GDT: World Junior Championships

dudacek

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

Dylan Cozens has been a horse.  My goodness does he control play with is size, strength, and work. 

No doubt we've found our power forward.  The only question will be is he our next 2C, or our next 1RW.

It's a great question. 

Generally we could be reasonably satisfied with the thought that he's probably going to be a really good player either way, but it's kind of dizzying to think of our current and future C depth outlook if Cozens is on wing. We have nothing in the centre pipeline if he doesn't end up there. 

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I officially hate Trevor Zegras.

He celebrates goals with a Bryan Smolinski smirk.

Unforgivable.

It will be interesting to see how the Cozens vs. Zegras careers evolve.  I was torn back in 2019 on which player to take when our pick was up.  I liked both, but today I LOVE Cozen's overall game despite Zegras' high skill.

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's a great question. 

Generally we could be reasonably satisfied with the thought that he's probably going to be a really good player either way, but it's kind of dizzying to think of our current and future C depth outlook if Cozens is on wing. We have nothing in the centre pipeline if he doesn't end up there. 

And that may force our hand.  I hope not.  I hope he naturally progresses into center ice, but boy his work along the boards and down low is a thing of beauty.  He could be one hell of a wing.

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

And that may force our hand.  I hope not.  I hope he naturally progresses into center ice, but boy his work along the boards and down low is a thing of beauty.  He could be one hell of a wing.

His speed is an asset in back checking and because he is often the first forward back he plays deep and supports the D very well. Probably a combination of the coach’s wishes and centre being in his DNA.

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I just saw Ryan Johnson drill one in for USA vs SWE.  

Nice looking kid this Johnson.  I can see him getting bigger and he already is smart.  

Yes....and has really good wheels as well.  Having a LH shot D with speed is something we can use more of.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

I just saw Ryan Johnson drill one in for USA vs SWE.  

Nice looking kid this Johnson.  I can see him getting bigger and he already is smart.  

This is easily the best WJC ever for the Sabres.

We’ve had excellent performances before (Mittelstadt, Reinhart) but never four, and all them producing.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is easily the best WJC ever for the Sabres.

We’ve had excellent performances before (Mittelstadt, Reinhart) but never four, and all them producing.

Right on.  Nice to see we may have four players in this tournament that can be NHL players - gotta get the development side down.  

Cozens looks like a man versus boys and he wears that C well.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Right on.  Nice to see we may have four players in this tournament that can be NHL players - gotta get the development side down.  

Cozens looks like a man versus boys and he wears that C well.  

Considering he'd normally be in the NHL, it's fair to say he is. 

Cozens dominating and is the key player and co-captain on Team Canada leading the tourney in points...great to see a Sabre in this spot and looks like we might really have something great with this kid...

Are there any examples of players with this level of dominance at the WJC's flaming out in the NHL?

Matchups set for tomorrow’s Quarterfinals.

Russia vs Germany           Askarov has been average. Stuetzle and Peterka magic?       

Finland vs Sweden            A great rivalry, one contender will be gone. Semi-Finnal?

Canada vs Czechia           Should not be a problem if they come out with their hair on fire. Quinn’s turn?

USA vs Slovakia                 They have found their stride and Zegras is the man. Johnson on the rise?

Edited by French Collection

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.