not a tire fire that season.  They were ok.  They had a winning record and scored more than they gave up (barely).  What they were was a not exceptional talented team that played a defensive style.  On a more talented team Mitts probably would have produced more, but I kind of doubt he would have put up over 45 points.  That would be a truly elite freshman season.

Yeah, "tire fire" was a bit of hyperbole.  But by Minnesota's standards, they WERE a tire fire.  That season was the 1st in 7 years they didn't finish 1st in conference & was the 2nd without an NCAA bid in 3 years and only the 6th without a bid in Lucia's tenure.  It was the straw that broke the camel's back and led to Lucia resigning 1 year before having coached the Gophers for 20 years.

Stutzle doing everything he can himself to push Germany through a tough Russian defence, to the point he’s hurting the team sometimes by turning the puck over.

Peterka looks like he’s faded a bit outside the PP. Not quite as quick or as strong on the puck. He’s been playing 26 minutes a night and it’s his fifth game in seven days.

Edited by dudacek

Lazy play by Peterka on Germany's late power play chance gave away their slim hope. 

My final assessment on Peterka is he is a fast and fluid skater. Very skilled and could develop into a goal scorer BUT he is not NHL ready yet, needs to work on his defensive game, strength, and level of compete to make it. He has a tendency to be a bit of a floater at times like many young offensively gifted players are. With the right development and attitude he could be a player, but not for another 2-3 years imo. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Lazy play by Peterka on Germany's late power play chance gave away their slim hope. 

My final assessment on Peterka is he is a fast and fluid skater. Very skilled and could develop into a goal scorer BUT he is not NHL ready yet, needs to work on his defensive game, strength, and level of compete to make it. He has a tendency to be a bit of a floater at times like many young offensively gifted players are. With the right development and attitude he could be a player, but not for another 2-3 years imo. 

I disagree partially, the pass Albert sent him on that powerplay was what caused the penalty. It was a terrible pass well up the boards from him thus putting him in a unwinnable situation. It wasn't a lazy play but rather one of desperation. 

As for his floating, I noticed a bit of that as well but I am unsure if that is due to effort or exhaustion. He was one of the top ice time loggers for all players this year and his floating seemed to become more noticeable after the first three games. 

I would also add he does have some good defensive abilities which is certainly a positive for a young player.

I think he's an AHLer next season, and a call up by late 2021-22 and either Bot 6 or the top call up 2022-23

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is not surprising for an 18 year old 2nd round pick.

With regards to him being a bit of a floater, I wonder if that is a lot to do with what dudacek said below.  Being dog tired will do that.  Everything else that I’ve seen about him is that he is tenacious in puck pursuit, and generally goes all out.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Stutzle doing everything he can himself to push Germany through a tough Russian defence, to the point he’s hurting the team sometimes by turning the puck over.

Peterka looks like he’s faded a bit outside the PP. Not quite as quick or as strong on the puck. He’s been playing 26 minutes a night and it’s his fifth game in seven days.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I would gladly take the 2-3 yr. timetable to get to the NHL. That would be well within the standard of time it usually takes to make it to the big league. 

Watching the Canada/Czech broadcast and they are pointing out that much of the offense Cozens has created was actually generated by his good play inside the D zone.  That bodes very well for his future and probably for making the team this year.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Wasn’t pretty but Canada advances. Cozens was a big factor again with a goal and an assist in the first period. That was enough for them to play conservatively for the next two periods and win 3-0.

Quinn did not stand out but did a lot of little things that would be missed if you’re watching the game and not focusing on him. He covers well for the D when they pinch, works hard on the wall, back checks hard and never seems out of position. It wasn’t his best, but other than the Cozens line, they did not generate much.

Once again I am happy the Sabres did not draft Perfetti. He looks weak, slow and out of synch.

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Wasn’t pretty but Canada advances. Cozens was a big factor again with a goal and an assist in the first period. That was enough for them to play conservatively for the next two periods and win 3-0.

Quinn did not stand out but did a lot of little things that would be missed if you’re watching the game and not focusing on him. He covers well for the D when they pinch, works hard on the wall, back checks hard and never seems out of position. It wasn’t his best, but other than the Cozens line, they did not generate much.

Once again I am happy the Sabres did not draft Perfetti. He looks weak, slow and out of synch.

Generally agree, but some slightly different takes.  Watched Quinn closely too and in general thought he had a stronger game against Finland, but so did most of the team.  I wondered if he was moved off of Byfield's line late in the game.  I actually thought Perfetti had a better game tonight than his previous one, but agree with you that Buffalo did the right thing to pass on him.

One player I have grown to really like is Peyton Krebs....that kid is relentless!

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly can't find a flaw in Cozens' game. He's a dominant player at this level and imo is NHL ready. He is smart, strong, tenacious, makes good decisions, is defensively responsible, a team leader and obviously highly skilled. There may still be an adjustment period, and like anyone his age he could still stand to get even bigger and stronger, but I can see him starting the season at least with limited (and slowly growing) minutes. 

Quinn is also showing more potential. He still needs development, but he has seemed to get better and better as this tournament has gone on. 

I don't disagree with most of what was said about Peterka (in response to my assessment) and maybe the floating was due to the extra ice time, it's possible, but I still see him as a 2-3 year from now guy if he keeps developing/improving. Still makes him a good pick if that turns out to be true. 

Devon Levi looks like a guy we should have drafted. 7th round! Florida might have a good one there. 

27 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Generally agree, but some slightly different takes.  Watched Quinn closely too and in general thought he had a stronger game against Finland, but so did most of the team.  I wondered if he was moved off of Byfield's line late in the game.  I actually thought Perfetti had a better game tonight than his previous one, but agree with you that Buffalo did the right thing to pass on him.

One player I have grown to really like is Peyton Krebs....that kid is relentless!

Krebs is all out, Vegas got a good one there. I see him as a Mike Richards in his prime.

Tourigny mixed up the lines in the third, not sure why.

The only guy that Perfetti might beat in a puck battle is Cole Caufield. Yeah I don’t like little guys unless they play with some grit. Perfetti is not small but plays smaller than he is. Pokes at the puck like it was a live snake when there is a chance of body contact.

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Sweden had the worst team of 2 decades for sure, it showed tonight eventhough it was a good game. 

Let's hope we can produce some good ***** next year, this year was a damn disaster of a team.

Your crew started well tonight but just couldn't sustain it.  Very tough way to lose with that late one.

Hope you have a prosperous & happy new year.  (The Finn game not withstanding.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Krebs is all out, Vegas got a good one there. I see him as a Mike Richards in his prime.

Tourigny mixed up the lines in the third, not sure why.

The only guy that Perfetti might beat in a puck battle is Cole Caufield. Yeah I don’t like little guys unless they play with some grit. Perfetti is not small but plays smaller than he is. Pokes at the puck like it was a live snake when there is a chance of body contact.

Krebs has been solid. I think that injury he got before being drafted made him fall. I know he was rehabbing and training with Gary Roberts.

I have been impressed with all 4  Sabres prospects out there. Johnson is a great skater and looks pretty smooth. Cozens is gonna be on the Sabres this year. Man is Cozens good. I love JJ Peterka as I feel they got a solid player and a very good skater. Quinn seems like he’s getting better but what is nice is he’s defensively responsible. Sabres fans should finally be excited. 

One thing that I can’t believe is people are already writing off Casey Mitts but they rushed him up too quickly and hopefully we see improvement out of him. I think it’s too early to give up on him.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.